Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How come so many people have Macs at Uni?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Currently, in year 11, hardly anyone has a mac, at a push people may have iPods or iPads. However, on the Laptop for uni thread so many people have macbooks. What causes so many people to convert at Uni?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's all part of being a super cool student. So poor with my Mac. And my Starbucks...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They be hipsters.
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:
    I bought mine with a couple of months earnings during my gap year, but a few of the Mac users I've met at uni have bought them with their ridiculously huge maintenance loans. I expect this is a case for a lot of people who get all giddy when the government hands them upwards of a grand each term (after fees).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think theres a pretty big student discount on a lot of the apple stuff... not sure though
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hearty_Beast)
    I think theres a pretty big student discount on a lot of the apple stuff... not sure though
    It's roughly 14%, so pretty substantial considering the prices Macs start at.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    allll the asian kids on their macs in the design studios heheh
    I have a pic as proof
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people I know who have them, got given them as a congratulations present for getting into uni, or saved up on a Gap Year to get them.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    Currently, in year 11, hardly anyone has a mac, at a push people may have iPods or iPads. However, on the Laptop for uni thread so many people have macbooks. What causes so many people to convert at Uni?
    They're expensive (very expensive); which is why you don't see many people with them at school. Going into uni a lot of people have loans, grants, or get bought laptops from parents for the next few years. Due to the popularity of the Macbook (branding, appearance amongst other things) a lot of people go for them at this point.

That's basically it.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Part of the reason is that the student discount brings them down to an affordable price.
    Certainly when I got my 13" Macbook Pro, the student discount brought it down to around the same price as the other laptops I was looking at.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaylafrances)
    allll the asian kids on their macs in the design studios heheh
    I have a pic as proof
    Don't be silly, Asians do science, not arts.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlie9872)
    This guy speaks the truth
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlie9872)
    You'd be ****ing surprised

and Korean, Chinese Asians.
    • 106 followers

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't happen much at our campus. Most people here have Windows/Linux computers - it is a computing and engineering campus, so it kinda makes sense that most people can't see the justification for a Macintosh

Think some of the design people might have them though
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    it is a computing and engineering campus, so it kinda makes sense that most people can't see the justification for a Macintosh
    The vast majority of people on my course (CS at Bath) have macs. No problem with having them for computing based stuff.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because its now become a trend. Im not against macs... But seriously, half the people that have them only use word, safari and itunes. So much wasted software that they could do without and save a load of money.

BASICALLY - Its more for the aesthetic rather than actual programs.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't happen much at our campus. Most people here have Windows/Linux computers - it is a computing and engineering campus, so it kinda makes sense that most people can't see the justification for a Macintosh

What Uni are you at, because supposedly everyone at St Andrews comp sci have macs?
    • 106 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    What Uni are you at, because supposedly everyone at St Andrews comp sci have macs?
    Staffordshire. The Stafford campus
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Almost all of my tutors/lectures for CS have Macs, but then again none of us students do. Not sure what, if anything, that says.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fallen)
    Almost all of my tutors/lectures for CS have Macs, but then again none of us students do. Not sure what, if anything, that says.
    That your lecturers aren't that-into PC gaming?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 10, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.