Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sunday trading laws

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So there is this article which states that the Chancellor is to suspend Sunday trading laws for eight weeks during the Olympics.

Already, there are (religious) people slamming this as 'anti-Christian', etc, etc. Apart from the obvious Christian objections, there are also people who feel Sunday should be 'special' or that Sunday trading laws allows people to have time off with their family.

So, all this commotion for only an eight week suspension? Isn't it about time we followed the lead of Scotland and removed Sunday trading laws all together? Whilst we are at it, isn't it about time we remove Bishops from the House of Lords and take steps to becoming a truly secular democracy?

I'm not religious, so why should I be inconvenienced by shops shut on a Sunday for (mostly) religious reasons? Likewise I would be quite happy to work in a shop on Sunday, why should I be prevented from doing so? What about people of other faiths who don't observe the sabbath? Why should they also be inconvenienced?

This is why religion needs to stay out of politics.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empire08)
    So there is this article which states that the Chancellor is to suspend Sunday trading laws for eight weeks during the Olympics.

Already, there are (religious) people slamming this as 'anti-Christian', etc, etc. Apart from the obvious Christian objections, there are also people who feel Sunday should be 'special' or that Sunday trading laws allows people to have time off with their family.

So, all this commotion for only an eight week suspension? Isn't it about time we followed the lead of Scotland and removed Sunday trading laws all together? Whilst we are at it, isn't it about time we remove Bishops from the House of Lords and take steps to becoming a truly secular democracy?

I'm not religious, so why should I be inconvenienced by shops shut on a Sunday for (mostly) religious reasons? Likewise I would be quite happy to work in a shop on Sunday, why should I be prevented from doing so? What about people of other faiths who don't observe the sabbath? Why should they also be inconvenienced?

This is why religion needs to stay out of politics.
    I've no problem with those who want to work on a Sunday and I would do it myself, but I'm hardly going to force someone who is religious to work on a Sunday if they don't want to.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Abolish the trading laws altogether.

I would also remove the right to opt out of working on a Sunday. I'm sure there are hundreds of less fussy people who'd love yer job
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    I quite like the idea of one day a week when people do not have to work. People need rest (and the opportunity to spend time with their families).

But as many of the activities people like to do to relax involve other people having to work, in today's society, I can't see it happening.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    Forcing other people to observe your beliefs and traditions is a form of religious tyranny, if Christians feel the need to go to church and avoid shopping on a Sunday then fair enough, I absolutely uphold their right to make their own decisions. But please don't try and limit me with your religious claptrap.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    Abolish the trading laws altogether.

I would also remove the right to opt out of working on a Sunday. I'm sure there are hundreds of less fussy people who'd love yer job
    Counts as religious descrimination. Wouldn't happen I don't think.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    Iv'e no problem with those who want to work on a Sunday and I would do it myself, but I'm hardly going to force someone who is religious to work on a Sunday if they don't want to.
    Exactly. Isn't that the point? If someone wants to work on Sunday, great. If they don't because they are Christian, fine that's their choice.

Either way people should have the choice to do what they want, without the Government passing laws that remove or restrict that choice, which ultimately leads to erosion of freedom and liberty.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree that the laws are beyond stupid. We should start moving away from silly laws when their only real reasoning is because nobody can be bothered to change them or because they've always been there.

Religion should have no place in the economic or trading laws of a country. We are supposed to be living in the 21st century not the 17th.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the trading laws are quite old fashioned anyway. Fair enough, if it's against your religion to work on a Sunday then that's up to you, and there are plenty of people who would be willing to work hours on a Sunday, particularly if the rate of pay was higher (as it is in some places) but surely shops opening AT ALL (as most do) goes against religious "rules" anyway, so why not just extend to normal opening hours!

I do think there needs to be rules that would prevent individuals from working a seven day week, though. The staff rotas should be changed so that we each get at least one full day off work each week.. if supermarkets start opening 7 full days a week for example you'll get people trying to work all hours- and that's not healthy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol at people pretending to care about the bible on Sundays when it involves them having an excuse not to work. They should make a rule saying you can only have a day off if you go to church every Sunday.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. Isn't that the point? If someone wants to work on Sunday, great. If they don't because they are Christian, fine that's their choice.

Either way people should have the choice to do what they want, without the Government passing laws that remove or restrict that choice, which ultimately leads to erosion of freedom and liberty.
    I think the government has tried at least to accomodate everyone. Maybe we can agree they they can do better.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    I do think there needs to be rules that would prevent individuals from working a seven day week, though.
    I think that laws to this effect already exist (EU Working Time Directive) correct me if I'm wrong though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a catholic and totally support abolishing these archaic laws. It's bloody annoying when i'm hungry and all the shops are shut.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do think there needs to be rules that would prevent individuals from working a seven day week, though. The staff rotas should be changed so that we each get at least one full day off work each week.. if supermarkets start opening 7 full days a week for example you'll get people trying to work all hours- and that's not healthy.
    I think that laws to this effect already exist (EU Working Time Directive) correct me if I'm wrong though.
    There is a maximum of 48 hours a week, but you can opt out. So the rules prevent people from working if they don't want to, but they don't protect the sanity of the people who would like to.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh does it? Good. I knew there was one that prevents you from working over a certain number of hours, but wasn't sure whether it allowed you to spread those hours over 7 days or not.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think sunday trading laws are pretty stupid.

I work all weekend and two weeknights on top of college and I'd appreciate it if I could fit all my hours into a sunday if we opened longer giving me a weeknight off for my studies.

Damn driving lessons and their expense, when I pass, I shall be free !
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh does it? Good. I knew there was one that prevents you from working over a certain number of hours, but wasn't sure whether it allowed you to spread those hours over 7 days or not.
    Apparently you must have a "weekly rest of 24 hours uninterrupted, on top of the daily rest in art 3, but derogation justifiable for technical, organisational or work reasons". You can't opt out of this (but I'm not sure how the last phrase is generally interpreted).
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Having been in the Netherlands and France where most shops are closed on a Sunday, and loving the peace and quiet, I'd like to have less Sunday opening, not more. So if there is a need (I doubt) for longer opening during the Olympics, it should be around where the Olympic venues are, and be say noon-8pm.

There is more to life than shopping.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why should the economy slow down on a Sunday?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm an ardent secular humanist, but I do believe that having restrictions on Sunday trading is important. More than anything it gives us poor retail staff a break - when I do work Sundays (not today, however) - I am more relaxed because I know I get to have a lie in and an early exit compared to my normal 6-9 hour shifts.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 19, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.