The Student Room Group

What to choose? - AQA LITB4 Coursework Texts

Hi all,

I am a private candidate currently working on my AQA LITB4 compare and contrast coursework, and I'm having a dilemma about which two novels to choose. I have about five combinations I am considering, and would love some input from anyone!

EDIT: First three seem most probable.

Catch 22 v. Birdsong - approach on war/romantic vs. antiromantic [contrast-heavy title]

I haven't read Birdsong by Faulks yet so I can't be sure how much I can talk about between the two. But the synopsis sounds promising as Catch-22 is satirical while Birdsong is rather grim.

Catch 22 v. Lord of the Flies - illusion of the need for war [compare-heavy title]

Lord of the Flies v. The Mysterious Island - Robinsonade/Human Nature [contrast-heavy title]

Catcher in the Rye v. Trainspotting - Unreliable Narrator/Questioning Societal Conventions

Catch 22 v. The Trial (Kafka) - on Absurdism & questioning institutions

The Great Gatsby v. Brideshead Revisited
I've noticed that the novels seem really similar, but I have no idea what main thing to write on.

Steppenwolf v. Call of the Wild - Misanthropy

Which would allow me to hit the most AO's, do you think?

Thanks!

(rather urgent...)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by partickler
Hi all,

I am a private candidate currently working on my AQA LITB4 compare and contrast coursework, and I'm having a dilemma about which two novels to choose. I have about five combinations I am considering, and would love some input from anyone!

EDIT: First three seem most probable.

Catch 22 v. Birdsong - approach on war/romantic vs. antiromantic

I haven't read Birdsong by Faulks yet so I can't be sure how much I can talk about between the two. But the synopsis sounds promising as Catch-22 is satirical while Birdsong is rather grim.

Catcher in the Rye v. Trainspotting - Unreliable Narrator/Questioning Societal Conventions

Lord of the Flies v. The Mysterious Island - Robinsonade/Human Nature

Catch 22 v. The Trial (Kafka) - on Absurdism & questioning institutions

The Great Gatsby v. Brideshead Revisited
I've noticed that the novels seem really similar, but I have no idea what main thing to write on.

Steppenwolf v. Call of the Wild - Misanthropy

Which would allow me to hit the most AO's, do you think?

Thanks!

(rather urgent...)

I think all those suggestions sound good. I think with this coursework, its best to pick two texts that are similar in their themes but different in their context or message or way of telling the story. I personally would go for a theme based essay, for instance - the role of women, the significance of religion etc! And then draw out analysis from there on literary devices - narrative voice etc. Or you could go for something like - the use of unreliable narrators. Depends what is best for you. So I think get a theme in your head then think of two complete different yet similar texts (paradoxical but effective), this will allow you to get a lot of satisfaction out of the essay. for instance in my essay I used the theme of imprisonment to explore The Color Purple with The Yellow Wallpaper. Obv those two texts from complete differing contexts, yet they are similar in their message. hope that helps.
Reply 2
Original post by coodooloo
I think all those suggestions sound good. I think with this coursework, its best to pick two texts that are similar in their themes but different in their context or message or way of telling the story. I personally would go for a theme based essay, for instance - the role of women, the significance of religion etc! And then draw out analysis from there on literary devices - narrative voice etc. Or you could go for something like - the use of unreliable narrators. Depends what is best for you. So I think get a theme in your head then think of two complete different yet similar texts (paradoxical but effective), this will allow you to get a lot of satisfaction out of the essay. for instance in my essay I used the theme of imprisonment to explore The Color Purple with The Yellow Wallpaper. Obv those two texts from complete differing contexts, yet they are similar in their message. hope that helps.

Hmm, that's an AMAZING suggestion. Sure does free up lots of things to talk about if I go for a theme! The most 'theme-like' comparisons I've chosen seem to be either Catch-22 v. The Trial / Steppenwolf v. Call of the Wild. The second pairing is the most different, but with the same theme.

The clearest idea in my head at the moment is probably the easiest one, Lord of the Flies v. The Mysterious Island.

Which would you pick? Did you also do this unit? :smile:
Reply 3
Hmm, that's an AMAZING suggestion. Sure does free up lots of things to talk about if I go for a theme! The most 'theme-like' comparisons I've chosen seem to be either Catch-22 v. The Trial / Steppenwolf v. Call of the Wild. The second pairing is the most different, but with the same theme.

The clearest idea in my head at the moment is probably the easiest one, Lord of the Flies v. The Mysterious Island.

Which would you pick? Did you also do this unit? :smile:

I'm not sure which one I would pick, because I haven't read any of the texts you've mentioned, except Gatsby (which I love). Ask your teacher which one would be best. You could do an essay plan for each of them and then compare which one would be best. Whatever you choose, its the quality of your writing that will get you the grades. good luck.
And yeah I did do the unit.
Reply 4
I'm not sure which one I would pick, because I haven't read any of the texts you've mentioned, except Gatsby (which I love). Ask your teacher which one would be best. You could do an essay plan for each of them and then compare which one would be best. Whatever you choose, its the quality of your writing that will get you the grades. good luck.
And yeah I did do the unit.

I'm actually doing A-Levels on my own at the moment, so I don't have a tutor/teacher to ask :P. But perhaps an essay plan is the best way to know.

LITB4 is all about the AO's, right? In comparison to LITB2, which required me to really stick with the tragedy genre, and discuss only that.
Reply 5
I'm actually doing A-Levels on my own at the moment, so I don't have a tutor/teacher to ask :P. But perhaps an essay plan is the best way to know.

LITB4 is all about the AO's, right? In comparison to LITB2, which required me to really stick with the tragedy genre, and discuss only that.

You're teaching yourself-, how come? that must be challenging.
Have you done the AS aspects already?

Basically the tragedy coursework is assessed exactly like the A2- comparative coursework. The only difference is the focus - whilst on the tragedy coursework its all about genre and plays, the comparative one is about comparing two pieces.
The assessment objectives remain the same:
Ao1- focus on task, vocab etc.
Ao2- form, structure, language
Ao3- different interpretations AND literary connections
Ao4- context of production and context of reception.
Reply 6
You're teaching yourself-, how come? that must be challenging.
Have you done the AS aspects already?

Basically the tragedy coursework is assessed exactly like the A2- comparative coursework. The only difference is the focus - whilst on the tragedy coursework its all about genre and plays, the comparative one is about comparing two pieces.
The assessment objectives remain the same:
Ao1- focus on task, vocab etc.
Ao2- form, structure, language
Ao3- different interpretations AND literary connections
Ao4- context of production and context of reception.

I didn't want to attend a full 1-year+ course thing, hence I opted to study on my own :smile:. Distance learning was pretty pricey (I'm doing DL for History), and literature teachers in Malaysia are very hard to find, so here I am :biggrin:.

I did quite well for my Aspects of Narrative paper, but received a rather shocking mark for my Tragedy coursework :frown:. 52/80 UMS - C. Still managed to get an A overall, but I thought I wrote better-than-C coursework, so I'm filled with all sorts of paranoia for A2!

Thanks for the clarification in regards to marking requirements! :smile: That's a succinct explanation.

I just thought of doing a Catch-22 v. Lord of the Flies comparison, on the illusion of the need for war. What do you think?

(PS: Thank you so much for your continual correspondence. Much appreciated!)
Reply 7
I didn't want to attend a full 1-year+ course thing, hence I opted to study on my own :smile:. Distance learning was pretty pricey (I'm doing DL for History), and literature teachers in Malaysia are very hard to find, so here I am :biggrin:.

I did quite well for my Aspects of Narrative paper, but received a rather shocking mark for my Tragedy coursework :frown:. 52/80 UMS - C. Still managed to get an A overall, but I thought I wrote better-than-C coursework, so I'm filled with all sorts of paranoia for A2!

Thanks for the clarification in regards to marking requirements! :smile: That's a succinct explanation.

I just thought of doing a Catch-22 v. Lord of the Flies comparison, on the illusion of the need for war. What do you think?

(PS: Thank you so much for your continual correspondence. Much appreciated!)

I think that sounds good, I haven't read the two novels though. Perhaps, you may need to define your main theme a little more - what do you mean by illusion of the need for war? Is it the human desire for war, (greed and power)? or the political demand for war?
Reply 8
I think that sounds good, I haven't read the two novels though. Perhaps, you may need to define your main theme a little more - what do you mean by illusion of the need for war? Is it the human desire for war, (greed and power)? or the political demand for war?

I suppose the human desire for war, or perhaps the absurdity of war when viewed from a very 'common sense' perspective. Catch-22 is very satirical about war and belittles battles, whereas Lord of the Flies is about how a group of kids on a stranded island who could have lived peacefully but decided to wage war anyway... Though now that I think about it, I should re-read the book to make sure.

My other option is Catch-22 v. Birdsong now, I guess. Structurally, language-wise, and its treatment of war and human relationships are completely different. Would be interesting to talk about.
Reply 9
I suppose the human desire for war, or perhaps the absurdity of war when viewed from a very 'common sense' perspective. Catch-22 is very satirical about war and belittles battles, whereas Lord of the Flies is about how a group of kids on a stranded island who could have lived peacefully but decided to wage war anyway... Though now that I think about it, I should re-read the book to make sure.

My other option is Catch-22 v. Birdsong now, I guess. Structurally, language-wise, and its treatment of war and human relationships are completely different. Would be interesting to talk about.

Try out different plans, re-read the books to understand how the themes fit in.

I like the idea of how humans relate to war - that may be quite an interesting theme.
Reply 10
Try out different plans, re-read the books to understand how the themes fit in.

I like the idea of how humans relate to war - that may be quite an interesting theme.

How humans relate to war :redface:... Hmm...

I would give you lots of reps but I'm told I should rate another member before I rate you again. XD

Thanks loads, coodooloo :smile:. A great help, you have been! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Another question - will I be penalized for not quoting/referring to a large set of books, and for not having a long bibliography? I have trouble locating resources where I live...
Reply 12
Another question - will I be penalized for not quoting/referring to a large set of books, and for not having a long bibliography? I have trouble locating resources where I live...

Not at all! Firstly, you will not be penalised for anything because AQA don't negatively mark - they will give you marks for what you do right. It's not essential to reference a wide range of books and I personally would not do it because it could cease from your main argument - just stick to your two books, and make continual reference to both comparatively. In my essay, the only other book I referenced was Jane Eyre and it was like a short sentence. But then again you can refer to secondary sources - that relate to the authors' background and context.
Reply 13
Not at all! Firstly, you will not be penalised for anything because AQA don't negatively mark - they will give you marks for what you do right. It's not essential to reference a wide range of books and I personally would not do it because it could cease from your main argument - just stick to your two books, and make continual reference to both comparatively. In my essay, the only other book I referenced was Jane Eyre and it was like a short sentence. But then again you can refer to secondary sources - that relate to the authors' background and context.

You are absolutely lovely.
Reply 14
You are absolutely lovely.

No worries - I'm glad that I have helped.

So in relation to the Warwick offer, are you going to firm it, or will you wait on any other unis?
Reply 15
No worries - I'm glad that I have helped.

So in relation to the Warwick offer, are you going to firm it, or will you wait on any other unis?

I've firmed it, actually :smile:. Just two days ago, I think. Warwick was the last uni to reply me. I've insured Sussex, who was so kind to offer me AB!
Reply 16
I've firmed it, actually :smile:. Just two days ago, I think. Warwick was the last uni to reply me. I've insured Sussex, who was so kind to offer me AB!

That's great. What made you want to go for Warwick? (in a curious way)
Reply 17
That's great. What made you want to go for Warwick? (in a curious way)

Originally, it was because of the really 'easygoing' manner they portrayed on their website. Was an Oxford applicant (reject) and the whole prestige and tradition sell was chaffing a little and Warwick just seemed refreshing :smile:. Fell in love with the idea that they had a WRITING ROOM :cool:.

Then when it came to picking my 5 universities, I had to choose a range to make sure I get *some* offers, so Warwick and Oxford were my risky choices, then Glasgow, Sussex and UEA. Chose Warwick to fill in the risky choice slot because York seemed a little stuffy (vague vibe) and Durham's Durham. And UCL was a nightmare I wasn't willing to chance.

And lastly, I love the course itself :smile:.

You? :rolleyes:
Reply 18
Originally, it was because of the really 'easygoing' manner they portrayed on their website. Was an Oxford applicant (reject) and the whole prestige and tradition sell was chaffing a little and Warwick just seemed refreshing :smile:. Fell in love with the idea that they had a WRITING ROOM :cool:.

Then when it came to picking my 5 universities, I had to choose a range to make sure I get *some* offers, so Warwick and Oxford were my risky choices, then Glasgow, Sussex and UEA. Chose Warwick to fill in the risky choice slot because York seemed a little stuffy (vague vibe) and Durham's Durham. And UCL was a nightmare I wasn't willing to chance.

And lastly, I love the course itself :smile:.

You? :rolleyes:

Great.

Just before a few days ago, I felt as though I'd 'firm' Warwick too, but then I received an offer from UCL, which seems to me too good to refuse.
Good luck with all your work though and warwick. :smile:
Reply 19
Great.

Just before a few days ago, I felt as though I'd 'firm' Warwick too, but then I received an offer from UCL, which seems to me too good to refuse.
Good luck with all your work though and warwick. :smile:

Congratulations!

That's notoriously difficult. Have fun!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending