Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Losing inches, not weight

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in the process of loosing weight as I am currently slightly overweight, and it is working quite well. However, despite the fact that I am loosing weight, I don't seem to be loosing many inches. The main areas I would like to work on would be my chest, stomach and thighs. Can anyone suggest any exercises that could possible help me with this?
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    What exercises are you currently doing? What's your diet like? What's your height? Weight? (If you don't mind me asking )
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)
    What exercises are you currently doing? What's your diet like? What's your height? Weight? (If you don't mind me asking )
    I currently go to the gym several times a weeks and do 15 minutes on the treadmill, 15 minutes on the cross-trainer, 15 minutes on the exercise bike and 15 minutes on the rowing machine. I am eating lots of vegetables with things like fish. I am 5'7" and weight 63kg.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Usually it takes a while to loose inches when you're on a diet (unless it's a strict one), so don't worry too much about it!

Stretching exercises everyday will probably help you reach your goal and if you really like doing sports then swimming and cycling would be good too!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Incorporate weights into your exercise. You'll start noticing your clothes feel looser in no time at all
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missemmyb)
    I currently go to the gym several times a weeks and do 15 minutes on the treadmill, 15 minutes on the cross-trainer, 15 minutes on the exercise bike and 15 minutes on the rowing machine. I am eating lots of vegetables with things like fish. I am 5'7" and weight 63kg.
    Where do wanna lose the inches exactly?? Have you set goals?

Try looking into C25k (I think there's a thread on this floating around some where here) and pilates/power yoga (and other types of yoga whose names I forget) for a whole body workout. Or you could try isometric exercises like the vacuum pose which works the TVA muscles - the waist. They all hold a reputation for helping in inch loss rather than weight loss, although weight loss does occur in some.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can't lose weight on specific spots on your body, I'm afraid. If you want to get lower measurements in these places then you're gonna have to drop your body fat percentage a bit.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missemmyb)
    I am currently in the process of loosing weight as I am currently slightly overweight, and it is working quite well. However, despite the fact that I am loosing weight, I don't seem to be loosing many inches. The main areas I would like to work on would be my chest, stomach and thighs. Can anyone suggest any exercises that could possible help me with this?
    The only way you can do this is by lifting weights. Properly.

For advice on how to do this, read the stickies.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old School)
    The only way you can do this is by lifting weights. Properly.

For advice on how to do this, read the stickies.
    no.

If by "this" you mean losing weight, then eating properly is most important, and the exercise by no means HAS to be weightlifting.

If by "this" you meant losing fat in specific areas, then sorry but lifting weights won't help. The only way to lose fat from specific areas is lipo.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L-x)
    no.

If by "this" you mean losing weight, then eating properly is most important, and the exercise by no means HAS to be weightlifting.

If by "this" you meant losing fat in specific areas, then sorry but lifting weights won't help. The only way to lose fat from specific areas is lipo.
    Nice attempt at being clever.

Eating properly is a given. Anyone who doesn't know this is an idiot, therefore I don't always put it in my posts.

Spot reduction of fat isn't possible* however with weight training you can control where muscle goes on fairly well. This makes it possible to improve your shape (wide hips- increase size of delts to make waist appear narrower etc. etc.). Done properly and combined with a fat loss diet and some good old fashioned hard conditioning work the results are amazing.

Other forms of exercise are a) not as efficient as far as fat loss is concerned and b) do not improve body composition. People who follow the cardio+diet route (particularly overwieght individuals) end up looking like smaller versions of how they started or skinnyfat.

The problem is that proper lifting + diet + conditioning is really, really hard and most people just don't have the level of dedication required to succeed. Which is fine, so long as they don't kid themselves into thinking that jogging and eating a little better will get them a significantly better body and then moan about it when they inevitably fail because it's irritating.

*As far as science is concerned. There is anecdotal evidence to suggest that it is possible at very low bf%'s- think pre-contest bodybuilders. The theory goes that if you make the area really warm by wearing a lifting belt backwards under a hoodie it increases blood flow to the area and as a result more **** gets mobilized from the adipose cells due to increased blood flow. Sounds bat**** crazy but I know a few guys who compete and they swear by it for losing whatever tiny shreds of fat remain in the last few weeks before a BBing show.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 23, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.