The Student Room Group

Speed cameras - what do they look like

is this a speed camera?

Also are speed cameras ALWAYS on the far left side of the road they are monitoring? (can they be on the right, for instance on the other side of the road)

Scroll to see replies

looks like it... on motorways etc, you get small boxes on tall towers...

on slower roads, you often see yellow boxes, sometimes with white (distances) lines on the road in front of them, they measure you're time over that distance...

I think the ones at traffic lights are mainly sensors rather than speed cameras though... they check people are off crossings before turning green etc...
Reply 2
See here for a selection of different speed cameras
No, these are part of the TrafficMaster system - these monitor traffic speed between cameras on individual vehicle basis and can give an idea of congestion so your radio station gives accurate traffic reports. They owned by a private company and theoretically could sell your data as a speeder, but currently that's illegal and the vehicle data is disposed of after the time is logged.

There are also green ones, which do exactly the same thing but do it for public authorities, as well as having some ANPR cameras around too.
speed cameras are always yellow (aside from on varyable speed limits on motorways, such as the M25, where they are indicated by a 'speed camera' sign on the gantry, and are only in operation when the speed limit is >70mph)

look here, (click images)
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=speed+camera
Original post by Boristhethird
speed cameras are always yellow (aside from on varyable speed limits on motorways, such as the M25, where they are indicated by a 'speed camera' sign on the gantry, and are only in operation when the speed limit is >70mph)

look here, (click images)
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=speed+camera

This.
You will know if you see one- with them being bright yellow, you cant really miss them. There are usually signs around saying there are speed csmeras anyway.
Reply 6
This is a speed camera.

Reply 7
Original post by James'
This is a speed camera.

Thats quality, remember seeing it before, the bit a the end with the cops is funny.
Original post by ilovemath
is this a speed camera?

Also are speed cameras ALWAYS on the far left side of the road they are monitoring? (can they be on the right, for instance on the other side of the road)

Speed cameras on UK roads normally look like this:
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01861/speedCamera_1861957c.jpg
http://m.gmgrd.co.uk/sbres/324.$plit/C_67_article_2038259_body_articleblock_0_bodyimage.jpg?29%2F10%2F2008%2009%3A30%3A04%3A022
Reply 9
Why do you need to know ??!!

If you are driving correctly does it really matter?
They can set up one by the side of the road for speed and then just issue the ticket through the post. I've 3 points on my license that will back this up :frown:
Original post by James'
This is a speed camera.

Well that's cheered me up.
Speed cameras around my area usually look like this...

If you see a police car/van, they also may have a camera in the back of their car.
Reply 14
Can someone explain what this fascination is with speed cameras please?
Original post by ROG.
Why do you need to know ??!!

If you are driving correctly does it really matter?

It matters a lot actually. Why do you think no law has been passed to allow hidden speed cameras? They debated this but then realised pretty much everyone will have points, hence why they have to warn you in advance.
Reply 16
Original post by Potential Trigger
It matters a lot actually. Why do you think no law has been passed to allow hidden speed cameras? They debated this but then realised pretty much everyone will have points, hence why they have to warn you in advance.

that was just a political move because they did not want to lose votes from motorists claiming the Govt was being sneaky

The reality is that if drivers concentrated and did what they are capable of, as they proved when they did the test, then speed cameras would disappear

This means that drivers who are concerned about them are the ones who cannot or will not drive correctly
Reply 17
Original post by ROG.
that was just a political move because they did not want to lose votes from motorists claiming the Govt was being sneaky

When they were introduced they were supposedly intended to slow traffic down in accident black spots - a hidden camera would be entirely ineffective for that purpose unless you're a local and know about it beforehand. Of course if speed cameras were effective at reducing speed then they wouldn't make any money!
Original post by ROG.

The reality is that if drivers concentrated and did what they are capable of, as they proved when they did the test, then speed cameras would disappear

This means that drivers who are concerned about them are the ones who cannot or will not drive correctly

I have been driving for close to 6 years and no points. I actually think that they catch out the more naive people who are not so aware. On car forums where I frequently write, some of these guys speed a lot, yet no points. They know the law.

Yet an old doctor who I worked with had 6 points. He doesn't speed to the extent like these guys on the forum but because he was unaware he has been caught out.
Lumps of charred metal if I had a shotgun.

Quick Reply

Latest