The Student Room Group

How confident are people in getting A and A* at Alevel?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
and i don't care about no negs mother ****ers
Original post by Jukeboxing
James A*

nah, your the one with A*'s :wink:
Reply 62
Original post by James A
I definetly think its possible to get my A* for math.

For chem i could get an A*, but i would have to get full ums on both unit 4 and 5

biology, hell no, B at the max xD

How do you think it's possible to get A* in Chemistry and Maths, but not Biology?
Chemistry makes me want to cry and i get Es and Us in Tests, low D in the first exam, expecting an E in the next (Even though I'm predicted an A)
Whereas biology i got 90% in the first exam, and should get an A at AS level (hopefully!)

I thought it was the general consensus that Biology is easier than the other 2? :/
Original post by Mojojojo
How do you think it's possible to get A* in Chemistry and Maths, but not Biology?
Chemistry makes me want to cry and i get Es and Us in Tests, low D in the first exam, expecting an E in the next (Even though I'm predicted an A)
Whereas biology i got 90% in the first exam, and should get an A at AS level (hopefully!)

I thought it was the general consensus that Biology is easier than the other 2? :/

It's the exam technique my friend.

AQA biology is the hardest out there and requires an incredible amount of exam technique as well as answering experimental questions (exam style questions) correctly. That's what makes it hard, but apart from that the content is relatively easy than chemistry.....
Reply 64

So it is...my friends think I'm nuts for preferring maths and chemistry a whole lot more than biology lol...some people prefer not to regurgitate large volumes of information, cram for the exam and then forget it the second they leave the exam..I'd rather understand how the concept works so if a weird question comes up, I can use my understanding to apply it..
Reply 65
chemistry is about doing enough past papers enough until the information is embedded in your head, my chem exam is on 21st
:nooo:
Original post by James A
nah, your the one with A*'s :wink:

I need 82 in C4 for an A*, easy.

About 114/120 in Unit 5 Chemistry for an A*; :s-smilie:.

100% in Unit 5 Physics for an A*, possible as boundaries are generally low.

I can get 3A*'s if i really put the effort in.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by SuziieB
So it is...my friends think I'm nuts for preferring maths and chemistry a whole lot more than biology lol...some people prefer not to regurgitate large volumes of information, cram for the exam and then forget it the second they leave the exam..I'd rather understand how the concept works so if a weird question comes up, I can use my understanding to apply it..

your sig reminded me that i missed two marks because i wasted time chatting with the examiner during the exam :emo:
Reply 68
even coffee tastes like piss now
Reply 69

I'm in the same situation as James A, i'm comfortably going to get an A in Chemistry but Biology? Chemistry papers are very much science, they don't throw in strange questions about how science works, or random "why might it be difficult to measure a child's height?" (I made that up, it's a bad example :tongue:)
If you understand the concepts of Chemistry, you'll be fine. If you understand the concepts of Biology, you still need to have oodles of common sense and not overthink anything (or ignore science altogether in some cases) :redface:

To bring the thread back on track, I think i'll get AAB. It's possible for AAA but i'm a bit nervous about my English coursework, so i'm working extra hard in my A subjects to make sure I meet my uni offer, rather than trying for AAA and spreading myself a bit thin.
Reply 70
I'd like an A in everything, but - basing this on past experience - I don't want to get my hopes up. Honestly, I'd settle for a B, but I'd still be disappointed...:s-smilie:
Original post by alexmagpie
If you count general studies and extended project I got A*A*A*A*B at A2 (B in French)

I know it does happen :P it's just odd, there's someone in my year who got AAAD :P
Biology: used to be confident until I found out my isa went badly so now I need almost 100 UMS in next 2 exams for the A*. But it's still doable I guess, but I'm very confident for the A.
Chemistry: not sure, going to work hard to try and make it happen.
English Lit: very confident for an A, confident for an A*
Art: not very confident, grade boundaries are ridiculously high and I massively slacked off at A2 soI'll be very hapy with an A
Reply 73
I feel confident even though I'm an C/B student now, it's because i'm fully aware that I messed up in year 10- 11 because i under prepared I know it will be difficult but at least i'm doing subjects i actually enjoy
An A? Relatively.

An A*? Absolutely no chance in heck.
I'm predicted:

Maths: A*
Further Maths A*
Chemistry: A
Physics: A

GPR: [doesn't really count]: Distinction

And at the moment as I did so well in my AS levels the percentages I need to get As are fairly low so I would say I'm quite confident I can reach those targets. It does require work, I know there are some people that think they can get As without doing work and revision but I think that those cases are really, really rare. And then there are other cases where somebody does all the revision but they aren't using the method that best suits them or that helps them find the right answer in the real exam. As long as you're revising well enough to do well in practise past papers then there's no reason not to feel confident. I agree with the person that said there is a massive jump between A and A star - in my chemistry and physics they give an A star based on the overall quality of the work, not just the percent from the exam, so it is much harder.
seriously, put the effort in, it's worth it!
Reply 77
Original post by Jukeboxing
I need 82 in C4 for an A*, easy.

About 114/120 in Unit 5 Chemistry for an A*; :s-smilie:.

100% in Unit 5 Physics for an A*, possible as boundaries are generally low.

I can get 3A*'s if i really put the effort in.

Well done on the 98UMS in C3 :wink:
Original post by oli_G
Well done on the 98UMS in C3 :wink:

:colondollar:
Reply 79
I was predicted 3A*s and an A/A* in Spanish, but I'm so nervous because I don't think I did that well at all in any of my courseworks or my language oral. I'm more of an exam girl and it's really upsetting that even if I work hard now, I may not even be able to get a*s because of my previous work (which I've had to do in all subjects bar Spanish). I don't know any of my marks - I'm just guessing (and I need an A* for uni).

:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest