The Student Room Group

French AS Oral Presentation

Can anyone help me? I have been recommended by my French Teacher that I re-write my presentation, as in th Mocks I did HIV in France and it was way too complicated to do succesfully... Her suggestion was smoking in France but there seems to be very little of interest that I can say and I am worried it may seem a bit easy.. I really need an A in this!!! Any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
kathryn
Can anyone help me? I have been recommended by my French Teacher that I re-write my presentation, as in th Mocks I did HIV in France and it was way too complicated to do succesfully... Her suggestion was smoking in France but there seems to be very little of interest that I can say and I am worried it may seem a bit easy.. I really need an A in this!!! Any ideas?

I don't think you should be worried about it being seen as 'easy'. I'm going to be doing my Uni finals orals in April, and I'm really, really hoping that the text they'll be based on won't be too hard, not because I want an easy route to good marks (although that would be nice) but because I know I'll be able to perform better if I can actually get involved in the topic - it's a lot easier to show what you can do linguistically like that.

Doing the smoking topic well is better than doing the HIV one badly.

How long do you have to talk for? You could talk about how attitudes towards it there are completely different to over here - there's no stigma attached, all bars and restaurants seem to allow it, teenagers do it a lot more openly infront of parents/teachers than in Britain, without being seen as trying to rebel. You could talk about the differences in the messages on cigarette packets, where we just have "Smoking kills" in Britain (I think they have one about how it damages your looks or something like that). You could talk about whether you think French peoples' attitudes will move closer to British peoples' in the future, and why they currently are so different.

Um, I've kind of run out of ideas. But all that could be expanded on quite a lot anyway, and like I said, the key thing is to use good French, whatever you're talking about.
Reply 2
thnx =)
Reply 3
Good luck with the final orals in April, eleri. How come the exams are so early? Are they all that early at University?
Reply 4
Trundle
Good luck with the final orals in April, eleri. How come the exams are so early? Are they all that early at University?

Thanks. Orals are done a month or so before the written exams; I don't really know why, but it'll actually be quite nice to get them out of the way so i can focus the things I can actually revise for.
One of the people in my French class did smoking in France last year and she got an A. I would suggest www.ipsos.fr, www.ifop.fr and www.insee.fr (these are from memory so I hope they're right) which give you various surveys of French people on loads of different topics. It might give you a starting point. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 6
thank you loads... will check them out =)
Reply 8
thanks thats really helpful!!!!!!!
u live near worcs? small world! =)
kathryn
thanks thats really helpful!!!!!!!
u live near worcs? small world! =)

that's ok. I did French people's holiday habits (bit random I know!) and it was a topic that could have easily become quite general (i.e. not specifically about France) but if you drop in somewhere in your exam 'I looked at surveys on ifop' or something then they know you've done your research. That's what my teacher suggested anyway!
Reply 10
how do u drop that in randomly? sounds like a great idea tho...
Well my teacher might have asked something like 'what makes the holidays of the French so unique?'
And then I could have said something like 'Selon Ifop, un site Web des enquetes que.....'
Or 'j'ai lu un article qui a dit que...'
Reply 12
thanks you are such a life saver!!! i thought it was gonna be such a hassle to write this (extra work... so much fun!.. lol) but it turned out not to be too bad... just hope for me that it gets me the grade I want!!
It seems like a lot of work when you first think about it (I was going to retake my Spanish on a new topic) but if you are confident in the language and know a few facts and the general points you want to make in each section then your teacher will ask questions that prompt you. And it's not really that long, having done your mock I guess you found that it went quite quickly! (Or perhaps that was just me...)
Reply 14
well the fact that a. i hadnt prepared properly b. i was having a **** day and c. i had kindof a hangover really meant that it was the 20mins from hell... gonna make sure its not like that in the real thing.. .=)
kathryn
well the fact that a. i hadnt prepared properly b. i was having a **** day and c. i had kindof a hangover really meant that it was the 20mins from hell... gonna make sure its not like that in the real thing.. .=)

I felt really ill on the day of my GCSE mock and started crying! My teacher let me off and I didn't have to do the exam... I hate oral exams, although they are getting better. Slowly!
Reply 16
thanks... that thought might just motivate me to keep going... i think mine was just an exception for me... like a particularly bad experience due to extenuating circumstances... at least I hope so!!! =) im sure itll turn out ok in the end tho...
I think one of the most important things to remember is to be confident in the language because if you're not then there is the tendancy to focus too much on the content and to prelearn it just because you can. Whereas if you are confident and know what you're talking about then it is more enjoyable because you can have a natural conversation. That's me comparing my crappy Spanish exam to my French exam!
Reply 18
well im not too stressed... as long as i am relaxed i am fairly ok in french... just got to remember to sleep early the night before, and not to go out drinking.. should be fine. thanks for all the help tho!!
Reply 19
This might sound a bit strange, but one tactic I've developed in oral practices is to spend some time reading aloud in French before the oral. It can be anything, it really doesn't matter, but it's incredibly helpful for being about to get your tongue around the words and being able to sound fluent in the real thing; despite all the time I've spent studying French, the first few sentences that I speak in it are a lot more stuttery than they should be, if it's been a couple of days.

Latest

Trending

Trending