Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How come so many people have Macs at Uni?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    because they're brilliant.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'll be buying one ready for my first year. Not because of aesthetics or branding though. Purely because i prefer logic over cubase/pro tools.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a charade; the student loan has given them a false illusion of wealth, you can guarantee most of them live on noodles and beans on toast.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Pretentious? Moi?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    15% higher education discount.

Apple also offer a pretty decent finance plan which can be spread over the time spent at university.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget, whilst yeah they are quite expensive. They hold their resale value, unlike your standard windows laptop.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Biology students at UCL usually lugged windows/lunux laptops around. Many programmes used for data analysis etc simply don't run on a mac and so it isn't a viable option for most science students to do university work on.

Obviously this is going to be different for other courses. Bioinformatics and statistical biology is almost exclusively done on Linux, some programmes may run better on a mac. If one system was universally better for every scenario then there would be no need for the others.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I bought mine with a couple of months earnings during my gap year, but a few of the Mac users I've met at uni have bought them with their ridiculously huge maintenance loans. I expect this is a case for a lot of people who get all giddy when the government hands them upwards of a grand each term (after fees).
    Ridiculously huge, you say?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to develop iOS apps, so I wanted a mac for that reason. Plus in my DSA assessment they asked me what OS I preferred and I said I liked Macs, so they gave me one.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got mine for my 18th Birthday and plan on just bringing it with me, though I have heard of a couple of people who plan to buy one with their maintenance loans/grants. I know one person who actually got a free MacBook Pro from the Disabled Student Allowance!
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    For me and many people I've known at uni we find them better for what we use them for, recording and such.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)
    Biology students at UCL usually lugged windows/lunux laptops around. Many programmes used for data analysis etc simply don't run on a mac and so it isn't a viable option for most science students to do university work on.

Obviously this is going to be different for other courses. Bioinformatics and statistical biology is almost exclusively done on Linux, some programmes may run better on a mac. If one system was universally better for every scenario then there would be no need for the others.
    I'm gonna start Biology this year and I've got a Mac- can you explain your first point a bit please?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benthomas15)
    I'll be buying one ready for my first year. Not because of aesthetics or branding though. Purely because i prefer logic over cubase/pro tools.
    im doing the same, my dad has always had macs and theyve lasted far longer than anything my mum has ever had and its alwyas fast and still looks fab right up untill hes dropped a cup of tea on it 10 years later!

infact his first mac still works, its just so old doesnt know what internet is. so we all use it to type up things
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaylafrances)
    allll the asian kids on their macs in the design studios heheh
    I have a pic as proof
    Whats your problem with Asian people.

At least they can afford to buy one unlike you.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden_Boy786)
    Whats your problem with Asian people.

At least they can afford to buy one unlike you.
    Kaylafrances gets a pass to talk about the yellow man.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Part of the reason is that the student discount brings them down to an affordable price.
    Certainly when I got my 13" Macbook Pro, the student discount brought it down to around the same price as the other laptops I was looking at.
    ...Which also applies to school students. It's an education discount.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabelbarc)
    im doing the same, my dad has always had macs and theyve lasted far longer than anything my mum has ever had and its alwyas fast and still looks fab right up untill hes dropped a cup of tea on it 10 years later!

infact his first mac still works, its just so old doesnt know what internet is. so we all use it to type up things
    The older Macs were brilliant, but I'm not sure modern ones are quite as resilient. My friend's got a G4 which probably runs better than my old Macbook.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)
    Biology students at UCL usually lugged windows/lunux laptops around. Many programmes used for data analysis etc simply don't run on a mac and so it isn't a viable option for most science students to do university work on..
    If you have a Mac you can just install the Windows operating system onto it and use both.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because university is a very gay-friendly place and so a lot of them tend to come out there; a Mac is basically saying to the world "I love penis!" :ahee:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inspiration91)
    I'm gonna start Biology this year and I've got a Mac- can you explain your first point a bit please?
    I'm assuming it's because many programmes required for biology are linux based.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 10, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.