The Student Room Group

Are these good grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by imy7
Oh my gosh I'd hate to ask people if my grades are good on tsr, the majority of people on here are so pretentious about it e.g. you only have good grades if you got 6 or more A*s at gcse and 5 A*s at A level kinda thing. Your grades are really good you should be proud of them.

if you want to know if you'll get into a uni, go onto their website and find out what they want from the course you'll be applying to...

This !! :biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by GrantG
Will i get into uea??

Those would definately get you into UEA, Sussex and Exeter because to be honest GCSEs are not that important. Making sure you attain the best A level results should be your priority.

On a side note, i'm going to Sussex (not for english, though It's an ace course at US) and my GCSE results were very similar to yours :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by m3scrumpy
You want to study English and don`t know when to use "their" and they`re ?????

Quick error. Also you shouldn't use spaces between apostrophes :wink:
OP, lose the ego, you know they're good grades. Ok they might not be perfect (and many people on TSR got 10+ As), but the government target for people is 5Cs . . . Plus you're getting A/A* in some of the most relevant subjects for your alvls. You should be fine doing those alvls BUT if you're getting those grades with barely any revision you may get caught out by AS exams. You have soo much content that is soo much harder than GCSE and only a few months before your first exam. especially in some subjects such as politics, you potentially do your first exam in it, when you've only been learning about it for 3 months, but the standard you have to get to in those 3 months is nearly as high as other subjects that people could have done at gcse, so they've got an extra 2+ years of background knowledge of it. At least everyones in the same boat with those, unless it is a subject available at GCSE but just one that not many schools offer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Clare~Bear
OP, lose the ego, you know they're good grades. Ok they might not be perfect, but the government target for people is 5Cs . . . Plus you're getting A/A* in the msot relevant subjects for your alvls.

exactly
Original post by GrantG
Will i get into uea??

There's no way of telling until you get to grips with your A-level subjects.
Reply 26
Word of advice, **** the majority on this forum, they have never got less than an A in their entire life. I say yes they are, I came out without any A*s, about 4 As and 5 Bs and I reckon that they are good grades.
Reply 27
Original post by GrantG
GCSE English Language - A
GCSE English Literature - A*
GCSE Food Technology - A*
GCSE French - B
GCSE History - C
GCSE Mathematics - Foundation Tier - C
GCSE Mathematics - Higher Tier - B
GCSE Science - A

A*, A*, A, A, B, B, C, C

I am taking archaeology, English Language, English Literature and politics at A level.

Are these good grades?

Pretty decent grades, must be some good schools in "Your Mum". Think i saw Your Mum Secondary School doing pretty well on the leader boards last year.
Reply 28
They're fine definitely for uea and Sussex although sussex is becoming increasingly competitive. I don't necessarily know about exeter as that's quite competitive. Just a word of warning... At my college we are strongly advised not to do English lit and english lang at a level because the courses are too similar and unis aren't interested in someone with two a levels in English. I'd strongly advise you drop English lang after the first year
Original post by LJ1994
They're fine definitely for uea and Sussex although sussex is becoming increasingly competitive. I don't necessarily know about exeter as that's quite competitive. Just a word of warning... At my college we are strongly advised not to do English lit and english lang at a level because the courses are too similar and unis aren't interested in someone with two a levels in English. I'd strongly advise you drop English lang after the first year

As if ,Maths and Further Maths aren't similar,yet loads of people take it and Both A-Levels,in the most important subject English, will show you can structure writing well and analyse well,which are needed for all university courses.
Reply 30
Original post by Dalek1099
As if ,Maths and Further Maths aren't similar,yet loads of people take it and Both A-Levels,in the most important subject English, will show you can structure writing well and analyse well,which are needed for all university courses.

History does that too.
theyre mild.
the grades haven't even been achieved yet,according to another thread and are just predictions.According to my predictions,I'll get 13A* and 3A at GCSE-yet trying hard to get a B in Core Science,so until they have been achieved,i can't tell.
the grades haven't even been achieved yet,according to another thread and are just predictions.According to my predictions,I'll get 13A* and 3A at GCSE-yet trying hard to get a B in Core Science,so until they have been achieved,i can't tell.

13 A*s and 3As. You're having a laugh mate. Just this January you got 1 A 2Bs and 2Cs!

And you told me you have 7 GCSEs and are doing an ICT BTEC which is worth 2 GCSEs, so that is 9. Don't fob people off and make up things!:angry: You really are sad.
Original post by GreenLantern1
13 A*s and 3As. You're having a laugh mate. Just this January you got 1 A 2Bs and 2Cs!

And you told me you have 7 GCSEs and are doing an ICT BTEC which is worth 2 GCSEs, so that is 9. Don't fob people off and make up things!:angry: You really are sad.

I am doing 10 GCSEs and 6 GCSEs worth of BTEC=16 GCSEs.This January i got 2A*s(Geography,Literature CA),1 A(Language Exam),2Bs(Physics and Chemistry) and 1C(Literature Exam,got A first time so technically an A)=2A*s,2As and 2Bs.My predictions are ridiculously high 13A*s and 3As,which i have presented to show OP,that he won't necessarily get his predictions.
(edited 12 years ago)
yeah they're pretty decent grades...however what do you see yourself studying at uni and where?

if you wanna study something competitive like english at a russel group university, make sure
you work extra hard for AS...improvement is good.

good luck! :smile:
Reply 36

I can't be bothered to go through uni websites, but this is copied off my college website...

"English Literature is a highly valued subject and combines well with a wide range of other subjects. We feel it is unwise to combine it with English Language unless you are taking four full A levels, as it can be seen as limiting your range of academic experience."

If you can write a decent English essay, you'll do it in English lit, so why would you want to prove that twice? Surely it's more beneficial to prove that you can write a decent English essay, alongside History, or some other subject. Unis are more interested in a well rounded student. Maths and sciences are different, because unis look for a subject focus there. Whereas for humanities unis prefer a range of academic credibility.
Reply 37
Original post by GrantG
Will i get into uea??

theres no reaon why you shouldn't, just focus on your alevels now and write a good personal statement and you should get in :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by GrantG
Quick error. Also you shouldn't use spaces between apostrophes :wink:

If you are suggesting there are spaces between my apostrophes then you are once again incorrect.
Reply 39
They're good - don't let anybody tell you different! An average student is probably C's in everything, your results are above that. In addition, you've got 4 A's-A*s which is really good. Ignore them people who say your results aren't good because they're not Oxbridge standard. They're good!

Quick Reply

Latest