Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Time for England to cut Wales and Scotland off for good

Announcements Posted on
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra's Box)
    The Welsh language is not particularly helpful regarding learning other languages... their word for 'microwave' is 'popty-ping' or 'popty-microden'

A little different from Spanish, no?
    Popty microden?

It's actually just a meicrodon, (popty ping is what five year olds use, and it's sometimes used as a kind of "kiddy" word like horsey for horse etc), which is the Welsh word for micro and wave.

And as for not helping to learn other languages, I picked up French and Spanish quickly because I have been fluent in Welsh since I was three.

Look at some of the words -

Spanish - Pascua
    French - Paques
    Welsh - Pasg
    English - Easter

Spanish - Martes
    French - Mardi
    Welsh - Mawrth
    English - Tuesday

Welsh is a hell of a lot more helpful than English!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaiser MacCleg)
    Welsh is as helpful as any language for learning others; the minds of bi- and multilingual people are wired differently to those of monoglots, which makes acquiring new languages an easier process. If you're looking for physical similarity between vocabularies, then Welsh is as useful as any other European language. A large number of Latin words have been incorporated into the language since the time of the Romans - ffenestr (window. Latin: fenestram. French: fenêtre), pont (bridge. Latin: pontem. French: pont) and pysgod (fish. Latin: piscis. Spanish: pescado) are all examples. For learning other Celtic languages, Welsh is an indispensable tool. Much of Cornish is mutually intelligible, while I can pick out certain words and phrases in Breton and Scottish Gaelic and the occasional similarity with Irish. Up in Snowdonia there's a Mynydd Mawr. Over in Scotland they've got a Monadh Mór. In Welsh a black and white picture is in gwyn a du, while Britanny's flag is colloquially named the Gwenn ha Du. We call Cornwall Cernyw. The Cornish call it Kernow.

Popty Ping is just slang btw (a fantastic term though).
    OK :thumbsup:

I love how damn patriotic you are!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    Popty microden?

It's actually just a meicrodon, (popty ping is what five year olds use, and it's sometimes used as a kind of "kiddy" word like horsey for horse etc), which is the Welsh word for micro and wave.

And as for not helping to learn other languages, I picked up French and Spanish quickly because I have been fluent in Welsh since I was three.

Spanish - Pascua
    French - Paques
    Welsh - Pasg
    English - Easter

Spanish - Martes
    French - Mardi
    Welsh - Mawrth
    English - Tuesday

English does seem pretty isolated... though French for 'birthday' is 'anniversaire' while Welsh is 'penblwydd' (or so the Web says)

Any language is useful for others. Like the my above post... Your patriotism is wonderful!
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    English does seem pretty isolated... though French for 'birthday' is 'anniversaire' while Welsh is 'penblwydd' (or so the Web says)

Any language is useful for others. Like the my above post... Your patriotism is wonderful!
    Yeah, there are some Welsh words even I don't quite get... penblwydd is birthday but literally it means "end of the year", or also "head year" very literally so

Another one is ansbaradigeuthis. Apparently, it is a Welsh word, but I don't think anyone knows how it is properly spelled or what it means! A quick google search shows people using it as a way to describe something good, but I thought it meant something bad :lol:

I'm really proud to call myself Welsh, I don't hate the English (most of my family is English) but I just hate it when they think our language is useless when really it has proved very useful in helping me learn French and Spanish, whereas with just English I think I would have been stuck, and also no language is useless - if people want to learn it and speak it, I think they should go ahead
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Scotland gives 1.3bn more to the economy than it spends.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peanutaims)
    As far as I am concerned, the Welsh and Scottish are TWICE as hardworking as you limeys.
    Isn't limeys a term for all British people? Well it has it's origins from the British navy anyway, so that's certainly what it originally meant.

(Original post by daisydaffodil)
    Wales, Ireland and Scotland have far, far better landscapes than England. England's a concrete jungle of motorways and towerblocks.. When we get independence I do hope they start reducing the numbers of English students here - most only come up for cheap tuition fees, blocking places that Scots are entitled to.
    If Scotland becomes independent and remains in the EU, you may end up with more English students. Scotland would have to charge English students the same as Scottish students, so you either have to let English students in for free, or start charging Scottish students.

Popty microden?

Spanish - Pascua
    French - Paques
    Welsh - Pasg
    English - Easter

Spanish - Martes
    French - Mardi
    Welsh - Mawrth
    English - Tuesday

I'd guess those similarities are down to the latin influence on Welsh. But to be honest, I'm sure you could find just as many, if not more words that are similar between English and French, since English has had significant French influence.

Also English would be more useful for learning languages like German and Dutch.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    Someone's having sour grapes over our Grand Slam win! Oooooooosh!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some of the responses in this thread are so immature, Scottish and Welsh posters included. Honestly, you can defend your countries without sinking the level of the OP (i.e. insulting England in the same way as this thread is insulting Wales/Scotland).
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    :wavey:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also, what about Northern Ireland OP? I assume you aren't bothered about them?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:

Never insult Wales to a Welsh person!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeyyImRyan)
    Scotland can have their independence in my opinion. On the proviso that they end the West Lothian Question by removing all their MP's from Westminster and become a unitary state with their Scottish Parliament.

No one can argue that Scotland would most definitely have to change as a result - no longer could they provide free university fees, if they decided to take up the Euro they'd be tied up with billions of debt in commercial banks and what of their armed forces?
    I say give them a referendum, if they all vote 'Yes' to independence then they've made their bed.

Edit: I don't agree with the OP on 'getting rid of' them, but if they want to go then really we should let them.
    I wouldn't really claim that education would suddenly become more expensive in Scotland. They could always do what the Irish and Maltese did and stipulate entry requirements in a way which would bar most foreigners from entering their university system.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I'd guess those similarities are down to the latin influence on Welsh. But to be honest, I'm sure you could find just as many, if not more words that are similar between English and French, since English has had significant French influence.

Also English would be more useful for learning languages like German and Dutch.
    Fair enough, but personally I found Welsh helped a lot more (I think it's an individual thing really - some people find having Welsh helps, others find English helps more) - and I think they did a study a while ago which showed that children who learn another language from a younger age find it easier to pick up more and more languages. In Wales (at least up here in the north) every child who goes through the Welsh schooling system from the start or from fairly early on grows up bilingual, which is never a bad thing!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, but personally I found Welsh helped a lot more (I think it's an individual thing really - some people find having Welsh helps, others find English helps more) - and I think they did a study a while ago which showed that children who learn another language from a younger age find it easier to pick up more and more languages. In Wales (at least up here in the north) every child who goes through the Welsh schooling system from the start or from fairly early on grows up bilingual, which is never a bad thing!
    I can tell you, unfortunately that doesn't happen in the South. Although it should do.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

English isn't isolated - it's just part of a different group of languages. Spanish, French and Italian are all examples of Romance languages; languages that remain heavily influenced by Latin. By contrast, English belongs to the Germanic group of languages, and I'm sure that you yourself could pick up on similarities between it, Dutch, German and the like. Welsh belongs to its own family of languages, but the influence of Latin remains strong, hence the odd word which would sound right at home in the Med.

The only example of a true language isolate in Europe (that I can think of anyway), is Basque, which is pretty much unrelated to any other language anywhere in the world. Still useful though, of course.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine that just the fact that you know two languages makes it easier to learn more. I find it hard to imagine being able to think in more than one language, so learning more languages probably comes more naturally if you grew up with multiple languages in the first place.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're an angry little man aren't you?

If we get independence can we send back all the English people who've come to our countries and made no effort to integrate and insist we change our way of life for them? We certainly don't want them anymore, I think they'd fit in a bit better with you lot.

You guys wanted to take over - we fought for our independence (for much longer than you did *cough* Romans! *cough*) but the English took over, they've made their bed and now they get to lie in it and as for speaking funny, at least our kids are smart enough to be able to speak two languages, which then makes it a lot easier for them to learn other languages. Most English kids I've met these days can barely speak English.

Soz for short post, off to get my free prescription
    Orite Butt, wha's occurin? Your a proper ledge for that post met.

(Original post by Psyk)
    Do you realise Wales was part of roman Britain too? That was before the English arrived on the scene anyway. England didn't exist until after the Romans had left and the Anglo Saxons came and conquered most of the natives land (who they called "wellas"-welsh). But to be fair Wales did hold out from being conquered by the Normans for a little longer.

Not that I agree with the op. If Wales and Scotland are a drain, then why stop there? Why not get rid of north England too? Then maybe the south west? Countries and states will always have areas that require more spending than others. Cutting those bits off is not a good strategy.

Years longer.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You guys wanted to take over - we fought for our independence (for much longer than you did *cough* Romans! *cough*)
    Excuse me, what? The native British (aka the Welsh) were the ones who fought against the Romans. The English did not even exist yet!
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:

My teacher told me he got a job as a holiday rep for the exact point Madders state, he could easily pick up Spanish. Wales is tenfold a prouder nation than England.

Yes it does. I live in Caerphilly, I'll use a sample of three schools - Cwm Rhymni, Gwynlliw, Maes yr Yrfa - We're all bilingual

(Original post by Gales)
    I can tell you, unfortunately that doesn't happen in the South. Although it should do.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calanon)
    Excuse me, what? The native British (aka the Welsh) were the ones who fought against the Romans. The English did not even exist yet!
    England and Wales were all in colonies. Ours held them off alot longer than yours.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 20, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.