The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Is Royal Holloway & Egham really as bad as people make out??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lizzymc134
I've just started at RHUL this year, so hopefully can help a little.
Honestly, Egham itself is a little quiet. The students outnumber the permanent residents.

That's completely wrong.

I'm 18 and have lived in Egham my whole life, and am telling you there is no way students outnumber residents; you obviously haven't actually explored the area which you live/study in.

For the OP, Egham is well known for the number of pubs/bars/restaurants, and while there isn't a clubbing scene, there is a strong young twenties social scene.

Also, it's ridiculously easy to get out and about. Staines, Windsor, Uxbridge, Kingston, Reading all just some of a few places very close. And as for the station, I live right next to the campus and can walk to the station in just over 5 minutes; no hassle at all.

Don't get the First (Purple) Busses;they're overpriced. Get the 441 to Staines, or go with the trains.

There is plenty to do/find/go in the surrounding area; go and find it don't listen to the negative ones who assume it's rubbish because it's not outside their bedroom window.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Egham is ****ing tedious and the university has nothing to do on campus. Feels more like a school than a university.

Anyone who says otherwise is either lying to you or hasn't spent time on a real campus.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
I want to go here because I'll find people who aren't so interested in drinking and smoking and clubbing. Because I don't do any of that. Yeah I may sound boring but that's me!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by ZUBZ_786
I want to go here because I'll find people who aren't so interested in drinking and smoking and clubbing. Because I don't do any of that. Yeah I may sound boring but that's me!!

Plenty of people like that here, like me!

I'm really ancient and studied for an MSc at Royal Holloway in 2007. I really enjoyed it. I did feel that it was a beautiful campus and that it wouldn't suit many for undergraduate study. (My 3 eldest 'kids' have since graduated from other universities). However, I do think it's ideal for someone who wants a quiet time of it, making the most of the academic opportunities, the environment and its proximity to London if they want to go there for what that city can offer. In fact, my younger son, who this week graduates from a large city university, has a place at RHUL for an MSc in 2013 if he wants to do one after working in Australia for a while. It is perfect for serious postgraduate work, having got the undergraduate 'stuff' done. :smile:
Original post by swarfliam
Haha, once you learn the route you can walk from the back gate of the Uni to the train station in 10 minutes :colone:

40 mins to london paddington if you get the slow stopping train - the fast train 20mins. its true and can be done (i live fairly close) on a good day when theres no delays and depending on where in london you want to get to. you can get to the 02 in an hour and a bit which isnt bad at all :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by winningjojo
40 mins to london paddington if you get the slow stopping train - the fast train 20mins. its true and can be done (i live fairly close) on a good day when theres no delays and depending on where in london you want to get to. you can get to the 02 in an hour and a bit which isnt bad at all :smile:

That's from Slough, Egham isn't on that branch unfortunatley to get onto it you have to go through Windsor. Pain in the arse for me trying to get home. From Egham the 'fast' train takes 35 to London Waterloo. I suppose if you count Clapham Junction then it is 30 to London.
Reply 27

Me too! I've been seeing so many negative comments about Royal Holloway on here, but it all seems to revolve around how quiet/boring/isolated it is. Quiet would not bother me a bit :smile:
Went on Wednesday to an open day there and loved the place too :smile:

Reply 29
Original post by oKatie
Me too! I've been seeing so many negative comments about Royal Holloway on here, but it all seems to revolve around how quiet/boring/isolated it is. Quiet would not bother me a bit :smile:

It lacks shopping and clubs - nothing too important.
Reply 30
Original post by gm15
It lacks shopping and clubs - nothing too important.

And even then, you don't have to go too far away to find those kinds of things - shopping especially.
I really don't understand why RHUL has a reputation for being dull or having a bad 'night-life"'. Look, if you're defining the latter as going to clubs then RHUL is average. I mean its not London, however there are loads of nice pubs around and closeby. More importantly, because we're not in the heart of London, most people have proper student houses, not small dingy 'apartments', which makes for ****ing awesome house parties. Who needs the best bloody clubs to have fun, we're students, its not like we have the money to even go to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending