Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Amazing life not happy.

Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP just another thought.The most basic suggestion concerning a balanced life, which is sometimes cited by people as key to hapiness is the 'health,wealth and relationship' model. You obviously have the wealth part of the model covered for life by the sounds of thins, but health (mentally) and relationship elements appear to have been rejected. You can certainly use your wealth to atleast help your mental state of mind, by hiring a top therapist with a proven record of increasing peoples hapiness.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello everyone. before I start everything is 100% true. No need to acuse me of trolling or whatever I'm serious and need help.

I have a problem,long time reader of these parts of the forum and I think I could use your advice.
    The problem is that I have an amazing life that anyone would love to lead however I'm just not happy.I'm not depressed but I think I'm going down that route. There's absolutely nothing ''wrong'' per say I just can't find satisfaction or happiness.

Let me give you a little info so you know what I'm dealing with.
    I'm 18. My parents are rich. Not crazy rich but they make more than most families.
    I study in France. It's really interesting, I'm in a great city with lots to see and do.
    I make 22k a year net+ what my parents give me. I spend 600 a month on rent, live in a very comfortable apartment with another student. The rest of the money is spent on outings,clothes,protein powders and supplements,call girls,vacations etc.

I've got the money to spend 250 euro an hour on 18 year old eastern european prostitutes and I do, rather often.
    Me and my friend take a vacation every 2 months.When we go somewhere we are in a 5 star hotel and very rarely leave the suite.

I've been to Prague,Milan,Barcelona,Madrid,Lo ndon... without leaving the hotel room beyond the bare minimum. I wouldn't say I'm shy since I do part often, I just prefer to have total control over everything.

I've got a great future ahead of me. I'll be making at least 100k a year net once I graduate, I've got no problems academic wise, I'm a good student even tho I've got absolutely no motivation to study. No motivation to work no motivation to do anything besides gym. I was very fat three year ago and I've been on a weight loss journey ever since and even tho it's rather slow I'm eating incredibly healthy and I LOVE lifting weights.
    Literally the only joy in my day is the weight lifting room. I go as often as possible and that's usually for 2-3hour stretches every other day.

The main problem I have is I get no happiness from ANYTHING. I could be having a bath and instantly get bored or have absolutley no joy from it.
    I'd be sitting in a caffee in Barcelona listening to Catalan music and would be only thinking of when I could leave. I got a Porsche 991 gt3 for my 18th birthday, I wasn't even happy/excited. I don't have a problem with alcohol, I drink a bottle of wine a week with food.

I've got everything to be happy. I've tried everything too but it's just not working.
    I live in one of the most beautiful cities in europe,I make more money now than most people will when graduating and I don't even work. I've had sex with women that you guys could only dream of.

Why can't I find joy?

I'm not religious and not interested in spiritual journeys either so please don't bring that aspect up.
    Also I don't believe therapy can help me. I don't have much faith in a ''science'' that's being revised every 10 years.

Again just because for some of you this would be considered the dream life please don't think it's not true. I really need help.

Well, you answered yourself.
    You have everything, therefore nothing can really make you happy and you probably don't have anything to work hard for or to deeply wish for. It's actually a terrible sort of deprivation.
    You're living the ideal capitalistic life - in material abundance, that is to say - but as you can see, it's not what brings you happiness. A person must have something lacking in their life so one can appreciate the things one does have. Plus, you seem to be handed everything on a silver platter. Again, a terrible deprivation of the great feeling someone has when, for example, they work and study hard, get a job that fulfills them and know that their labour has brought about the comfortable life they have. It's completely different when you're bathing in money given to you by your parents.
    It is not your fault but these are just my thoughts as to why you may be unhappy in spite of seemingly having "everything". The trouble is, you're only looking at the materialistic side of life.

I have three suggestions - keep up the weight lifting, stop ordering call girls and start appreciating and respecting the opposite sex (so you can get a partner which will add meaning to your life - if you choose her out of the right reasons, of course) and join a charity. The latter is a must. Do something good for humanity, something that will give you a sense of selflessness and the feeling of being needed. That, or volunteer. Help those less fortunate than yourself.
    That is one of the things I can see might help you. Use what you have to do good deeds. I know it sounds like a cliche, but it isn't one for nothing.
    Your trouble at the moment is that you have no sense of direction; you don't really feel like you're contributing, or that the world would be any different if you were gone. So make a difference, and stop focusing on yourself.
    :loveduck:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I posted a comment saying Patrick Bateman, is that you? It was deleted and classed as spam/not on topic.

I'll elaborate on what I meant, when reading OPs post it reminded me of the book American Psycho, and the character is called Patrick Bateman.

Advice to OP (if genuine), try and do activites/get involved with people were money isn't an issue. I know it's vague and not very helpful, but maybe it'll help you make more meaningful connections.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You only seem to have spoken about your assets & how much money you make/will be making... Are you happy with other aspects of your life? Social life? Self-confidence? Close relationships? You seem to be making the mistake of thinking that you should be happy because you have all these assets. While I'm sure there would generally be a positive correlation with wealth & happiness, there are other factors. Money =/= happiness. You're not immune to depression. Maybe look into supplements first, I found supplements to be much more helpful than any anti-depressants ive ever been on.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Prostitutes? Why not get a girlfriend? Perhaps you would be much happier then. And it (might) be cheaper!

You could try living as if you didn't have so much money. Live like a 'normal' person for a while.
    Like, I live in a position where anything I want is bought for me and the house I live in is so ridiculous that I forget that there are other humans living and breathing out there. I'm doing well in A Levels and I don't even go to sixth form half the time. I end up getting so completely bored and demotivated, because nothing in my life is hard or challenging. I can't wait to move to uni and live in a tiny bedroom and share a bathroom and eat tesco value food and get a part time job and struggle and struggle and struggle.
    Relationship-wise, get one! And get one that you actually care about. Don't get into a relationship just for the sake of it, you will end up hating them. I know it's not very realistic to say this, but fall in love. Live for someone else, and maybe you'll start to care about your own life.
    Get a part time job, even though you don't need one. (Even better, volunteer!) It will fill up your time when you would be doing things you don't even care about, and you may even start hating getting up in the morning because of it, but that's good. You have to get angry and upset about things in order to be happy.
    I mean, how could you know what happy is if you are never sad? How can you appreciate your wealth if you have never been poor?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Post)
    What you need to do is look up something called Existentialism. It deals with all the problems you are having. One writer, Soren Kierkegaard, especially deals with what you are experiencing, he calls it the "aesthetic stage" of life. You should have no problem finding good books on the subject considering you live in France.
    Dabrowski's better :P but yeah kierkegaard has a place in my heart

Hello everyone. before I start everything is 100% true. No need to acuse me of trolling or whatever I'm serious and need help.

I have a problem,long time reader of these parts of the forum and I think I could use your advice.
    The problem is that I have an amazing life that anyone would love to lead however I'm just not happy.I'm not depressed but I think I'm going down that route. There's absolutely nothing ''wrong'' per say I just can't find satisfaction or happiness.

I'm 18. My parents are rich. Not crazy rich but they make more than most families.
    I study in France. It's really interesting, I'm in a great city with lots to see and do.
    I make 22k a year net+ what my parents give me. I spend 600 a month on rent, live in a very comfortable apartment with another student. The rest of the money is spent on outings,clothes,protein powders and supplements,call girls,vacations etc.

I've got the money to spend 250 euro an hour on 18 year old eastern european prostitutes and I do, rather often.
    Me and my friend take a vacation every 2 months.When we go somewhere we are in a 5 star hotel and very rarely leave the suite.

I've been to Prague,Milan,Barcelona,Madrid,Lo ndon... without leaving the hotel room beyond the bare minimum. I wouldn't say I'm shy since I do part often, I just prefer to have total control over everything.

I've got a great future ahead of me. I'll be making at least 100k a year net once I graduate, I've got no problems academic wise, I'm a good student even tho I've got absolutely no motivation to study. No motivation to work no motivation to do anything besides gym. I was very fat three year ago and I've been on a weight loss journey ever since and even tho it's rather slow I'm eating incredibly healthy and I LOVE lifting weights.
    Literally the only joy in my day is the weight lifting room. I go as often as possible and that's usually for 2-3hour stretches every other day.

The main problem I have is I get no happiness from ANYTHING. I could be having a bath and instantly get bored or have absolutley no joy from it.
    I'd be sitting in a caffee in Barcelona listening to Catalan music and would be only thinking of when I could leave. I got a Porsche 991 gt3 for my 18th birthday, I wasn't even happy/excited. I don't have a problem with alcohol, I drink a bottle of wine a week with food.

I've got everything to be happy. I've tried everything too but it's just not working.
    I live in one of the most beautiful cities in europe,I make more money now than most people will when graduating and I don't even work. I've had sex with women that you guys could only dream of.

Why can't I find joy?

I'm not religious and not interested in spiritual journeys either so please don't bring that aspect up.
    Also I don't believe therapy can help me. I don't have much faith in a ''science'' that's being revised every 10 years.

Again just because for some of you this would be considered the dream life please don't think it's not true. I really need help.

OP, watch BBC's toughest place to be and do stuff like http://www.wwoof.org/ take part in social, civic causes. volunteer at a minority rights group.. work with refugees, children.. what are you truly good at? are you born with talent or have you cultivated any sort of skill in life? find out what matters most to you (not what currently satisfies/appeases you). what is happy? there is no limit, and everyone defines that word for themselves. it's up to you to figure out what you want happy to mean. Your privilege or whatever has nothing to do with it. Work on the intrinsic stuff. Also, acquire self-efficacy. Carve a life of your own.

Some people in your position may need to experience losing everything or some transformational variant thereof, either externally triggered or internally through some serious introspection.. how do you feel about being a mortal..like, how do you react to the fact that we are all gonna die someday and that life is essentially quite pointless?

You need to find out who you want to be as a human being independently from all that you are born with and what you want to do while you are on planet earth (which may require finding out what planet earth is really about from all corners).

Try to meet and possibly befriend as many different types of women as you can. You don't have to have a sexual relationship with them if you really want to stick to your prostitutes (after all you can afford it and it's consent, so). But getting to know a wide spectrum of people, especially those of the opposite gender, is never a bad thing. But yeah the prostitute thing is pretty much a habit then now.. all of this depends on how much attention you choose to give on this life dilemma, and how committed you are to resolving it. It might open up a new chapter or it might scare the hell out of you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spend your money on going to the less well-off places and help people in need. Saving someone's life may save yours. Live in their situation, suffer, and then you'll feel.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The problem here is that you're trying to achieve happiness through money and material stuff. that's not how it works. how is your relationship with your family? do you have really good friends you can count on? do you have a special someone? do you really love your career? do you bother helping other people and doing charity work since you're so well-off? think about it. maybe that's the root of your lack of motivation and joy.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

Why can't I find joy?

I think you've reached the point now where you just need to head out somewhere remote and eat some mushrooms or acid or something.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone...

...I really need help.
    Well, apparently you've been handed everything in life have hardly had to work hard. Perhaps this is them problem. A lack of underlying ambition and, more importantly, passion. Clearly money isn't bringing you joy so maybe you would benefit from finding a career that will interest you far beyond the salary, rather than the 100k job that, I'm guessing, is a 9 to 5 in an office somewhere. You could also try travelling less developed parts of the world, backpacking or hitch hiking. I hear many people 'find themselves' this way, and they weren't all born with silver spoons in their mouths so it may have even more of an impact on you.

I'm finding it very difficult to feel sorry for you, however.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is hard if you have everything given to you on a silver platter. You'd be mad to give it up and run off to the forests, but the point is you feel you don't deserve it. And in a very real sense you don't, you haven't worked for it. Self-actualisation is what happens when you achieve something previously beyond you through genuine hard work.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    To me your life sounds incredibly depressing and nauseating, not amazing, even without all your negative emotions.

I'd recommend you read Brave New World if you haven't already, I think it might benefit you. But all I'll say is if everything you want you just get then they lose their worth. Without the real lows, you don't get true highs. It takes away the joys in life. I'm guessing you like the gym because you actually feel like you are actually challenging yourself and achieving something yourself rather than just being given muscle, like you are given everything else in your life.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Climb a mountain, return back to nature. You never feel more alive when you're in amongst life.

You said it yourself, you rarely ever leave your hotel room when you're in the most beautiful cities of the world. You need to get out there and experience it by yourself, not by proxy or by way of your money.

When does water taste best? When you're dehydrated, when you lack it, when you've been working in the sun for hours.

I can't claim to know your exact situation but I do have elements of what you're experiencing in my life as so far it's been relatively easy - got good GCSEs, A-Levels and Russell Group University without even breaking a sweat. From now on it's a challenge though and I'm relishing it. Challenge yourself.
    • 73 followers

ReputationRep:
    Further evidence for the biological element to depression..
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:

Why can't I find joy?

Edgy, man.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you spend your dough on Eastern European prostitutes is probably making you unhappy. Of course they only want your money (and, yeah, I'm sure you only want their bodies), but, whilst the experience may be fun at the time, no real girl is going to match up to someone pleasuring you under duress (whether that duress be indirect wage slavery or more direct). No real girl -- at least no real girl that's likely to fall in love with you -- is going to be perfectly proportioned or want to lick your ******** out or cater to your every whim; real relationships are built on true reciprocity and compromise. You need to need to derive your pleasure from other sources than cheap (as in tawdry) expensive (as in expensive) sex, otherwise you're just going to be addicted to cheap highs and deeper experiences that aren't so artificial will continue to offer you no benefit.

EDIT: I think the guy who mentioned Brave New World above was on to something. Another novel to add to your reading list might be Money by Martin Amis. G'luck.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.