Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cats and hunting

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Do you know why that is? I just assumed all cats were awesome hunters.
    I think we just kept them in for too long when we first got them so they became too domesticated. They now refuse to go outside in the winter or when it's raining :teehee: However, it does have the disadvantage of them refusing to go to the toilet outside, so they stink out the house instead :sad:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My cats use to catch birds and bats (I have two and they would work together in catching their prey- even though they do not get on otherwise..)-they would just play with them (dead or alive)- though nothing was left gory behind (apart from one case)

But then we told them off when they would bring them into the house so they have stopped doing it They are lovely really

It is in their nature to act as predators (gives them a thrill) and they bring it home to you usually as a present (apparently sign of gratitude)..
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    We had three pigeons that lived in our garden - two adults and a baby. The baby had only just started coming out with the parents when we saw our cat attacking it. It was a bit too big for her to manage so she just left it there. There were fluffy white feathers all over the garden - such a mess and I was really upset for the parent pigeons. I was so angry with her for doing it that I wouldn't stroke her all day.

Edit: We also have birds that live in the shed and when the door is slightly open she would stand at the door so they couldn't go out and the birds would be going mental. She didn't even give them a chance!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    We live behind a field and our cat is a brilliant hunter, but we've fortunately managed to train her to never bring her prey inside any more. She's caught all sorts (a HUGE bird once, and she can carry birds without injuring them as well, so that she can 'play' with them later, ughhh) and eats mice etc in pretty much their entirety, only ever leaving behind the skulls. It's gross, but I really have to admire her stealth!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    My bf's cat is a house cat really but when he was living back at his Mum's he used to get outside sometimes. One day he was sitting staring at the drawer of a dressing unit and wouldn't move for ages. Turned out he'd brought in a rabbit but had been playing with it and it had escaped from him, and hidden in the drawer by crawling in the back of it. Marc managed to get it out so it escaped, only damage done was some pee on the clothes in the drawer

Cat also brought back mice fairly regularly. I was heading to the toilet one morning and stopped to stroke the cat who was sitting in a doorway. He moved round and there was a half dead mouse underneath him.... boke!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    My moggie will catch just about anything.

My Siamese on the other hand seems to wait for my moggie to catch something and then claim it as his own

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 18, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered animals and pets threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.