The Student Room Group

How confident are people in getting A and A* at Alevel?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Helloworld_95
The people who are most confident that they can get an A* are probably the least likely to get it.

so true
Original post by deano0417
IMO A's are the not the hard thing to get but the A* is a whole step up from an A, an A requires a average amount of revision but to get an A* real effort is needed and you have to be quite intelligent to begin with to be capable of getting an A*

why did this get negative ratings?
I'm fairly confident I'll get an A in Psychology but anything could happen. English and Drama... I'll be happy with a B :smile:
I need at least 1 A* for an offer and don't think I'll get it, A2's much harder than AS and 90% is a bit crazy. I'm not too worried about As, as long as you did well in AS you can do a bit worse at A2. But yeah, it's silly how AS counts towards an A but not an A*, leaves silly possibilities.
Reply 23
Original post by MisanthropicLemon
I need at least 1 A* for an offer and don't think I'll get it, A2's much harder than AS and 90% is a bit crazy. I'm not too worried about As, as long as you did well in AS you can do a bit worse at A2. But yeah, it's silly how AS counts towards an A but not an A*, leaves silly possibilities.

yeah that's a bit odd, in my exam board (CIE) AS counts for an A* (you need 90% overall)
Reply 24
Original post by tehforum
My name is Zhy, and I'm hoping for a clean sweep of 100 UMS.

:colone:

Muhaha :wink: ....wait a sec I'd be more than happy with 3 80 UMS (that's an A right?)... :redface:
Reply 25
I'd say about 99% of TSR... i am the 1%.
I hope to get AAA at A-Level :smile: Not sure about the A in AS physics though :/
Original post by bmqib
yeah that's a bit odd, in my exam board (CIE) AS counts for an A* (you need 90% overall)

Well that's probably a much better way of doing it, in my exams it's possible to get 60% at AS (lowest C possible) and 100% at A2 and get an A* overall because you've achieved 80% overall and 90% in your A2. Extreme example but less extreme occurrences aren't unlikely. Surely it's wrong that that can happen?
Reply 29
I'm not confident at all.
Reply 30
The wise get the A*s (with effort ofc).
Reply 31
I was somewhat confident after my AS exams because I had worked out that I didn't need that high grades to get an A overall. Wasn't confident at all in getting A*s, what with the need for 90% in A2.
Reply 32
Original post by bmqib

Hi, could you tell me how someone can achieve an A* in a CIE Alevel exam because none of my teachers at my school really know or they all say different things and its confusing me and I want to know if I have a slim chance? Thanks (:
Original post by deano0417
IMO A's are the not the hard thing to get but the A* is a whole step up from an A, an A requires a average amount of revision but to get an A* real effort is needed and you have to be quite intelligent to begin with to be capable of getting an A*

thats not true u need to hope that u unit 3 and 4 papers are orthodox

ie orthodox in the sense that they are mixure of past exam papers

i got 97% in my a2 bio unit 3 after only 10 days revision(well actually learning from scratch)

but i got 70% in unit 4 even though i revised throughout, because of the stupid nature of questios set
So it depends greatly on luck
Reply 34
Well its more like 90%+ requires a great level of understanding.
To be honest now, after the way exams are going, i'd be lucky to get at least one A.
Reply 36
I was until Wednesday.
Student Room is depressing for people like me who want A/s A*s but no they're not going to get them :frown:
Original post by Implo
I was until Wednesday.

Tell me about it. My first exam, C1 maths:frown:
I am obviously aiming for A* and I will put absolutely everything into c3 c4 but at the end of the day I can online do my best so who knows. I sincerely hope I am good enough.

Quick Reply

Latest