Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Reaction times calculation

Announcements Posted on
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sensory information has to travel from the eye to the sensory cortex then to the motor cortex and then down to the spinal cord to activate motorneurones, which innervate the muscles in the fingers (a distance of about 1 metre). Assuming the nerve conduction velocity is 50m/s and there is a minimum of 4 synapses involved (delay of 2ms per synapse), what should the reaction time be?

Why do you think reaction times are longer than this and where does most of the delay occur in reaction times?

I can't think straight and I have no idea how to go about the calculation. I think most of the delay would occur in processing the information in the brain and deciding whether or not to react to it, not too sure where most of the delay occurs though.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    So a distance of 1m, and velocity is 50m/s. t=d/s, so 1/50 = 0.02s or 20ms, then there's a delay of 2ms per synapse, of which there are 4. so +8ms.

I get 28ms minimum but it may be worth checking my maths.
    Bear in mind the question only outlines the nervous pathway, It doesn't mention the reactions or interactions (myosin/actin binding) in the muscles, which will also take time.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    So a distance of 1m, and velocity is 50m/s. t=d/s, so 1/50 = 0.02s or 20ms, then there's a delay of 2ms per synapse, of which there are 4. so +8ms.

I get 28ms minimum but it may be worth checking my maths.
    Bear in mind the question only outlines the nervous pathway, It doesn't mention the reactions or interactions (myosin/actin binding) in the muscles, which will also take time.
    Thanks a lot

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 20, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.