Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where can a history degree take me?

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ive just been having a debate with my brother, and come to think of it ive had a few people sneer at the idea of doing a history degree. Saying stuff like where is that going to take you unless you want to be a history teacher, where will knowing about henry Vlll get oyu in the future etc.

I tell them that its not the narrative that gets you the job but the key skills of critical thinking and evaluation as well as research skills make you a more well rounded candidate for a wider pool of jobs.

But when he asks for examples i dont know exactly what to give as im merely quoting what uni lecturers and others have said. I dont want to feel like im studying a redundant subject. Can anyone shed some light on this ?

thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Teaching, Law, Academia, Media, Politics, Journalism, Tourism etc
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I agree that it does give you soft skills that employers see as well as key analytical skills.

I think that it's very important that alongside getting these skills through your degree, you should get relevant work experience in the field that you want to do...

Without that you'll find it hard to get onto the work ladder...

Hope that helps! Even doing science or maths, without work experience students will find it hard to get work... Tell him that!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.