Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is there a limit to how many countries you can be a citizen of?

Announcements Posted on
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    i was wondering, at the moment im a dual national and hold british and new zealand citizenship and i was wondering if there was a limit to how many countries you could gain citizenship from? for instance if i were to live in australia for x number of years i could gain citizenship there, then say move to france or work for the legion i could gain french citizenship after 3 years etc etc so is there a limit to when countries will say enough or can one theoretically be a national of tens of nations if they feel the need?
    sorry if it seems a strange/ignorant question im just curious
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some countries such as Japan and China have rules where you lose your citizenship there if you choose to take up another elsewhere.

So it depends on which countries you'd want to be a citizen of. And it depends on how you have dual citizenship now, as some places have rules about that.

Then I suppose being a British citizen makes you an EU citizen too as you have largely the same rights across the EU as a local. And maybe Commonwealth citizenship too:confused:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    strange question indeed and one i like to hear the answer for
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    Some countries such as Japan and China have rules where you lose your citizenship there if you choose to take up another elsewhere.

So it depends on which countries you'd want to be a citizen of. And it depends on how you have dual citizenship now, as some places have rules about that.

Then I suppose being a British citizen makes you an EU citizen too as you have largely the same rights across the EU as a local. And maybe Commonwealth citizenship too:confused:
    aye i've heard America does that aswell and makes you renounce youre citizenship to any other countries before you take up theres, but this could be wrong?

I have British citizenship through birth and New Zealand citizenship through decent if that makes any difference?

ah thats interesting so being an EU citizen already does that mean you cant become a citizen of another EU country or have i read what you said wrong ?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    aye i've heard America does that aswell and makes you renounce youre citizenship to any other countries before you take up theres, but this could be wrong?

I have British citizenship through birth and New Zealand citizenship through decent if that makes any difference?

ah thats interesting so being an EU citizen already does that mean you cant become a citizen of another EU country or have i read what you said wrong ?
    The middle paragraph has an effect on whether or not some places will allow you to keep your citizenship should you gain another.

You can become a citizen elsewhere in the EU. It just might not be worth it since there aren't any major benefits as we can vote and all that stuff in EU nations. You wouldn't even get a good passport, they're all the same colour as ours. I suppose if you didn't want to be seen as British when you're abroad for whatever reasons, then it might be worth it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ?
    This is not necessarily correct. A friend of mine had the American, Canadian and Nigerian citizenship and he only had to "get rid of" the other two once he joinded the Navy.

But immigration/citizenship regulation are generally a pain in the butt! Each country has its own regulations and while it might be ok to have an American and German citizenship in the US, Germany does not approve of that and makes you decide once you're 18. They said it had something to do with joining the military... But I don't know if that's true anymore, as male Germans are no longer required to do (military) service.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    i was wondering, at the moment im a dual national and hold british and new zealand citizenship and i was wondering if there was a limit to how many countries you could gain citizenship from? for instance if i were to live in australia for x number of years i could gain citizenship there, then say move to france or work for the legion i could gain french citizenship after 3 years etc etc so is there a limit to when countries will say enough or can one theoretically be a national of tens of nations if they feel the need?
    sorry if it seems a strange/ignorant question im just curious
    If you're a dual national with the United Kingdom, you are not protected by Her Majesty's authorities in the other country. e.g. If something happened in New Zealand and you need British support (court issues/public service etc) you would not get. However if you were JUST British, then the embassy would get involved.

The bit at the beginning of your British passport does not apply to dual nations: 'Her Britannic Majesty's secretary of state requests and requires in the name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessay'
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe if you already have american citizenship, you can get other citizenships, but if you are trying to become an american citizen through residency or whatever, you are indeed forced to renounce other citizenships.

I know someone with american, canadian, british and a caribbean island citizenship, all through birth/early life residency. VERY useful, especially the US-EU combination.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I believe if you already have american citizenship, you can get other citizenships, but if you are trying to become an american citizen through residency or whatever, you are indeed forced to renounce other citizenships.

I know someone with american, canadian, british and a caribbean island citizenship, all through birth/early life residency. VERY useful, especially the US-EU combination.
    The problem with American citizenship being that you have to pay taxes to Washington even when living outside of the USA.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've read about this renouncing citizenship thing with the US because I was reading about whether it's possible to emigrate there.

You do have to swear an oath when taking up US citizenship, pretty much renouncing ties to any other country. However in the eyes of the the UK Home Office swearing an oath isn't grounds for you to lose your British citizenship.

So really your just saying it to get your US citizenship. The Queen's not ar*** if you're a citizen of another country too. So you say one thing to please the US but just still keep your British citizenship, thus resulting in dual citizenship.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 24, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.