The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Whizz
I meant that it's still GKT to the students who joined this year. Yes, technically, its KCLSOMGKT (or whatever :rolleyes: ) but as Renal quite rightly pointed out, it will take more than a letterhead to change the name.

Students often struggle against change - just like how BL students are fending of QMUL, GKT students will fend off the imposing doom of being consumed by Kings ...

You already have been. RE-read what Renal is saying. In 5 years time, when all your I knew it as GKT have left, then KCL will have won.

What's in a name? Quite a lot.

Our dean has it from the top dog at QMUL that there are no plans afoot to remove Barts and The London from our school name.
Reply 21
Whizz
I meant that it's still GKT to the students who joined this year. Yes, technically, its KCLSOMGKT (or whatever :rolleyes: ) but as Renal quite rightly pointed out, it will take more than a letterhead to change the name.
Jo, this is actually what I was saying.

But yes, we all know that GKT has got ****ed over by strand poly already, new name, removal of their own sabb, essentially absorbed into KCLSU...
Reply 22
Renal
Jo, this is actually what I was saying.

But yes, we all know that GKT has got ****ed over by strand poly already, new name, removal of their own sabb, essentially absorbed into KCLSU...

Mark, in that case - what you chattin'? :wink: :biggrin: You only have to look at our dental school and how to them it's QM, and then at applicants who are all 'QM' rather than 'BL'... And that's an institution still hanging on to its ID...

Once the people who know are outta the system, who is there to uphold? Especially when the original context is lost as the name hasn't been the name that you're being told to keep on for some 5 years???
Reply 23
Fluffy
Our dean has it from the top dog at QMUL that there are no plans afoot to remove Barts and The London from our school name.

Famous last words :wink:

Once the people who know are outta the system, who is there to uphold? Especially when the original context is lost as the name hasn't been the name that you're being told to keep on for some 5 years???

True, but GKT is still in the name (though its kinda lost amoung the rest of the mouthful of letters:rolleyes: ). I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it pans out. I know some graduates who still remember the uproar when UMDS was changed to GKT.
Reply 24
I dunno if Fluff has noticed the plethora of 'Barts' students despite the fact that the institution hasn't existed in 11 years?
Reply 25
gkt has a ladies cricket team too!

(notice how i call it GKT) ...i dont think the whole GKT thing will wear out that quickly, our Rag Mag, Tshirts and Stickers all has GKTrag2006 on them, and everyone's still going mental over the whole rebranding. At the end of the day we'll always be separate from the strand because of the distance, and the fact that they might have changed our name, but out of habit it'll be shortened to GKT for years to come.
Whizz
It's GKT - and i'm a first year! :smile:

It's just a shame that all those people who graduated last year graduated from somewhere which no longer exists. So much for tradition! Hope they don't merge the sports teams - that would cause an uproar beyond belief!

and a few years back it was united medical and dentist schools or something like that wasn't it?
brand names have a nack of slow erosion.
first stop will be to deny money to any sports club still branding themselves GKT - force them to drop the brand. when you lose the sports, then you lose the spirit. the rest will trail off very quickly.
Reply 27
Magali
(notice how i call it GKT) ...i dont think the whole GKT thing will wear out that quickly, our Rag Mag, Tshirts and Stickers all has GKTrag2006 on them, and everyone's still going mental over the whole rebranding.
To dredge...

So much for predictions, given that KCLSU now have a single combined RAG (that we still thrashed).
my bros just started at barts this year- he loves it and it was his first choice. although now he says if i get the chance to go to kings i should take it.

barts is like the family uni- both me uncle and bro studied/study there lol. hopeflly il b able to follow in their path

allegedly in barts its more relaxed- how good you become is down to you/
Reply 29
Renal
To dredge...

So much for predictions, given that KCLSU now have a single combined RAG (that we still thrashed).

how much did you make? cos we broke £100k...

strand rag was always a joke, it barely existed in the first place...

its a shame about the name, but it did used to be UMDS, and before that guy's and st. thomas'... so kings medics have been treated like this by the uni for generations... but the old boys don't let you forget the fact, so i reckon it'll be longer than 5 years before its forgotten... i for one am still signing the ceiling at tommies bar when i graduate and i don't care if they've transformed it into a negative pressure ward when i do! :p:
medic_bex

its a shame about the name, but it did used to be UMDS, and before that guy's and st. thomas'... so kings medics have been treated like this by the uni for generations... but the old boys don't let you forget the fact, so i reckon it'll be longer than 5 years before its forgotten... i for one am still signing the ceiling at tommies bar when i graduate and i don't care if they've transformed it into a negative pressure ward when i do! :p:

was gonna say!
didn't even realise you were old enough to have been at GKT when tommies still was. tho i suppose it didn't close until some time after chrimbo 2004. i don't remember exactly when. i remember that was the last christmas show there.
Reply 31
medic_bex

We did £150k last year (just BL, no QMUL!), and I was told we thrashed that this year... Renal will know more, being heavily involved in our Rag effort...
Reply 32
£139k :s-smilie:

Fewer hardcore, but harder hardcore - the top three or four kids this year thrashed their equivilant from last year.

Come on, we could merge with QM RAG and hardly notice the difference - at least this year they raised more than an individual from BL. :wink:
Reply 33
What did QM make last year after their ball farce - £1k?
Reply 34
Fluffy
What did QM make last year after their ball farce - £1k?
Not entirely clear, 5k was mentioned, dunno whether that was pre- or post-fiasco.

I suspect it's the latter, even if every member of their ISOC gave only a quid, they'd prolly get five grand in a morning. :fuhrer:
Fluffy
Oh! this is exactly the choice I had to make.

I went for Barts as the admissions staff at KCL were rude beyond belief, while BL always treated you politely and professionally. Also the course at BL suited me more.

I'd go and revisit each and get a vibe for them in a non-open day context.

No offence Fluffy i no ur top rated n all, but ppl at Kings were quite kool with me. I found dem more comforting then da admin staff at barts.

Neways, I had to make the same decision. so what i did was physically go to each uni's campus n den compared.For me kings seemed a bit more active.
crazyskoolkid
No offence Fluffy i no ur top rated n all, but ppl at Kings were quite kool with me. I found dem more comforting then da admin staff at barts.

Neways, I had to make the same decision. so what i did was physically go to each uni's campus n den compared.For me kings seemed a bit more active.

if you get into medical school i swear i'm going to go postal in the admin office...
Reply 37
crazyskoolkid

KCL are ruder than rude - and if RobotChicken agrees, then I'm happy it's a realistic impression to give :biggrin:

To be honest, BL admissions have had a very bad year this year. Hannah Eno, our old head of admissions (and an award winning one at that!) left to retrain as a SaLT at the beginning of the acaedmic year, and the new head didn't work out. They've been left with only the 2 assistants (1 med and 1 dent) since about February (Hannah went back in her Easter hols to help sort out the back log), and it's been really had work on them both.
Fluffy
KCL are ruder than rude - and if RobotChicken agrees, then I'm happy it's a realistic impression to give :biggrin:

To be honest, BL admissions have had a very bad year this year. Hannah Eno, our old head of admissions (and an award winning one at that!) left to retrain as a SaLT at the beginning of the acaedmic year, and the new head didn't work out. They've been left with only the 2 assistants (1 med and 1 dent) since about February (Hannah went back in her Easter hols to help sort out the back log), and it's been really had work on them both.

KCL registry people are arse bandits, as are alot fo the admissions staff bar a lass called Heidi.
But of course those are staff you rarely have anything to do with again, and aren't representative of the rest of the uni.

All over the world the majority of admissions staff are arseholes bitter at the fact these people are younger and have better prospects for them. hHe one thing they can do is wield what petty little power they do have to make them feel better about themselves.

But that said, call me a language snob, but if i was in admissions and had an inkling someone used language like 'dem' 'dat' 'da' 'neways' or, good forbid, 'kool', i would be quite rude too.
Like i am being now...
Reply 39
innit....

D'Oh!

Latest

Trending

Trending