The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford Brookes Firmers 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by BethanlouiseW
There are so many things aren't there!! :') The cheapest place I got the books from was Amazon :smile:

Yeah!! That's were I have got most of mine from too now :smile: Managed to get a couple from eBay too but they weren't much cheaper! Are you doing the BA course too then? :smile: x
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Original post by --Lauren
Yeah!! That's were I have got most of mine from too now :smile: Managed to get a couple from eBay too but they weren't much cheaper! Are you doing the BA course too then? :smile: x

Yes I am :smile: Thought it was a bit stupid of them to sent a discount code to get books that are so much cheaper other places :') But oh well, got them all now! I am soo excited!
Reply 142
Firmed for Law - anyone else doing Law and staying in halls? or anyone willing to pass on some useful tips or advice for staying in halls and for first year in general? verrrry nervous :confused:
Reply 143
Original post by BethanlouiseW
Yes I am :smile: Thought it was a bit stupid of them to sent a discount code to get books that are so much cheaper other places :') But oh well, got them all now! I am soo excited!

I know and on the sheet it said 'please do not buy' because of the discount we might get at uni! If the books are from the actual publisher they are going to be sooo much more expensive! Yeah all ordered for me too! haha, me too! Where abouts are you from? xxx
Reply 144
I just firmed for Interior Architecture (int. student).. can't seem to find anyone else doing this course.. :frown:
Original post by nizabelle
firmed for law - anyone else doing law and staying in halls? Or anyone willing to pass on some useful tips or advice for staying in halls and for first year in general? Verrrry nervous :confused:

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Reply 146
Original post by imasupercoolgeek
meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Yaaaaaay - have u prepared in any way? Arrrrghh I have so many questions I need answers too lol
Yaaaaaay - have u prepared in any way? Arrrrghh I have so many questions I need answers too lol

!!!! & no I haven't yet. I've been working like hectic to ensure I have enough money when I go uni :smile: are you definitely going Brooke's or you waiting for results day?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 148
Original post by chateaux1
I just firmed for Interior Architecture (int. student).. can't seem to find anyone else doing this course.. :frown:

I studied Interior Architecture before. :smile:
Reply 149
Original post by imasupercoolgeek
!!!! & no I haven't yet. I've been working like hectic to ensure I have enough money when I go uni :smile: are you definitely going Brooke's or you waiting for results day?

Well I'm waiting for results day but I reeeeaaally wanna go to Brookes - it's always been my first choice!! You? And money. Don't get me started - books cost £200+ for first year!!
Well I'm waiting for results day but I reeeeaaally wanna go to Brookes - it's always been my first choice!! You? And money. Don't get me started - books cost £200+ for first year!!

Have you checked www.abebooks.co.uk as well as Amazon? There's some overlap (folks advertising on both platforms) but you may find something only on abebooks second hand....

For what it's worth, I'd think about only buying one or two at most before you get to Brookes then find a 2nd year in your subject and see if they'll sell you their books (some or all) - it's easy to get into the groove by buying lots of stuff you don't really need before you arrive! And if you do need them, they'll still be for sale on Amazon in September....
I know and on the sheet it said 'please do not buy' because of the discount we might get at uni! If the books are from the actual publisher they are going to be sooo much more expensive! Yeah all ordered for me too! haha, me too! Where abouts are you from? xxx

Yes! Ahaa, useless, especially as we are spending so much on the tuition fees and accommodation already! They must think we're made of money or something! haha. I am from Worcester, what about you? xxx

Saaaaaaame! I have wanted to go since beginning of last year (AS)!! Exactly, which is why I'm working like 12 hours a day for 6 days :frown: if I know I got into Brookes I will work with a proper grin on my face lol!

If the books are written by the Brookes Lecturers *(Many books are )

Then Brookes students will be offered them slightly cheaper in on campus sales, thats what happens with some of the books from the business school. So probably is the same for your course dept.

Books dont cost £200 plus for 1st year (im a 4th year) Many books are suitable for multiple modules so you could be spending upto £150 or less if you share.

Many are available in the Library and if you find coursemates who live near you, theres the chance of book sharing - you buy some, they buy others and you borrow them.
Reply 155
Original post by williamrshore
Books dont cost £200 plus for 1st year (im a 4th year) Many books are suitable for multiple modules so you could be spending upto £150 or less if you share.

Many are available in the Library and if you find coursemates who live near you, theres the chance of book sharing - you buy some, they buy others and you borrow them.

Can I ask you when new students will receive their reading list? I'm an international student so I'm quite confused about this. :biggrin:
Original post by Meodien
Can I ask you when new students will receive their reading list? I'm an international student so I'm quite confused about this. :biggrin:

You will get individual reading lists per module.

In Week 1 when you go to your first lectures the lecturers will tell you which books to buy
Original post by Meodien

Check out one of your course tutors and email them direct. They don't bite, and right now they've done all their exam marking, etc. and things are fairly quiet. They'll point you in the right direction.... also, if you want to get a heads up, ask them how you get a link to a resource for past paper exam questions in your subject. These will link back to the essays you'll be writing and get you a massive head start. This is the stuff that will decide your honours grade, not buying first year books. I'm starting my 4th degree program this year, and seriously, you don't need to buy any books. You write an essay, you need 6 textbooks sources, 4 journal sources and a couple of primary/current sources. Multiply that by term, by academic year and by a 3 year degree course and you can see you won't be buying your books but getting really good at using Oxford':cool:s (including the Bod) libraries. Enjoy and good luck.
Original post by Crusty the Clown
I'm starting my 4th degree program this year, and seriously, you don't need to buy any books. You write an essay, you need 6 textbooks sources, 4 journal sources and a couple of primary/current sources. Multiply that by term, by academic year and by a 3 year degree course and you can see you won't be buying your books but getting really good at using Oxford':cool:s (including the Bod) libraries. Enjoy and good luck.

Dont wanna be funny or anything but its highly unlikely that unless they get the special passes (can be ordered) that Oxford Brookes students will be going into any of Oxford Uni's libraries. Im a 4th year and use the Brookes Libraries and Oxford County Council's one.
Reply 159
Hey everyone :smile: do any of you have a confirmed place in Dorset house Accommodation ? If you do then don't be shy to email me as i will be staying there next year :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending