Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ways your parents treat you that you promise you wont do to your kids?

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Somethings thats been on my mind for some time

For example, i would give my children a bit more freedom than my parents give me right now

When i want to go out, my parents are like where are you going? who are you going with? what will you be doing? what time will you be back? :rolleyes:

and after i get there theyll call me at random times to check whether im drunk or to find put what im doing

I think i'll try to teach my children to think for themselves and use their best judgement instead of being so 'protective'

So in what ways would the way that you bring up your kids be different from the way that your parents raise you?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to agree with you about giving them freedom. I can understand why my parents were so protective (and being an only child doesn't help), but I wish I'd learnt to be more independent at a younger age.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Listen to them when they have an opinion instead of just shooting it down! Because maybe it makes more sense than what I believe.

Also so that they can feel they can talk to me about anything
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    not send them to a military school -_-
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I’d hopefully not give the
    “when I was a child…” or the “young ladies have to act in a certain way…” lectures
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't try and make them learn from your mistakes ... it's just annoying and usually difficult to believe, until/unless the mistake has been made.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyliesel)
    I'd have to agree with you about giving them freedom. I can understand why my parents were so protective (and being an only child doesn't help), but I wish I'd learnt to be more independent at a younger age.
    Pretty much this.

Sometimes parents don't understand than by restricting their kids' freedom are not protecting them, but making them be useless and unexperienced in many ways!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm really happy with the way I was brought up, so in most ways I want to raise my kids just like my parents raised me.

The only thing I'd do differently, is that I'd teach my children to be assertive and stand up for themselves. When I was little and people bullied me, my Mum either tried to get me to empathise with the bullies if they were kids with difficulties at home, or she got really angry and called the bullies' parents. As you can guess, the latter course of action usually led to more bullying And while I do think it's important to teach children to empathise, they shouldn't do so to an extent where they basically let people walk all over them. I know she meant well though, bless her
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Trust them to go out late sometimes.
    Teach them a sport from a young age.
    Don't let him walk around wearing football boots like it's cool. ¬.¬
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'd let my children be themselves instead of molding them into something I want them to be.

I'll let them come up with their own conclusions as to what they want to do with their life.

Same goes to faith, I would never teach my kids that there is a God or that there is no God... I'm pretty sure they can figure it out for themselves whichever they see fit.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I would never be telling them how much I want to kill myself when they are very young, would not constantly criticise them or constantly remind them how I am paying for their food and clothes (you chose to have the kid,) nor throw tantrums in front of them, and leave any issues I might have between their other parent completely out of it. Oh, and I sure as hell wouldn't go diagnosing them with a bunch of disorders/illnesses based on basically nothing.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackal The)
    I would never be telling them how much I want to kill myself when they are very young, would not constantly criticise them or constantly remind them how I am paying for their food and clothes, nor throw tantrums in front of them, and leave any issues I might have between their other parent completely out of it.
    Uh, it seems like you had a tough childhood. Feel sorry to read that
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd try not to exclude them from conversations when they come of age.

I also would allow them more privacy. Especially maybe go out for dinner and leave the house when he/she wants to have friends over.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    you go to military school?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)

Francis?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not live in the middle of no-where. I swear, that was the worst decision my parents ever made.

They need to know about the countryside, but they do not need to live there...
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mia =))
    you go to military school?
    Many of us did..

:smug:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahotaru)
    Uh, it seems like you had a tough childhood. Feel sorry to read that
    Sorry, I actually didn't really, my parents divorced when I was very young and it was mainly just a lot of issues with my dad, who I no longer speak to.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i will have an honest open relationship with my kids and will not be overprotective (i know that society is no longer the same as it was when your parents were our age but still you need to loosen up a bit otherwise they will not grow up).

I will also give them some of their own space and not intrude in their private lives too much.

I will not hit them but sit them down and explain to them why I think what they have done is wrong.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spontogical)
    Many of us did..

:smug:
    kay spon

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 22, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.