The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 4 (6BI04) - 15 June 2012 - Official Exam Discussion Thread!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by arnab
ohh cool. Never ever read the green book, just memorised the whole of the CGP book:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Its this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Level-Science-Students-ActiveBook/dp/1408206021/ref=pd_sim_b_5/277-6886663-4132728
Its really good.
Reply 121
Original post by M Kh
x

heyy u said you will upload some notes niche? Can you please explain to me the concept of niche and what we need to know for our exam!
Reply 122

Thank you!

Can you explain to me the concept of niche and what we need to know for the exam on friday?
Reply 123
Original post by arnab
heyy u said you will upload some notes niche? Can you please explain to me the concept of niche and what we need to know for our exam!

Its explained very nicely in the cgp revision guide.. you need to know how a niche of a species affects distribution and abundance of organisms:-)
Read the guide...if you need help quote me
Reply 124
Original post by arnab
Thank you!

Can you explain to me the concept of niche and what we need to know for the exam on friday?

The niche of an organism is the role that a species plays in a community.
Niche and habitat are not the same. Many species may share a habitat but every species has a unique niche. The niche of an organism includes:
Its habitat
Its food sources
Its use of abiotic resources light, CO2, oxygen etc
The way in which it is influenced by abiotic factors the maximum and minimum temperatures in which it can survive, for example
The way in which it interacts with other individuals of the same species and with individuals of other species.
Please could someone explain how insects are used to determine time of death?

The text book says 'If the normal length of time for an egg to develop and pupate is subtracted from the date of pupation, it should be possible to work out the date on which the eggs were laid' I don't understand this at all, would really appreciate some clarification please!
Reply 126
Original post by Jasmine_777
Please could someone explain how insects are used to determine time of death?

The text book says 'If the normal length of time for an egg to develop and pupate is subtracted from the date of pupation, it should be possible to work out the date on which the eggs were laid' I don't understand this at all, would really appreciate some clarification please!

Determining the age of any insect maggots on the body allows the time the eggs were laid to be determined. This provides an estimate of time of death assuming any eggs were laid soon after death.
Reply 127
Original post by arnab

So sorry, internet was down for a few days. It's alright now.

Niche is a combination of what an organism does (e.g. its feeding type) and where it lives, i.e. where it does it the ‘address’ and role of an organism is its niche.

In any habitat a species occupies a specific niche determined by environmental conditions (biotic and abiotic factors) and the way that the species uses the habitat (food, shelter sites, feeding times, etc.). The distribution (where they are) and abundance (how many) are determined by these conditions. Changes in these conditions can therefore lead to changes in distribution and abundance.
Reply 128
Original post by 19941994
Thats a good idea! Not fussy about what time, as i'm in the UK (GMT) so just let me know what date and time people decide :smile: where online would we do this?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Ohkay, I am thinking at 9 pm GMT on 11th of June we shall start. We would discuss on this very thread itself. Ask your doubts and discuss every spec. point in detail. Tonight and for the next two days we have to discuss unit 4 phy but I will be available tonight at 9 pm GMT to discuss unit 4 bio as well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 129
Original post by aqua05
im on it :smile:

Ohkay, at 9 pm GMT from 11th June we shall start on this very thread itself.

Tonight and for the next two days we have to discuss unit 4 phy but I will be available tonight at 9 pm GMT to discuss unit 4 bio as well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 130
Original post by This Honest
I'll think about it but do let me know when it's gonna be. I'm in the uk too

Ohkay,at 9 pm GMT from 11th June we shall start. We shall discuss on this very thread. Hope to see you.

Tonight and for the next two days we have to discuss unit 4 phy but I will be available tonight at 9 pm GMT to discuss unit 4 bio as well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 131
Original post by arnab
I am on it! Why dont you, instead of deciding a time, just put up any questions or topics you dont get and I will try to answer you as best as i can!

Oh I do have doubts but the aim of group-discussion is to discuss all spec. points in detail and any synoptic questions that could come up.

At 9pm GMT from 11th June on this very thread. Hope to see you and don't forget to revise.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 132
Original post by M Kh
Ohkay, tonight at 9 pm GMT on this very thread itself.

ahh I will be doing chemistry at that time:frown::frown: I usually bio in the morning (9-3) and then chem (4-10) and then maths (11-3)

But i will gladly answer question you have. Just quote me :smile: and thanks for the help on niche! much appreciated!!!

1question I have is this : I have been doing past paper from the previous syllabus (the 5B papers) and in most of those papers, there are always some questions on transpiration. I am wondering, do we need to know about the transpiration for friday?
Reply 133
Original post by d_94
The niche of an organism is the role that a species plays in a community.
Niche and habitat are not the same. Many species may share a habitat but every species has a unique niche. The niche of an organism includes:
Its habitat
Its food sources
Its use of abiotic resources light, CO2, oxygen etc
The way in which it is influenced by abiotic factors the maximum and minimum temperatures in which it can survive, for example
The way in which it interacts with other individuals of the same species and with individuals of other species.

THANKS!!!
Reply 134
Original post by arnab
THANKS!!!

Welcome (:
Reply 135
Original post by M Kh
Oh I do have doubts but the aim of group-discussion is to discuss all spec. points in detail and any synoptic questions that could come up.

Tonight at 9pm GMT on this very thread. Hope to see you and don't forget to revise.

Suree! Of course I'm in!! This is soo great! Btw is there the same for Unit 4 Physics?
Reply 136
Original post by d_94
Suree! Of course I'm in!! This is soo great! Btw is there the same for Unit 4 Physics?

Yesss definitely, in fact I have left an announcement for unit 4 physics but no one replied so I assume you are in for unit 4 phy as well, right?

We shall discuss unit 4 bio on the 9th and 10th of June until we cover everything. After we finish unit 4 bio, we shall rest and then start unit 4 phy in the physics thread, ok?

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 137
Original post by arnab
ahh I will be doing chemistry at that time:frown::frown: I usually bio in the morning (9-3) and then chem (4-10) and then maths (11-3)

But i will gladly answer question you have. Just quote me :smile: and thanks for the help on niche! much appreciated!!!

1question I have is this : I have been doing past paper from the previous syllabus (the 5B papers) and in most of those papers, there are always some questions on transpiration. I am wondering, do we need to know about the transpiration for friday?

It's alright. I am not sure about transipiration in unit 4 but it comes in unit 2 and we have to be ready for synoptic questions.
Reply 138
Original post by M Kh
Yesss definitely, in fact I have left an announcement for unit 4 physics but no one replied so I assume you are in for unit 4 phy as well, right?

We shall discuss unit 4 bio on the 9th and 10th of June until we cover everything. After we finish unit 4 bio, we shall rest and then start unit 4 phy in the physics thread, ok?

But Unit 4 Physics is on 11th June, and Unit 4 Biology is on the 15th? So how can we discuss about Unit 4 Physics right after Bio?
Reply 139
Does anyone know which core practicals are likely to come up for unit 4 biology? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending