Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I have diabetes?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on

For the last 6-7 weeks I've had several symptoms which I'm thinking could be caused by diabetes. I've felt faint, light-headed and had headaches and generally felt weak and dizzy. I've also had some stomach problems; loose stools, a kind of hunger pain - but not, if you know what I mean, and also some bloating. I've also had a really annoying twitch in my left eye, but that's probably a separate issue I guess.

I'd appreciate the opinion of those who suffer from diabetes and/or people with some medical knowledge on the subject.

Many thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're probably just a hypercondriac, but you best go to the doctor just to make sure.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're really worried you should go to the doctor instead of asking here. And don't tell them that you're self-diagnosing something like diabetes. They hate it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you simply aren't eating enough? Have you had any significant weight loss? If you're very worried you could go to your gp, there are simple tests such as a basic glucose dipstick that they could carry out.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Those non specific symtoms could be a whole load of things....diabetes being quite low on the list. Best to stop looking at websites and go see a doctor if you are truly concerned
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We pay taxes for a the NHS you know..so go see a doctor obviously instead of asking unqualified students online.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    As I diabetic I'd say that, with those symptoms, you probably haven't got it but you're clearly not well.

:doctor:

(Original post by Archamedes)
    You're probably just a hypercondriac, but you best go to the doctor just to make sure.
    No, I'm not a hypochondriac. This is actually the first time I've had health concerns in my life. Thanks for your advice anyhow.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ask this man:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YTP_Wilford_Brimley_was_screwed_by_diabeetus.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	137221
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    How can we diagnose you?

Go see your doctor.

Diabetes symptoms include weight loss, hunger, frequent urination, increased thirst.

(Original post by Carpediemxx)
    Those non specific symtoms could be a whole load of things....diabetes being quite low on the list.
    Really? Having done some research on my symptoms online diabetes seemed to be the thing that cropped up most often. Although some of the symptoms are indirect (caused by dehydration).
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im diabetic and my main symptoms before I was diagnosed were:

Excessive thirst (I was constantly thirsty, no matter how much I drank)
    Dry mouth
    Needing to pee all the time
    Always tired
    Always hungry
    Lost significant amount of weight

I dont think your symptoms sound like diabetes necessarily but go to the doctor and let them diagnose you!

(Original post by Kiss)
    Ask this man:

With respect, what's the point in a health forum if all anybody is going to say is "go to the doctors" or words to that effect? I came on here for some information first before I decide to go to the doctors or not, I don't want to waste the doctors time.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    Ask this man:

The 'beetis.

OP, you're not wasting the doctor's time. If you think there's something wrong, get it checked out. That's what they do, it's not as if you get penalised if it turns out that don't have a diease. See the doc.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Really? Having done some research on my symptoms online diabetes seemed to be the thing that cropped up most often. Although some of the symptoms are indirect (caused by dehydration).
    maybe... but dehydration isn't necessarily caused by diabetes.

if theres a medical problem, see a doctor (its free!)

'research symptoms online'? why bother?! you'll have to see a doctor eventually if theres a problem, or even just for reassurance if you think you have a problem! They're the ones to actually do tests, make an official diagnoses and prescribe medication if needed!

Getting worked up by some website that doesn't know your circumstances will just make it harder when you visit your GP!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    With respect, what's the point in a health forum if all anybody is going to say is "go to the doctors" or words to that effect? I came on here for some information first before I decide to go to the doctors or not, I don't want to waste the doctors time.
    Without actually seeing someone, as well as without lab results, vitals, certain monitoring results and a physical examination, it`s hard/impossible even for a qualified Health Care Professional to set a diagnose, leaving beside that most on this board propably aren`t HCPs.

Most symptoms are unspecific and can be found in a variety of different illnesses, therefore you need the above listed diagnostic variables.

So as a result: Yeah, go see a doctor.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cos its the internet, and diabetes has quite massive associations. If you are concerned with your problems see a doctor, thats what they are there for. I can tell you from first hand experience there are people who go to the doctors with much more "timewasting" things than what you describe.

Also , no one here can diagnose you with it even if you have every cardinal symptom, because you can't do a glucose tolerance test over the net

(Original post by Vorenus)
    Without actually seeing someone, as well as without lab results, vitals, certain monitoring results and a physical examination, it`s hard/impossible even for a qualified Health Care Professional to set a diagnose, leaving beside that most on this board propably aren`t HCPs.

Most symptoms are unspecific and can be found in a variety of different illnesses, therefore you need the above listed diagnostic variables.

So as a result: Yeah, go see a doctor.
    Ok, but I wasn't asking for a diagnosis, just some information.

Tbh going to the doctors scares the crap outta me, I'm working up the courage, ok?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If ya really don't want to go to the doctors for an official test, diabetics can have sugar (sweet) in the urine.......
    • 64 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably not. Diabetics notably need to urinate more frequently and feel more thirsty than non-diabetics.

But yes, see a doctor. We can offer suggestions, but only the doctor can say for sure by carrying out blood tests. And try not to look it up yourself, it's most likely just going to make you needlessly worry

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 21, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

Waiting for your grades? Let off some steam in our results chat megathread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.