The Student Room Group

Is Obama The Greatest US President Of All Time??

Scroll to see replies

I think the biggest difference between Obama and Bush is that the media loves Obama and hated Bush. The media is very powerful and that accounts for the different opinions of the two men even they are far more alike than different in terms of policy.
Reply 61
NO
Original post by Ferdowsi
The Americans love the Muslim Brotherhood, the MB and the Salafis are the puppets of the Saudis. Saudis used the Muslim Brotherhood to destroy Nasserism - it was actually the Saudis who brought the leaders of the Brotherhood back to Egypt in the 70s. It's funny when western commentators who haven't got a clue were saying that the brotherhood and salafis winning big was bad for the west, no way is that true. A MB and Salafi government plays right into the Saudis (and hence American - Israeli's) hands, especially with the military still holding power in Egypt. America and so on love Islamists, because they pose a very little threat and are always backwards bearded idiots who ruin and weaken countries and are the biggest sell outs in human history.

You may be right about the Salafis, but I disagree on the MB. In trying to grow they've blown a lot of that - they've become more bureaucratic, and incorporated too many people who don't so much disagree with Islamism as much as they just don't have the stomach to fully carry it out.

It's also worth noting that a lot of Islamists find Saudi Arabia an embarrassment, because they collaborate with the US.
He is not the greatest, but certainly not the worst!
It's rather disturbing that 14% of voters think he is the greatest US President of all time.
Reply 65
If he manages to fend off the intense Israeli pressure and avoid conflict with Iran and manages to get another term without giving in to Jewish lobbies, then he may well become one of the best US presidents.

But he's got a long, long way to go yet and I don't think his first term been that convincing...
As a 23-year-old American without health insurance (been denied many times) and STILL waiting to see results on a healthcare scheme....

Nope.
Reply 67
Original post by geetar
No, I think Lincoln and FDR might have something to say about that.

Most overhyped president, maybe.

Most black, maybe?
Original post by anarchism101
I'm mostly in agreement with you on everything else on Obama, but Obama is not a fan of the Muslim Brotherhood - he backs the SCAF, Mubarak's thug squads who are now in power and who are generally pretty secularist.

So why did Obama and Hillary bypass congress to send the muslim brotherhood 1.5 billion dollars?

This is fantastic
Original post by Made in the USA
So why did Obama and Hillary bypass congress to send the muslim brotherhood 1.5 billion dollars?

To clear up the revolutionaries in Tahrir, the unions, etc. The MB can be nudged to one side and marginalised when it's all over. But they're not authoritarian enough for the Americans' liking to rule long-term.
Reply 71
Rainbow-Puke.jpg

That is my face when I read this thread. At first I was really expecting a bunch of obama nut huggers, but the fact of the matter is this post has single handedly restored my faith in the TSR community. The fact that you realize he has done barely anything to be warranted with any shred of difference from any other president is astounding.

I hate the fact when people bring up his race, that should have no factor when it comes to a mans ability to lead a nation. Whether he be black, white, orange, green or blue it doesn't matter what color the man is it matters what morals he stands by and how he leads the country.

He did absolutely nothing to earn the nobel peace prize, at all. I am starting to bang my head against a desk when the committee releases their statement on who has won it each year. First gore and now obama? Really? The man wasn't even in office when the deadline for submission was up. If anything their awarding him it is more racist than anything else. "We're giving you a peace prize because you are the first black president" If I were living in the UK I would be damn pissed if my country's first black PM didn't get one as well.

He has pretty much failed in every aspect of being the POTUS, he has raised spending to an all time high and while eloquent the man giving speeches does NOT make him a good leader.

LINCOLN was a GREAT president. EISENHOWER was a great president. REAGAN was a great president. Obama has no reason to even be mentioned in the same sentence as those men unless someone is simply reciting the names of the presidents start to finish.
Reply 72
What about Roosevelt? Nixon? Jefferson? Lincoln? Eisenhower??? Reagan!?!?

Mad.
Reply 73
Original post by cgraham15
:colone:

Okay, Abraham Lincoln because:

Emancipation Proclamation (although, it is debateable how much he contributed to it); his dedication to the continuation of the Civil Way, thus ensuring Southern defeat and the preservation of the Union (and the abolition of slavery). Due to this, without him the United States may not have existed today as we know it.

You forget that Lincoln's first and only reason for continuing the civil war was to restore the union. He himself said that if he could restore the union without abolishing slavery he would do it. He was and IS the greatest president of all time. The man truly had the nations best interests in mind and would do anything and everything to keep his nation a unified country. He died trying to pursue that dream.
Reply 74
Original post by Texan88
The fact that you realize he has done barely anything to be warranted with any shred of difference from any other president is astounding.

Rubbish - I don't doubt that you can't mention anything he's done, but he's done plenty.
Reply 75
Original post by Guerlain
Rubbish - I don't doubt that you can't mention anything he's done, but he's done plenty.

You misread my quote, I am not saying that he has done nothing, I am saying that he has done nothing to stand out from any of the other mediocre presidents the US has had.
Reply 76
No; pretty terrible in fact.
Reply 77
Original post by Texan88
You misread my quote, I am not saying that he has done nothing, I am saying that he has done nothing to stand out from any of the other mediocre presidents the US has had.

I certainly wouldn't say Obama is mediocre. I think he's an excellent president.

Congress is the problem.

Besides, given the climate you could never expect massive wide-sweeping changes. I'd say that given the state of the country he inherited he's actually made some very bold and progressive policies.
A president is nothing more than a figure head and orator for his party, and he sure is a great orator. I have difficulty believing any other democrat leader would be drastically different in terms of policies to be honest, the candidate races are just to turn elections into entertainment.

I don't see how there can be a 'best ever' president though - so much is due to the political environment at the time of their standing (good economic climate = an easier ride but maybe less of a chance to look like a hero, a war = an easy chance to criticise or laud a president) and there is so much bias in looking at past presidents.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Guerlain
I certainly wouldn't say Obama is mediocre. I think he's an excellent president.

Congress is the problem.

Besides, given the climate you could never expect massive wide-sweeping changes. I'd say that given the state of the country he inherited he's actually made some very bold and progressive policies.

A good president would be able to put forth ideas that were made in such a way that both sides agreed. Or was able to make both sides agree on the same problem. He is FAR from an excellent president. Hell the Secretary of Energy is a moron that wants to raise our petrol prices to that of the EU for the hell of it. Not even joking. The guy wants to tax our petrol MORE because the government would make more money on it. It's freaking ridiculous. The entire obama cabinet is a bunch of ****ups that couldnt find their ass with both hands. When you actually have to live in the country and see exactly what he is doing and how much he is damning us in the future it makes you shudder.

Name 5 things he has "accomplished"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending