Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Comedy form suitable for me?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can be quite funny, but I need a prompt, so no stand-up, too much of a blank slate. I can't resist being funny when doing things like live blogging, responding to a thing that's happening with quips. Is there any established comedy form that incorporates that sort of quick-fire spoof commentary? The only thing I can think of is those video voice-overs Hugh Dennis used to do on Mock the Week.
    • 71 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try some of those voice-overs then?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I also much like comedy movies and comedy episode. Is it suitable for me. I am 25 old female. Some people say it would be harmful to you. suggest me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends what your interests are really I guess. You could do short videos about news items in a Charlie Brooker style for instance. Or even do the Hugh Dennis voiceovers in your own style, but the amount of clips you'd need and the editing etc may take too much effort. Also things like co-hosting a radio show or a film review show etc.

You could look into doing short sketches about things. If you're interested in music you could do a blog talking about new releases, or if you like sport you could do something similar to The Fiver section in the The Guardian. You'd still be making quips they would just be written.

Things like stand-up, TV etc is more difficult to do if you're just starting out on your own but there's no reason you couldn't transition into to it after a while if you wanted to (after enough practice you may start to become your own prompt and arguably stand-up along with Brooker's Screenwipe/ The Daily Show style news reviewing would be two most suitable comedy forms I think).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried radio?
    • 55 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sketch is good in that you can make the stimulus whatever you want it to be and you always seem to get the credit for the gags in the sketches you make

Unfortunately the comedy circuit seems to have it so that stand-up is by far the easiest to get involved with outside of acting. A lot of comedians were either stand-up or actors previously...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at Mystery Science Theater 3000. It was a cult TV show that basically consists of three characters watching old B-movies and keeping a running commentary, one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKu9s...eature=related

The main guys behind it now do Rifftrax, downloadable commentaries for modern and classic movies, might be something you could try, just watch stuff like awful films and trash TV and record whatever comic musings come into your head.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 10, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.