Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which application to use for playing a DVD on Macbook Pro?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I just got a new Macbook Pro and I really want to know which application or software I could use to play some DVDs? I've tried the FrontRow App but it đin't seem to work :confused: Thanks xx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In your 'Applications' folder, you should have an application called 'DVD Player'. Open that up, and away you go...
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mee.vu)
    Hey guys,
    I just got a new Macbook Pro and I really want to know which application or software I could use to play some DVDs? I've tried the FrontRow App but it đin't seem to work :confused: Thanks xx
    LIke the above poster said, the stock DVD player app works fine for me.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ok I'll try. Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I use VLC media player, works a charm
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have VLC but barely use it apart from stuff in weird formats (like some rips off a blue-ray a friend sent me which were HD and my normal video players wouldn't touch them, but VLC happily played them). Just press CMD and space-bar and then type 'dvd' into the search box and press enter, and it'll open the DVD player.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Quicker way to get to DVD player is hit Command and Space Bar together to bring up Finder, type "DVD" and you'll see DVD Player come up, hit enter and bam, there it is.
    I've found this to be the best way to play ripped DVD images as well (legally obtained for long trips of course).
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mountainmetman)
    Quicker way to get to DVD player is hit Command and Space Bar together to bring up Finder, type "DVD" and you'll see DVD Player come up, hit enter and bam, there it is.
    I've found this to be the best way to play ripped DVD images as well (legally obtained for long trips of course).
    Literally word for word what I put, about ten minutes too slow there mate
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mountainmetman)
    Thats not finder, thats spotlight...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Literally word for word what I put, about ten minutes too slow there mate
    That's the problem with typing at work, have to do it in the background so the boss doesn't notice - takes about 20 minutes to get a post done.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What about for playing .avi's ?
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverbySkyline)
    Good ol' VLC plays them if I remember correctly.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Good ol' VLC plays them if I remember correctly.
    Nice! Cheers mate. Tried to download some plugin for quicktime of an *ahem* shady website but didn't really pan out! I'll give VLC a download tonight! Is it free?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverbySkyline)
    AVIs aren't a single format, it's what's known as a "container" format that can't definitively be read by any given program.

That said, VLC tends to read the vast majority of formats that might be contained in an AVI, so it's a good bet :yy:
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    AVIs aren't a single format, it's what's known as a "container" format that can't definitively be read by any given program.

That said, VLC tends to read the vast majority of formats that might be contained in an AVI, so it's a good bet :yy:
    You've made me curious, do you know of any combinations of a/v codecs that do not work in VLC?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    You've made me curious, do you know of any combinations of a/v codecs that do not work in VLC?
    All of those exceptionally common unsupported codecs on their list, I guess? :p:
    (I guess not being able to trivially play Blurays out of the box is the only issue that any normal person is likely to encounter ever, and it looks like it doesn't support legacy Real stuff).
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    All of those exceptionally common unsupported codecs on their list, I guess? :p:
    (I guess not being able to trivially play Blurays out of the box is the only issue that any normal person is likely to encounter ever, and it looks like it doesn't support legacy Real stuff).
    Ah interesting.
    Should have been a bit more specific though -
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    You've made me curious, do you know of any combinations of a/v codecs compatible with an avi container that do not work in VLC?
    But your link (when combined with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...mats_supported) helpfully answered my question anyway.

Yuck. Realplayer.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 27, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.