The Student Room Group

Spanking children as a punishment (poll included)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by ROYP
It's exactly the same. You might hit your dog on the nose for trying to bite you or something, in the hope you will discourage it happening again. In both cases you're using negative reinforcement to alter future behaviour.

Well what is wrong with that? A small child and a dog does not know the difference between wrong or right even if you speak nicely and slowly about it.

You do know that spanking a child does not mean you beat the crap out of it to the extent it needs A&E attention. There nothing wrong with a light smack and saying "do not do that again".
Spanking just made me more aggressive :colone:

The better punishment is the silent treatment: lack of responsiveness to your child's charges. But I fear that would have worse repercussions on maternal development and their future :teehee:
Reply 82
A lot of people on this thread having no idea what they're talking about, saying things like "Spanking children only teaches them violence is acceptable etc". Stop talking out your arse.

Me and my siblings got a light slap and they have never been in a fight. I have been in 2 my entire life and they were out of self defence.

Another family member of mine was never spanked as a child and served in prison for continuously fighting.

Children will realise the actions were wrong when it is associated with pain, it's called conditioning. You really thing a childrens life will be ruined by slight pain that lasts around 30 seconds?

Of course, child abuse is a completely different issue.
Reply 83
Original post by yothi5
Well what is wrong with that? A small child and a dog does not know the difference between wrong or right even if you speak nicely and slowly about it.

You do know that spanking a child does not mean you beat the crap out of it to the extent it needs A&E attention. There nothing wrong with a light smack and saying "do not do that again".

I don't want to go in circles but one of my earlier posts in the thread was that someone should want to do the right thing out of morality rather than fear of getting a smack.

I'm no expert on the mental capabilities of children but I would imagine most would understand basic rights and wrongs if explained by school age.

And yeh I know what's meant. I was on the end of a few as a child and it did nothing as a deterrent. As someone else said it seems to be more about a parent releasing anger than teaching the kid right and wrong.
Reply 84
Original post by Beebumble
There are disabled 'adults' though who will forever being in the mind of a child. Would it be ok to smack them because they don't have the communication skills of an adult and haven't had the chance to turn into 'decent human being's'.

Well if the parent feels it's best, yes? This scenario is very much a 'define an adult?', 'treat an adult with dignity' debate which will just turn into a fiasco.

Beebumble, I don't have a child with all forms of disability nor did I say spanking was the best way to punish a child so asking me these questions are pointless.
You cannot reason with little ****s.
I think it's far easier to give them material possessions, and then take them away when they're being naughty. Of course, you need money for the first bit. Also, a naughty step is good enough, and you can have that with or without money
Original post by cl_steele
i personally think spanking is acceptable, if the child does somethig wrong then spank them ... they will thus assoicate said action with pain and hopefully not do it again.
of course dont batter the little bugger but the occassional hit i think is more effective than a bit of finger wagging or making them stand in a corner.

Your child is not a dog. And even still, hitting dogs does not work either.
Reply 88
Original post by ROYP
Would like someone who voted 'yes' to state their case...

Not all children will listen to verbal warnings especially if they are spoilt brats. What else can you do? Mollycoddle them with empty threats and watch them grow up to be warped scourges upon our society? No thanks.

With the power vested upon my right hand, I will slap the disobedient brat until he/she learns some manners.
i think hitting their bum (not too hard) is not good. but if someone did do that i wouldn't be too angered.
but hitting the child anywhere with anything is really wrong

i once saw a little kid in tesco screaming his head off, so his mum walked up to him, and he stopped crying and put his hands ontop of his face and head as if he knew that she would hit him, and that made me so angry and sad. ergh. hate parents who don't know any other way but to hit a little kid.
Original post by Elissabeth
Well, what punishment would you advocate?

I'm not sure. Maybe i'm being naive but i'd try my very best to raise my children in such a way that punishment wouldn't be necessary. Guess I'd just tell them off. You don't need to really punish your kids for them to not do bad things. I know a bunch of parents who have raised their kids to be perfect without ever needing to punish them. I guess I'd just try and follow what they do.
Original post by Jordan_1
A lot of people on this thread having no idea what they're talking about, saying things like "Spanking children only teaches them violence is acceptable etc". Stop talking out your arse.

Me and my siblings got a light slap and they have never been in a fight. I have been in 2 my entire life and they were out of self defence.

Another family member of mine was never spanked as a child and served in prison for continuously fighting.

Children will realise the actions were wrong when it is associated with pain, it's called conditioning. You really thing a childrens life will be ruined by slight pain that lasts around 30 seconds?

Of course, child abuse is a completely different issue.

I was hit as a kid, but I wouldn't hit my own (theoretical) children. With younger relatives, it's so easy just to switch the TV off, take their toys away etc... as opposed to hitting. That and telling them why it was wrong
Everyone who is for spanking children, what are your opinions on school corporal punishment?

Is there a difference in ethics because only a parent is allowed to discipline their child in such a way? But surely, for those who agree with the fact that conditioning eliciting a fear of consequence is a positive thing, should see conditioning's benefit on learning? Or are you in favour of the practical alternatives to corporal punishment, e.g. detention, referral, etc. But why can't this be applied to the home, e.g. time outs, removing of material possessions, etc.
Reply 93
Original post by HarveyCanis
Your child is not a dog. And even still, hitting dogs does not work either.

i never said anything about dogs?
Original post by 331sam331
I don't see what the problem is. When I was little, and did something that was obviously wrong, and then chatted back to my mum or dad I was duly punished.

When we got home she was furious obviously, she tried to explain how what I had done was wrong but I just thought it was hilarious. So she spanked me traditionally on the bum. That shut me up and made me realize the seriousness of what I had done. I then thought about how it was wrong, and that caused me to realize that she was right and taught me a valuable lesson.

Sometimes, kids, like animals can't be reasoned with. When that point comes, a light spank on the bum gets through to them.

Obviously, yanking of arms and really hitting hard is a completely different thing. I am talking about assisting your words with a light slap to make a point.

Then, after that the child or animal remembers that if they do something that is obviously out of order, they will get told off and spanked. Therefore they don't do it again.

I have to agree. It was very rare that I got spanked, as the raising of my parents' voices was usually enough, but I do think that if I child doesn't listen and continues being disrespectful, parents should have the right to spank their children.
Obviously, parents should not beat them to an inch of their life. I do think parents should try and explain why the child's actions were wrong, but if they continue being naughty, then they have to take the consequences.
The odd spank didn't do me any harm. I learned my lesson and never got in trouble afterwards.
YES!

I hate the damn suger-coating liberals of nowadays. This whole 'non-physical' parenting doesn't work (for most kids anyway)!
If you are going to spank your kids make sure that they understand what they did was wrong, make sure they do not FEAR you....because when you aren't there...
Reply 97
I think it depends.
I do not think that spanking should need to be used 99.9% of the time, and never should be used in anger, but in some instances I think it makes sense.

For instance, if a young child tries to walk in to the road. Giving them a spank there and then will teach them to absolutely never do that again. I don't see why it should be used for general discipline, though.
Reply 98
I was never smacked by my parents as they did not believe that was the right way of disciplining a child.

Now I have 2 kids, a 4 year old and a 7 month old. The mother of the 4 year old used to smack her, now she no longer lives with us so no one smacks her.... for the most part she behaves because I make sure she knows that if she misbehaves she is going to get her corner or she would be staying home on Saturday instead of being brought out. If all else fails I just tell her "I'm going to tell your mam" or I tell her I'm going to send her to "Herr ********'s house" who is one scary old geezer that lives down the road. Thankfully that usually does the trick.

I don't think there should be any regulations that prohibit spanking though, some kids do need them as that's the only way to discipline them and end of the day I don't believe it is the government's job to tell parents how to raise their brats. But there is a fine line between discipline and child abuse... a smack on the bum isn't child abuse unless done repeatedly.
Original post by ROYP
They shouldn't be trained like animals. Teach/tell them why things are wrong. People should want to do the right thing out of morality, not because they'll get a smack otherwise.

Nietzsche would've loved you. Not. :p: I'm anti-spanking but it's hard to see how "not eating lipstick" falls under some system of morality. My mum tells me I did that when I was three and got smacked for it, apparently the next night I smeared lipstick all over my teddies, so guess smacking does't always work xD

Quick Reply

Latest