The Student Room Group

Spanking children as a punishment (poll included)

Scroll to see replies

I wish there was more voilence in society as a deterant.

I want prisoners scared the guards will beat them like in other countries. Would be much better.
Reply 141
My Mum always said, "This is what you did [X], and this is your punishment." Smack! (on the back of the hands or bum)

I definitely got the message.
Original post by Tootles
Definitely. Parents don't use any kinds of actual punishments these days, and as a result the kids know they're going to get away with whatever they want, the worst thing they have to face is a week without their computer, but then again most parents give in after a day or two. When I was little, I was given a smack when I deserved it (on the leg though, not the backside), even in public - it was more about the humiliation than the pain. But it worked, I learned right from wrong.

No, you used base instincs to stop getting hurt. You also happened to learn right from wrong along the way completely unrelated to this.
Reply 143
Original post by Bonged.
"I can't explain why what you're doing is wrong so I'm just going to hit you"

sums up spanking.

Since when did a parent have to justify to a child their actions? :confused:
Yeah, I was spanked and I turned out fine. My parents don't hint me now because I can take both of them, but when I was younger it got my attention. I did resent them a lot for it, but I got over it.

Original post by ras90
I wish there was more voilence in society as a deterant.

I want prisoners scared the guards will beat them like in other countries. Would be much better.

The stupidity...I just don't even...
Original post by green chica
Yeah, I was spanked and I turned out fine. My parents don't hint me now because I can take both of them, but when I was younger it got my attention. I did resent them a lot for it, but I got over it.

The stupidity...I just don't even...

Because there is a lot of drugs in Saudi Arabia and Singapore etc......idiot.
To those that think it's okay to hit your child. If your child got sent home from school (or whatever) for hitting another child because they did something they didn't like, what would you say?

The only children that I ever see getting spanked are the rude ones, so clearly not that much of a deterrent.
Original post by tu_es_jolie_x
To those that think it's okay to hit your child. If your child got sent home from school (or whatever) for hitting another child because they did something they didn't like, what would you say?

The only children that I ever see getting spanked are the rude ones, so clearly not that much of a deterrent.

Depends on hwat the other child did to my son. If he was picking on my child then i would tell my child to beat the **** out of the bully.
Reply 148
Wow really surprised at the results of this. Thought 'no' would be well ahead. There's no reason to spank a kid.
I don't know anyone who never got beats as a kid.
Don't go to far though. Kids usually get it after a while.
Probs best to get the anti social behaviour out at a young age, some people I see are so rude.
Original post by ras90
Because there is a lot of drugs in Saudi Arabia and Singapore etc......idiot.

That has nothing to do with what you posted or my response to your post. :s-smilie:
Children years ago: Spanking more accepted, kids learned their lesson, less youth related trouble or crime.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Children today: Spanking not acceptable (considered cruel), kids don't get punished and they get their own way = shocking high youth related trouble and crime...

Don't you people see a correlation? Of course I'm not promoting beating a child to death but I'm sure a smack on the wrist or backside would do the children good today.

At work there was the most obnoxious kid shouting, "WHERES MY FOOD?! I WANT IT NOW". Of course the mother did nothing about it because I'm sure she's one of those fools who think spanking a childs wrist or backside is considered "cruel". I'm sure that kid will turn out great in 10 years time :rolleyes:

Yes I think a smack on the wrist or spanking is perfectly acceptable, beating a child to death however no.
Original post by Morgsie
Voted NO.

Smacking and Spanking should be classed as Child Abuse.

I was a victim of Child Abuse by the way.

Child Abuse? Hardly.
Your not exactly going to do it particularly hard.
Practically everyone I know got hit, how else does a child learn to follow the rules.
Keep getting away with it and it will get worse, till they're eventually behind bars.
Original post by green chica
That has nothing to do with what you posted or my response to your post. :s-smilie:

Yes it does.

Physical pain for breaking rules.

It works.
Reply 154
It's funny - I often hear how 'bad' young people are nowaday. I don't pretend to think that it's in part to the more relaxed views on discipline. I don't think anyone is suggesting that they would beat their children, but I was spanked as a child, like so many others have said about themselves, and I know right from wrong.

You can use examples of both extremes from both sides of the argument!

I am a teaching assistant and I want to tell you what a young boy said to me last week, bare in mind that he is 8:

I was reading the instructions from a text book and one little boy decided that to listen he needed to play with his pencil. I asked him to put the pencil down because we weren't writing anything and it was a listening excerise. Of course, he carried on so I took the pen off him and said "you don't need that". His reply was a calm... "you can't shout at me." Not that I was shouting but I was intregued. He carried on with that I wasn't allowed to shout at him because his parents said that I couldn't do anything to him.

My point is that how can I discipline someone who already knows that there is a limit to my abilities? I can't spank one of my kids of course, It's not my job, but I think you need a mixture of the two to really have an affect.

You should talk to them, explain to them what they have done wrong, take something that they enjoy/want away - but if the child is still playing up, I don't think it's wrong to spank them.
Original post by Bonged.
"I can't explain why what you're doing is wrong so I'm just going to hit you"

sums up spanking.

not true my a used to explain to me why i was getting hit
Reply 156
Original post by Chronist
Cool down, my friend.
Imbecile is a swear, it does not matter what meaning did it have. What matters is its present meaning and you meant it. People with low intelligence use swearing as a last resource. That does not mean that swearing is only used by low intelligent people. But still, "high" intelligent people do not use swearing as a last recourse. Spending too much time in TSR might be affecting your views of your self. Arrogance is not a virtue. Take this as advice.

You can't be serious
Reply 157
Also, think punishment itself is relatively unimportant, especially for kids. Teaching right from wrong is far more important. I'm not very articulate right now but before the knee-jerk reply of 'yeah but you can teach kids right from wrong WITH punishment', thats not what I meant.
Reply 158
Original post by ROYP
You can't be serious

Just because you (think) you are intelligent and recourse to it does not mean that the rest of us do so as a last recourse.
Any (high) intelligent people know that swearing does not help unless you just want to feed your ego by seeing the other person offended.
And stop trolling or I will report you, then you will see if I am serious or not.
Plain and simple, when i was young and did something bad, i had a smack on the bum..... then never did it again. And guess what, I'm a well rounded, sane and totally healthy 25 year old who can proudly state "i was spanked as a child, and yes, i lived to tell the tale!" *rolls eyes*

Nothing makes me more frustrated than seeing parents now a days "right mummy's going to get mad in a minute" ... "Now for the second time, what have i just said, stop it please" ... "if you do that one more time I'm going to get cross" .... and so on, and so on until they get to "right I've told you 45 times now, mummy will get cross if you do it again" - And thats why kids behaviour now a days is so out of control.

I do not in any way, shape or form, condone beating children. I'm talking about a light spanking. Causing them embarassment rather than physical pain. As i said, a light spank never did me any harm! and nor will it have done most of the people on here any harm either!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending