The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

What's it like living in Manchester?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Bellissima
what's it like compared to living in london?

i want to live in london because i love the city but the course in manc is awesome..

obviously i will choose course over city..

cheaper, friendlier, better.
There was some study showing that mancs have a better quality of life than londonders... Depends how you measure it of course, londoners have higher average wages but they have to spend more just on the insane cost of living there.

There's a chinatown and it's not bad compared to some places where the coucil just bang some dragon rubbish bins outside a restaurant and call it chinatown.:wink: but imo the one in liverpool is bigger and more organic looking lpool used to be a really major port so they had a lot of chinese sailors coming through and some non restaurant chinese businesses.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 41
Original post by hasan4life
theirs plenty of chinese here lol, and yh lots of restaurants for everybody, i have a big one like 5 mins from me :smile:

u live near thai pan???
Original post by goussberry
You saw photos?! Where??

Btw i read somewhere that oak house lower flats flood a lot!

There are various photos of various different accommodation at Manchester in this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1944016

I'm in a ground floor flat in Oak House (well, they call them flats but they're actually maisonettes) and not only have we never been flooded, I've never heard of anyone being flooded, and nor have I ever seen any evidence of flooding.

Probably a greater danger is fire - someone (through their own idiocy) managed to gut their entire kitchen a few months back :rolleyes:
Reply 43
Original post by Origami Bullets
There are various photos of various different accommodation at Manchester in this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1944016

I'm in a ground floor flat in Oak House (well, they call them flats but they're actually maisonettes) and not only have we never been flooded, I've never heard of anyone being flooded, and nor have I ever seen any evidence of flooding.

Probably a greater danger is fire - someone (through their own idiocy) managed to gut their entire kitchen a few months back :rolleyes:

Sorry I hadn't realised, just I read on a thread that was the case :smile: thank you for the link tho i'll have a looksie now :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44

Also, as you live in halls and have been through the process, I was wondering: do they give accomm on a first come first serve basis? Or do they wait til results day to start allocating places? And if it is first come first served, how soon after applying did you hear from them? Sorry for all the Qs :smile:
What's the weather really like up there? How is it compared to London, especially?

Really rainy, sunny, grey, cold, ..etc. How much does it really rain in Manchester? Everyday? every other day? Couple of times a week? Does it rain hard?
Also, as you live in halls and have been through the process, I was wondering: do they give accomm on a first come first serve basis? Or do they wait til results day to start allocating places? And if it is first come first served, how soon after applying did you hear from them? Sorry for all the Qs :smile:

It's very hard to tell the extent to which it's a first come first serve thing. I applied on my gap year, as soon as I got an email (in January) and the offer came through in June (yes, I did just check my emails!), which is before the accommodation is doled out for non-gappers. I got my first choice, and I know a load of people who didn't have gap years who also got their first choice.

Basically, get your application in as soon as you can, but don't fret too much about it - everyone's guaranteed accommodation, and if you really don't like it then you can always move halls.
Reply 47
It's very hard to tell the extent to which it's a first come first serve thing. I applied on my gap year, as soon as I got an email (in January) and the offer came through in June (yes, I did just check my emails!), which is before the accommodation is doled out for non-gappers. I got my first choice, and I know a load of people who didn't have gap years who also got their first choice.

Basically, get your application in as soon as you can, but don't fret too much about it - everyone's guaranteed accommodation, and if you really don't like it then you can always move halls.

Well I already got my application in, but I'm just keen to find out where i'll be living next year :smile: Aww thanks for checking that! well if it took best part of 6 months to come through I can probably expect to be waiting for a while then.I didn't think there was a first choice, cuz they said the accomm you put down are only *preferences*... Hmm, well I don't mind whichever of the 3 I put down, so yeah.. Thanks for the info anw :smile:
Well I already got my application in, but I'm just keen to find out where i'll be living next year :smile: Aww thanks for checking that! well if it took best part of 6 months to come through I can probably expect to be waiting for a while then.I didn't think there was a first choice, cuz they said the accomm you put down are only *preferences*... Hmm, well I don't mind whichever of the 3 I put down, so yeah.. Thanks for the info anw :smile:

They don't allocate accommodation for offer holders until your offer becomes unconditional. I.e. you achieve their requirement. So it'll be mid-august or whenever results day is before you get allocation
Reply 49
Original post by 4RealBlud
What's the weather really like up there? How is it compared to London, especially?

Really rainy, sunny, grey, cold, ..etc. How much does it really rain in Manchester? Everyday? every other day? Couple of times a week? Does it rain hard?

Not hard like a monsoon... small droplet size, like mist with attitude really.
Reply 50
Original post by hughcapet
It's like this:

If I had any rep left, and my rep actually meant anything...

It hasn't rained today though!
Original post by hughcapet
It's like this:

Tbf, it's barely rained this academic year
Reply 52
Original post by victoryshinesonus
They don't allocate accommodation for offer holders until your offer becomes unconditional. I.e. you achieve their requirement. So it'll be mid-august or whenever results day is before you get allocation

Then how can they try give most of us our preferences?
Reply 53
Yeah I think I will :biggrin: it definitely seems my kind of place :smile:

is this what you mean? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZHK4YRspTo&feature=related

Yeah thats her :woo:
I see her a lot around Oxford Road with massive carrier bags and luggages.
Reply 54

It is colder than London on average and it does rain more, but not by a great deal. In the past week I dont remember it raining, I do remember the week before it rained for a very short period and was like heavy rain but then it went away and there wasnt any rain for the rest of the week. I think the fact its difficult for me to remember when it has rained should show you that it really isn't something that happens every other day.

However during the Winter term I would say it rains a couple of times a week but thats same anywhere
Reply 55
Original post by Luxray

Hahah thanks for the warning, if I saw her on a bus within my first week there I'd wanna go running back home, she seems scary
Hahah thanks for the warning, if I saw her on a bus within my first week there I'd wanna go running back home, she seems scary

Nah, she's completely harmless. All she wants to do is hand you one of her leaflets - I've never heard of her doing anything other than that, snoozing at bus stops and moving multiple oversized suitcases around!

I think secretly a lot of Manchester students have a bit of a soft spot for the Crazy Bus Lady - I've heard of a few different people who've taken her home and let her sleep on their sofa!
Original post by bad8oy
u live near thai pan???

no, the one on oxford road.

its the same as any other city tbh.

Original post by Welsh Leprecaun
Tbf, it's barely rained this academic year

lol i love your sig, made me :giggle:

Original post by Luxray

i hear so much bout the crazy lady, i need to meet her :tongue:
Original post by hasan4life
no, the one on oxford road.

its the same as any other city tbh.

lol i love your sig, made me :giggle:

i hear so much bout the crazy lady, i need to meet her :tongue:

Are there many Southerners at UoM, like from London/Home Counties? Many rich kids? Also, why is student satisfaction so low?! :l
Original post by victoryshinesonus
Are there many Southerners at UoM, like from London/Home Counties? Many rich kids? Also, why is student satisfaction so low?! :l

i dont go to uom, i go the other one :ninja:
theres so many ppl from different places, different countries and cultures. there might be rich ppl, only met like 2.
idk really, but imo uom is a really nice uni to go to.

Quick Reply