The Student Room Group

Plan B: 'Chav is a derogatory phrase'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Benniboi1
I had written a long comment that I was about to post, but then I realised that it will do nothing but annoy anyone who believes 'chavs' are the scum of the earth and it's their own fault. That is not what I want to do.

'Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”
Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.'

Now, I'm not very religious but I think there are some bits of the bible that everyone should follow, this being one of them. Please take a walk in their shoes; growing up without the same kind of parenting as most of us have, growing up very angry at the people who seem to have luxurious easy lives, growing up with a massive stereotype overshadowing them. Then going to school and being punished because they aren't like everyone else, then they make friends with people who are the same as them but that leads them to more violence etc.

This all started from a bad education system, clearly if we think we can fix the problem by sweeping it under the carpet then we have not been educated very well either.

So anyone who doesn't have a bad family life is exempt from problems too?

Face it, life is tough; everyone has problems. The difference is that most people do not take their woes out on other people.

Surely they should use it as an incentive to better themselves and not follow the parents' route as opposed to throwing their toys out of their pram?
considering this is coming from 'plan b' himself you cant really take his opinion on it very seriously now can you :rolleyes:
Original post by lukas1051
Calling someone a "n*****" is unacceptable because you are mocking them for something they have no control over - ie. their skin colour. The same goes for calling someone a "faggot", you are making fun of them because of their sexuality which they have no control over.

"Chav" on the other hand is a term applied to people who chose to behave in a specific manner, and an unpleasant one at that, it is not something they cannot or should not change. "Chav" does not refer to lower class people, or people from a certain place, or people of a certain ethnicity. It refers to people who are violent and abusive and generally useless to society. I think you have to be a pretty horrible person to be labelled a chav by multiple people, I'm sure they can deal with being called a name considering the stuff they no doubt come out with.

I don't often agree with your posts but this one is bang on the money.

I will also add that it is incredibly insulting for people to say that calling someone a chav is a dig at how they are working class etc. As if all working class people are chavs. Piss off.

Being a chav is all about the attitude and what you do.

Do you abuse random people in the street for no reason?

Do you drink white lightening down the park with your homies at night?

Do you call your kids Chardonnay etc?

Do you dress in trackies all the time?

Are you showing a complete unwillingness to learn anything?

If so, you are a chav. If not, you are not a chav. So people who say this equals working class can go do one.
Original post by Lil Piranha
If anyone wants proof that chav =/= poor, look at Katie Price / TOWIE / Made in Chelsea. They're like the Kings and Queens of Chav.

Err, why is Made In Chelsea in that group?
Can confirm that the talk about 'chav' being about a name for a sub-section of the working class based on their behaviour is bull****, when I'm wearing trackies and a cap and I talk how I usually talk people will say I'm a chav or that I 'look like a chav' as though skirting around the implication makes it okay. There's no behaviour to latch on to in that, just clothes and speech and how that plays into class stereotypes. If everybody waited to see a 'chav' doing something deserving of the phrase before they used it then nobody would ever say it cause it's a snap judgment based on stupid things, not an assessment of an individual's behaviour at the time you meet them.
Err, why is Made In Chelsea in that group?

Have you ever watched it?? o.O It's just TOWIE but in a more expensive get-up.
Original post by Iron Lady
So anyone who doesn't have a bad family life is exempt from problems too?

Face it, life is tough; everyone has problems. The difference is that most people do not take their woes out on other people.

Surely they should use it as an incentive to better themselves and not follow the parents' route as opposed to throwing their toys out of their pram?

No, but their problem's will be a lot different to the problem's of the group we are discussing.

Indeed life is tough, but we aren't born to know how to improve our lives, that's something fundamental to having a good life that is taught to us as a child. But for some they aren't taught how to improve their lives in non-violent ways.

Yes but as I said, they don't know how to improve their lives. After they have left school it's almost impossible for them to change their lives as there is nobody to teach them how to.
Original post by Lil Piranha
Have you ever watched it?? o.O It's just TOWIE but in a more expensive get-up.

Yeah I've watched it.

Chav's and the cast of Made in Chelsea couldn't be more different from each other.

Bizarre comment.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 108
I believe the term chav is a lot more to do with a persons attitude to life and other people rather than how much money they have or even the way they dress.

I remember several people at my school whose parents were quite well off yet the attitude that they had still meant they were a chavs even if they wore nice clothes and had nice phones.
Reply 109
Original post by lukas1051
Calling someone a "n*****" is unacceptable because you are mocking them for something they have no control over - ie. their skin colour. The same goes for calling someone a "faggot", you are making fun of them because of their sexuality which they have no control over.

"Chav" on the other hand is a term applied to people who chose to behave in a specific manner, and an unpleasant one at that, it is not something they cannot or should not change. "Chav" does not refer to lower class people, or people from a certain place, or people of a certain ethnicity. It refers to people who are violent and abusive and generally useless to society. I think you have to be a pretty horrible person to be labelled a chav by multiple people, I'm sure they can deal with being called a name considering the stuff they no doubt come out with.

So do you think you can't tell a chav based on appearance?

What about all these people that call Tulisa and Cheryl cole and cher lloyd chavs? Are they right?
Chav is certainly not a complement. It's not the same as the colour of your skin, ethnic origin or gender though. You can avoid dressing in a certain manner.
Original post by worker13
So do you think you can't tell a chav based on appearance?

What about all these people that call Tulisa and Cheryl cole and cher lloyd chavs? Are they right?

I don't think you can. Tulisa in her teenage years would be what most people call a chav but i don't think she was actually violent, just wore stereotypical 'chav' clothes. She certainly can't be called a chav now, not too sure about the other too but I've never seen any 'chavs' that look like Cher Lloyd or Cheryl Cole though.
I missed your edit:

It depends on their definition. Tracksuits should only be worn during sport, otherwise it creates a negative impression. Sorry, but it does.

But why? Because you've reduced those people to the style of clothes they wear, to which you have applied your own negative stereotypes. How is this not a problem with you rather than the 'chavs'?

They may come across as arrogant or annoying, but it really depends on how they speak / dress / attitude towards others. To be honest, I know middle class people I'd describe as chav like. However, do they go around burning bus shelters? Shouting abuse at elderly people? Greeting each other with 'oryt mate, we were propah munted last nite!'? Have little ambition beyond their nights out? Etc. People do not discriminate towards the working class, they can be perfectly well-mannered, so they're not 'chavs'.

When middle class people behave antisocially, it's called 'banter'.
Original post by KimKallstrom
I don't often agree with your posts but this one is bang on the money.

I will also add that it is incredibly insulting for people to say that calling someone a chav is a dig at how they are working class etc. As if all working class people are chavs. Piss off.

Being a chav is all about the attitude and what you do.

Do you abuse random people in the street for no reason?

Do you drink white lightening down the park with your homies at night?

Do you call your kids Chardonnay etc?
Do you dress in trackies all the time?
Are you showing a complete unwillingness to learn anything?

If so, you are a chav. If not, you are not a chav. So people who say this equals working class can go do one.

why do those matter?
Reply 114
I don't think you can. Tulisa in her teenage years would be what most people call a chav but i don't think she was actually violent, just wore stereotypical 'chav' clothes. She certainly can't be called a chav now, not too sure about the other too but I've never seen any 'chavs' that look like Cher Lloyd or Cheryl Cole though.

All three of them are chavs: Cheryl Cole attacked a toilet cleaner in 2002 in Surrey, have you heard Tulisa's accent? And Cher Lloyd is revolting.
Reply 115
Original post by bananaterracottapie
why do those matter?

Is that a serious question?
Original post by bananaterracottapie
why do those matter?

That's down to opinion but irrespective of that they are still common traits with chavs that are not "working class things."
All three of them are chavs: Cheryl Cole attacked a toilet cleaner in 2002 in Surrey, have you heard Tulisa's accent? And Cher Lloyd is revolting.

I was taking your opinion seriously until you said this, such comments are not helpful.

John Prescot punched someone once, is he a chav too? Just because Cher Lloyds music is not to your taste (nor mine either tbh, I don't like the way she puts 'U' in every song name) doesn't mean she is a chav.
Reply 118

This right here is the problem. Chav is a code word.
Original post by worker13
This right here is the problem. Chav is a code word.

Yeah I agree. Most people in my year would be classed by the majority as chav's, but nobody in my year (to my knowledge anyway, they may have been 1 or 2 out of 200) were involved in the riots in B'ham in August.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending