Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why buy a Mac?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frequency)
    I don't think you realize there are more to viruses than 'free icons and emoticons'. but then again, people clicking ad's and signs that say 'DOWNLOAD NOW' don't know what the outcome will be, and to me seems quite amusing.
    Oh I know there is more to it, just that most people I know who have got viruses, have not had any common sense when it comes to the big DOWNLOAD NOW button...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullettheory)
    Oh I know there is more to it, just that most people I know who have got viruses, have not had any common sense when it comes to the big DOWNLOAD NOW button...
    It's usually when they're about to download something else stupid.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perlsh)
    I'll probably get negged for this, but subjectively because it's faster and the battery lasts incredibly long.
    Faster in what sense, compared to what?
    Im not saying you are wrong, I'm just wondering what you are comparing it too

Batteries in macs are superb, though.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabelbarc)
    was just reading this thread about uni students buying macs: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1950160
    it made me think about why everyone seems to be getting one these days when clearly there are far cheaper options. Personally I shall be buying one as soon as i can afford them and this is why:
    My Dad has always had a mac, he's an architect, an engineer, a photographer and a musician; he has always found the mac to be the most suitable to fit all his criteria because of the up to date software and clever program.
    His first mac still works (and we use it!), it just doesnt recognise the internet its so old.
    Its all encompassing of my other gadgets -ipod, iphone etc
    They ALWAYS look good -theyre a timeless classic.
    They have far more logical software to use (i'm not saying windows etc is no good but its far more complicated)
    Also its nearly always first to bring out a new ingenious product. (like the ipad which has left every other technology company gagging to keep up)

The mac is ahead of time, i love it and it beats my Old Dell by miles.

However I know That loads of people will disagree, what are your reasons?
    COME AT ME! :P
    Ipad isn't exactly a new ingenious product, considering the fact that other firms had them before them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ipad_vs_hp_tc_1100.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	137248
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Ipad isn't exactly a new ingenious product, considering the fact that other firms had them before them.

Apple did not invent the tablet PC if that is what you mean?
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Apple did not invent the tablet PC if that is what you mean?
    That pretty much and a bit more I suppose, the OP makes them seem like they've invented new technology, when in reality they are probably refining old technology and put large prices on them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Windows operating system is very good, but the hugely diverse range of hardware means that it doesn't run as intended, may need to use dodgy drivers to work, etc, which results in poor performance or problems.

Standardised hardware vastly reduces these issues, resulting in much more stable systems, better quality components.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    That pretty much and a bit more I suppose, the OP makes them seem like they've invented new technology, when in reality they are probably refining old technology and put large prices on them.
    Wouldn't worry. You get misconceptions that Ford invented the car when they didn't, Thomas Edison invented the lightbulb when he didn't, few people into computers know who invented C etc.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've had my macbook for 6 years and it still fully works, battery lasts for three hours and is not slow in any way! Quality that lasts. You buy long term with a mac.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did we really need 2 of these threads within a day of one another?
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Wouldn't worry. You get misconceptions that Ford invented the car when they didn't, Thomas Edison invented the lightbulb when he didn't, few people into computers know who invented C etc.
    Yeah I know, but its annoying......especially when they pass it off as facts -_-
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:

The iPad doesn't have an audio jack!?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because I took Music Tech at A Level am now at university, and programs such as Logic Pro are fantastic, and is only available on mac, which is why I have one
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It really is a great machine, whatever it is Macbook Pro, iMac or Mac pro they are perfect for multitasking. They aren't as prone to viruses unlike Windows OS either.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohirome)
    Ah, but the PC still runs on good ol' craptastic Windows. Ive used my iMac for over a year now almost constantly and rarely shut it down and have yet to have even one minor crash or cockup. Compare that to most peoples experience of Windows and, well, it makes sense. I'd much rather pay for quality and reliability over the fact that 'omggzzzzz u can play warcraftz lyk a beast man omg'.
    Funny you mac users always play the reliability card. The fact of the matter is if you're not a retard and actually look after your PC it will last as long as any mac. Guess what? I've had my laptop for years and it's never crashed, BSODd, over heated, caught a virus, nothing.

The fact that Windows is used by the vast majority of the population, you'd have to be thick to not understand that more people will experience crashes, especially as a lot of the more technologically incapable people go for Windows.

(Original post by Chicharito14)
    It was actually down to multiple hardware faults, which could've been down to the poor manufacturing of his Dell laptop, not because he felt like breaking it.

Don't jump to conclusions mate :facepalm2:
    So whilst this thread is arguing about Windows+PC vs Mac, you introduce Dell, which were the fault of his sh*te experience?

(Original post by perlsh)
    And now, please note that I did write subjectively! If that graphic is right, then point taken. But compared to other laptops I used (Toshiba, HP) my Macbook's definitely faster. It's probably because of the specs, but still: It's my experience and I never said otherwise.
    So the post was completely irrelevant, as what you basically said was "I'll probably get negged for this, but a Bugatti Veyron is faster than a Nissan Micra".
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSingingMute)
    Funny you mac users always play the reliability card. The fact of the matter is if you're not a retard and actually look after your PC it will last as long as any mac. Guess what? I've had my laptop for years and it's never crashed, BSODd, over heated, caught a virus, nothing.

The fact that Windows is used by the vast majority of the population, you'd have to be thick to not understand that more people will experience crashes, especially as a lot of the more technologically incapable people go for Windows.
    I can't speak for everyone else, but I personally would never go back to using a Windows machine and that is completely due to reliability and partially because its the industry standard in design. I don't care about how many people use Windows and the relative figures...the systems I used as a kid and until about 3/4 years ago were awful, buggy and slow. Im not a technophobe and more than know my way around pc's and macs, ran antivirus, cleaned the registry, defragged etc etc. Again, its simply down to person taste. Slagging people off and berating their intelligence for having their own preferences is slightly silly.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    My reliant old Dell computer died of internal organ failure (3000+ viruses) about 4 years ago, the ensuing conversation with Daddy went like this;

Me; "Daddy, I need a new computer"
    *The next day*
    Daddy; "Here you go"
    *Hands MacBook Pro*

And that's how I got my MacBook, was a bit unsure at first, but it's 4 years old now and the battery still lasts 7 hours. Having said that I agree with everybody here, in so far as you wouldn't catch me parting with my money for one. (Thanks Daddy)
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabelbarc)
    was just reading this thread about uni students buying macs: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1950160
    it made me think about why everyone seems to be getting one these days when clearly there are far cheaper options. Personally I shall be buying one as soon as i can afford them and this is why:
    My Dad has always had a mac, he's an architect, an engineer, a photographer and a musician; he has always found the mac to be the most suitable to fit all his criteria because of the up to date software and clever program.
    His first mac still works (and we use it!), it just doesnt recognise the internet its so old.
    Its all encompassing of my other gadgets -ipod, iphone etc
    They ALWAYS look good -theyre a timeless classic.
    They have far more logical software to use (i'm not saying windows etc is no good but its far more complicated)
    Also its nearly always first to bring out a new ingenious product. (like the ipad which has left every other technology company gagging to keep up)

The mac is ahead of time, i love it and it beats my Old Dell by miles.

However I know That loads of people will disagree, what are your reasons?
    COME AT ME! :P
    :facepalm: Where to begin....
    Firstly, any software that is only for macs and does not utilise unix is old software that has not realised that Macs are no longer the most powerful and have not been for many years. As for music software, that is laughable seeing that no Mac even has a dedicated soundcard :giggle:
    All computers will recognise devices, Macs recognise the least.
    Logic has nothing to do with the software. It is simple, which for many users, is not good as it is very restricting.
    Actually Apple do not develop the tech, they just rush it to come out first. As for the components in the laptops and desktops, they become over priced and dated very quickly.

(Original post by ClawlessRaver)
    Because I took Music Tech at A Level am now at university, and programs such as Logic Pro are fantastic, and is only available on mac, which is why I have one
    How do you get around the lack of dedicated sound card? :curious:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    :facepalm: Where to begin....
    Firstly, any software that is only for macs and does not utilise unix is old software that has not realised that Macs are no longer the most powerful and have not been for many years. As for music software, that is laughable seeing that no Mac even has a dedicated soundcard :giggle:
    All computers will recognise devices, Macs recognise the least.
    Logic has nothing to do with the software. It is simple, which for many users, is not good as it is very restricting.
    Actually Apple do not develop the tech, they just rush it to come out first. As for the components in the laptops and desktops, they become over priced and dated very quickly.
    I wouldn't say that at all. I've been using Logic for nearly three years, and am constantly finding something new from it Definitely not restricting at all. It's a top programme.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClawlessRaver)
    I wouldn't say that at all. I've been using Logic for nearly three years, and am constantly finding something new from it Definitely not restricting at all. It's a top programme.
    Ah, I do not mean Logic Pro, but OP claiming that the Mac OS is somehow more logical, even though it is very limited in customisation etc. Logic Pro is actually very good, but sadly the programmes finesse will be wasted due to the lack of a dedicated soundcard, thus no matter how good your headphones or speakers are, the huge volume of noise on the audio channel will great reduce the level of fidelity.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 30, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.