The Student Room Group

What did you get in your degree subject at GCSE?

Whether you already have a degree, have applied or are going to apply next year.

If you have done GCSEs and know what subject you want to/have study at university, what did you get in that subject? Providing you were able to do it at GCSE and it is not a subject you took up at A level :smile:

Just wondering...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Boom.
Reply 2
My degree isnt a GCSE or A level subject/ nothing related to it... So cant help you there :wink:
I got an A* In GCSE Film Studies and I am going to to be doing Film Production at university.

Why the neg for answering the question?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I got A*s in languages.
I will be starting an Actuarial Science degree in september, so obviously I didn't study that at GCSE :tongue:

It is heavily maths based, in which I got an A, and I also got an A in statistics GCSE. It also involves economics, which I didn't take.

I am currently taking both economics and maths, neither of which I completed a full AS in last year (just the way my school works) - but I'm on to acheive an A*/A in them.

I hope that answers what you wanted to know - anything else PM me or reply :smile:
Reply 6
I'll (hopefully) be doing French and Spanish at uni, and I got an A in them both at GCSE. :smile:
Well when I was doing A levels I did sciences, and first university course was to train to be a Vet. Now im going back to university to do Primary school teaching.
Reply 8
I didn't do History at GCSE because it was all boring modern history, same reason for not taking it at A-Level. I think the exam boards just have a massive boner for Hitler; they should change the names of GCSE and A-Level History to "Hitler Studies".
Original post by DJMayes
I'm not entirely sure if those restrictions are entirely sensible - if you can take the subject at GCSE and you want to do it at degree level then there's a very high probability that you take it at A Level.

Disregarding the "Not taking it at A Level restriction", I plan on applying to study Maths next year, and got an A* in the subject at GCSE.

OP meant that if it wasn't available / taken at GCSE then it was picked up at A-level.
In other words, if your degree subject was taken at GCSE, then you can respond.
Reply 10
I currently study physics, and got an A* at GCSE. Surely it would make mroe sense to ask about A-Level though, that must be a better indicator.
I'm doing Maths, which I got an A* in at GCSE.

By all means though, if someone would have got a lower pass grade at GCSE but had real passion for their chosen degree subject, then there's no problem in them taking it at university. Most of us didn't really see GCSE's as important at the time and may not have tried that hard :')
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
I've applied for French and ab initio Italian and I got an A in French at GCSE :smile:
I didn't do my degree subject at GCSE or A level because my school didn't offer it.
Ive applied to do history and politics and didnt even do history at GCSE. I used to think it was just remembering things from the past and not really relevent. I took it for AS as people told me it was good to have if you wanted to do law. But then i really enjoyed it and decided to do it full time.
Reply 15
Going onto do Spanish and Russian. Did Spanish at GCSE and got full marks (A*) :awesome:
Reply 16
I got an A in Maths GCSE which I did a year in advance, currently studying MSci Mathematics, second year.
Original post by Einheri
I didn't do History at GCSE because it was all boring modern history, same reason for not taking it at A-Level. I think the exam boards just have a massive boner for Hitler; they should change the names of GCSE and A-Level History to "Hitler Studies".

How are you able to study history at degree if you didnt do it for A level? every prospectus ive read says its essential. I agree with you though gcse history was all about hitler and had a really naive vague approach about it. like he deceived a whole country in believing in him because he offered them jobs lol
Reply 18
Hoping to study Geography in september. I got a B at GCSE.
Reply 19
I'm doing maths at university, I was a big time slacker and video game addict at GCSE and only just scraped a B. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest