Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Spanking children as a punishment (poll included)

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Should children be spanked as a punishment?
    Yes
    50.97%
    No
    49.03%

• 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    That was just a prod at his constant use of the term in other debates I've has with him.
    I see but my point still stands a lot of people on here seem to think it's this huge insult.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chronist)
    "I can't explain why what you're doing is wrong so I'm just going to hit you"
    Cheers for that. That was posted by someone who voted no and I wanted to hear from someone who voted yes. Imbecile.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beebumble)
    This being a student forum there'd be very few parents.
    Whilst not a parent myself my views are based on what I've heard a lot of my friends who are parents say.

Us here may not have experience on being parents we've all been children.
    I was smacked as a child, as were all my friends. We've all turned out fine...
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you messed up at work you don't expect your boss to smack you. So why do it to someone just because they can't hit back?:confused:
    We'd expect you to have matured into a decent human being by then. Adult's communications skills are more enhanced than children's so communication may be deemed most suitable.

Children tend to communicate physically rather than verbally to convey a point. I can't sit and have a conversation with a 4 year old. They tend to have very short attention spans. Children's programmes are less verbal and more physical and look how much they concentrate when watching Children's TV. The most suitable way of communicating is physical. I'm not saying spanking is the way forward but parents need to be physical in some way.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't see anything wrong with "spanking". I see it as just another method of instilling discipline. It works for some children, it doesn't for some. Plain and simple.

I also think may we need to define what we call "spanking", many on here seem to be confusing it with malicious intent.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROYP)
    They shouldn't be trained like animals. Teach/tell them why things are wrong. People should want to do the right thing out of morality, not because they'll get a smack otherwise.
    There is no link between spanking a child for the sake of discipline and encouraging future behaviour and training an animal for whatever reason.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gales)
    I was smacked as a child, as were all my friends. We've all turned out fine...
    I never said you didn't but it doesn't take away from the fact I still think it's lazy parenting.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, preventing spanking is just like PC gone wild.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I never say you didn't but it doesn't take away from the fact I still think it's lazy parenting.
    Uhmm, yeah ok. :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 331sam331)
    I don't see what the problem is. When I was little, and did something that was obviously wrong, and then chatted back to my mum or dad I was duly punished.

(basically I plastered the ceiling of a school toilet in wet toilet roll when I was like 7.)

Wetting toilet roll and throwing it up to hit the ceiling... Happy happy primary school days
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    We'd expect you to have matured into a decent human being by then. Adult's communications skills are more enhanced than children's so communication may be deemed most suitable.

Children tend to communicate physically rather than verbally to convey a point. I can't sit and have a conversation with a 4 year old. They tend to have very short attention spans. Children's programmes are less verbal and more physical and look how much they concentrate when watching Children's TV. The most suitable way of communicating is physical. I'm not saying spanking is the way forward but parents need to be physical in some way.
    If a child needs restraining then yes of course you need to get physical for the safety of themselves and others around them but that's different to smacking them when there is no immediate danger. There are lots of people in society who can not communicate verbally due to various disabilities would that make it ok to hit them?

On a side 4 year olds are able to hold a conversation it won't be very intellectual but it's a conversation nevertheless.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura loo)
    I don't think it's ever acceprable to hit a child. I've always worked in schools and nurseries with young children, and believe me there are many more effective ways to discipline.

I don't understand parents who tell their children it's wrong to hit, shout and swear, when they do all these themselves. Hypocrites
    You think it's wrong to shout at children?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yothi5)
    There is no link between spanking a child for the sake of discipline and encouraging future behaviour and training an animal for whatever reason.
    It's exactly the same. You might hit your dog on the nose for trying to bite you or something, in the hope you will discourage it happening again. In both cases you're using negative reinforcement to alter future behaviour.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zelex)
    I also think may we need to define what we call "spanking", many on here seem to be confusing it with malicious intent.
    I'm assuming the OP was referring to spanking or smacking a child to punish it for wrong-doing. I'm sure everyone here will agree that child abuse consisting of persistent beatings is another thing entirely.

I still believe that hitting a child for any reason is wrong, even a spank to punish a child, like many others have said it is just lazy parenting.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was spanked.

And I'm a perfectly normal teen...DAMN YOU FATHER...ager.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think people who believe that hitting children will make them grow up a violent child are just assuming the worst. Many people I know, myself included, were hit as children but still grew up calm and passive because that's just my personality. Occasional spanking is not the same as abuse, it's used to associate pain with wrong actions when children are too young to understand why did wrong through words. My parents only hit me for a few years and they'd talk to me instead after I was older.

I don't believe it's any lazier a method than not explaining what they did wrong and taking away their toys or sending them to their room. I think people tend to overestimate a child's ability to understand why something they did is wrong (especially if they get joy out of it e.g. defacing furniture or stealing sweets) when they say that talking to them is enough. I don't think any parent would want to hit their child, it's most probably a last resort when all else fails.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me that thinks spanking is a bit weird...particularly as it's used a lot in a sexual context...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the reasons that people give for NOT smacking children. That said, I'm not a parent and I have no experience with screaming, unruly children - your moral standing on this must fly out of the window when you just cannot control them.
    I don't think it should be outlawed, but I think if parents can avoid it, they should.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipsi)
    I'm assuming the OP was referring to spanking or smacking a child to punish it for wrong-doing. I'm sure everyone here will agree that child abuse consisting of persistent beatings is another thing entirely.

I still believe that hitting a child for any reason is wrong, even a spank to punish a child, like many others have said it is just lazy parenting.
    Fair enough, although I disagree, I was spanked as a child and I ended up perfectly fine, and TBH I have never felt resentful to my parents for it, when looking back. I don't at all feel it is lazy parenting, it may seem that way in certain scenario's portrayed, however it is much more a complex situation. As I mentioned previously spanking works for some and doesn't for others. I just see as another method for instilling discipline. I have no problems with those who choose the to or not.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Josef Fritzl voted yes.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 26, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.