Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who is your favourite British monarch?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Favourite British monarch?
    William the Conqueror
    3.73%
    Richard the Lionheart
    6.72%
    King John (what a disaster)
    4.48%
    Henry V
    4.48%
    Richard III
    2.24%
    Henry VIII
    14.18%
    Mary I
    0.75%
    Elizabeth I
    26.12%
    Charles I
    4.48%
    Charles II
    4.48%
    William of Orange
    7.46%
    George III
    0.75%
    Victoria
    16.42%
    George V
    3.73%

• 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The current one.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmenkus)
    No Henry VI option? How disappointing.
    You mean the one who went mad, lost the majority of France, and let his wife cause a civil war?

My favourite has to be Cnut. As well as England he was king of Denmark and Norway, and was paid tribute by Scotland, Wales, and parts of Sweden and Ireland. Despite being a Christian, he promoted religious tolerance in the pagan Danelaw and tried to be a just king in all ways. He was powerful enough to be able to deal with the Pope and Holy Roman Emperor on equal terms, and so arguably helped put England on the global stage.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Edward I should be up there?
    His reign started with the end of a viscous civil war and ended with the country being more stable than ever before. Increased English territory in Wales and Scotland. Established parliament.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I feel that Henry VIII is important with the whole reformation of the church. People could get divorced because of his changes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Went for George V because he looks identical to Tsar Nicholas II and I like to think they're the same person.

Also, he binned those silly German titles his family had collected.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why is Mary I on that list? I don't really see why she should be.

I'd say Henry V because of his talent at bashing the French. Something we should all be envious of.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Why is Mary I on that list? I don't really see why she should be.
    Yea.

We want Queen Jane!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    What the ****? Richard should be top. He lead a huge force hundreds of miles and kicked Muslim ass.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a soft spot for Lady Jane Grey... Does she count? But based on this poll, Elizabeth the First'll have to do.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    King John represent!

Ok, so maybe not the best monarch ever, but feel the need to compensate for all the "disaster" views out there. (Plus, there were long term causes of problems, he was an 'administrative innovator' etc). Revisionism for the win!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Richard Lionheart, he can barely be described as a great English monarch, he didnt speak English and spent the vast majority of his time in France!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    WHERE is King GEORGE VI?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    henry VIII was an epic black knight, complete dappa tbh
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Where's our Queenie?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Elizabeth I, what a woman! Ironically despised as not being the true King Henry wanted, yet turned out to be one of the greatest monarchs this country ever saw. Held firm to her beliefs, navigated the political arena well, and let no man be her master, which given her times, was an incredible thing. Plus I love Anne Boleyn, so...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    They generally tend to be more boring and far less known than their English counterparts.

I thought about James I, but then included Charles I instead, as their reigns were both absolutist and Stuart.
    Really? That seems to be something of a gross generalisation. I think Bruce's name has had greater historical staying-power to that of his English counterpart. What English King has been immortalised in the written word like Macbeth?

Lesser-known is perhaps accurate (even in Scotland, one has to say), but the lack of wider knowledge about the Kings of Scotland in no way detracts from their fascinating reigns and characters!

As an aside, what about the Jacobite pretenders? Henry IX and I springs to mind!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    got to be queen victoria, i mean cmon she was empress of india, not many british monarchs can say that!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanzetti)
    What English King has been immortalised in the written word like Macbeth?
    Richard III... if for the wrong reasons.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanzetti)
    Really? That seems to be something of a gross generalisation. I think Bruce's name has had greater historical staying-power to that of his English counterpart. What English King has been immortalised in the written word like Macbeth?

Lesser-known is perhaps accurate (even in Scotland, one has to say), but the lack of wider knowledge about the Kings of Scotland in no way detracts from their fascinating reigns and characters!

As an aside, what about the Jacobite pretenders? Henry IX and I springs to mind!
    Good points (though I would argue Henry V has also been immortalised in the Shakesperean play, Henry V).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which is the virgin one? i vote her

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 25, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.