Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My hair is dead!

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wash my hair every night with shampoo and conditioner. But I also curl my hair every morning at 230 degrees. Recently Ive noticed my hair is really brittle and strawlike and it doesn't look healthy. My hairdresser said its fine but I dont think it is considering I had my hair cut a month ago and it now looks eugh. I really need some advice on what I can do with my hair but I can't leave it natural with straightening it because it frizzes up because of the damage. I'm really confused! Help needed muchly! Tar!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your hairdresser is more than likely a complete and utter moron. If it's as bad as you claim then it's most certainly not fine at all. Cut down on the curlers. What many people fail to remember is that when you curl or straighten your hair you are essentially manipulating it through burning. If you are doing it every morning then of course it's going to be crappy, cut it down.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I used to straighten my hair every day as well - in the end mine got so bad that I had to have all the dead ends (which was about 3 and a half to 4 inches of my hair) cut off and then it took several months of me not straightening it at all and using an intensive conditioner to get my hair back to the condition it used to be in. If you're not willing to go that far though, definitely cut down on how often you use heat on it it - I have naturally quite wavy hair myself but, could you not just put your hair up as it is instead of curling it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Use a heat-defence spray before you curl it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey my mum used to have this problem she used alma oil its an indian product and her hair is now in a lovely condition twice a week massage it into your hair and leave for an hour then wash out. its not a miricle cure but it will help.. try a deep conditioner aswell! if you tie your hair up use a loose band as if it is too tight it might cause your hair to break hope this helps
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping for a thread about your rampaging killer hair that had finally been defeated - maybe I am watching too many classic B movies and horror movies.

Anyway, stop heating you hair all the time it is not good in the slightest.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    you're washing your hair too much! washing every 3 days is best, 2 if you must, but if you do it every day the chemicals from your shampoo/conditioner will damage the hair and dry it out. also, if you wash it less you won't have to style it as much. using heat every day is really damaging.
    also, i used to have damaged hair, but i started using a protein spray and it's made my hair sooo nice and soft, i'd fully recommend it! i just put it on towel dry hair after it's been shampooed, leave it on for half an hour, then rinse it off and use conditioner. but you can't just use a protein spray and expect healthy hair, you're going to need to cut back on the washing/heat styling too. good luck!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Your hair was dead anyway

Sounds like you need to lay off the heat treatments! Try intensive conditioners and sleep-in treatments. Wrap your hair in a towel if you do these because the extra heat helps.
    Make sure you use heat-protection spray if you must style your hair in future.
    I would also suggest possibly washing your hair less often as it will allow for natural oils.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am dead (or rather, undead) but you don't see me complaining.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabrookes)
    I was hoping for a thread about your rampaging killer hair that had finally been defeated - maybe I am watching too many classic B movies and horror movies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toupee.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	137493
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iBabe)
    I wash my hair every night with shampoo and conditioner. But I also curl my hair every morning at 230 degrees. Recently Ive noticed my hair is really brittle and strawlike and it doesn't look healthy. My hairdresser said its fine but I dont think it is considering I had my hair cut a month ago and it now looks eugh. I really need some advice on what I can do with my hair but I can't leave it natural with straightening it because it frizzes up because of the damage. I'm really confused! Help needed muchly! Tar!
    what shampoo/conditioner do you use ? if its stuff like herbal essences or any of those really nice smelling ones it would be better for your hair if you stopped using them and switched to aussie its more natural and kinder on your hair. get a bottle of conditioner and put it on your hair leave it on for 30 mins or a hour aslong as you can then rinse it out. it will feel much better its only a short term fix but it should improve the feel of your hair

you need to stop curling your hair. one a week minimum is all you should do with protection spray. try and find some hair styling spray or mousse. i know its putting stuff on your hair but it will wash out and it wont damage it like the heat will. and if you get the right type it will control the frizz and be just as good.

maybe take some vitamins supplements just so you are getting everything your body needs and your hair will feel better after a course of them. drink water too ! also cut your hair every 5 or 6 weeks. it will encourage more healthy growth.

not every hairdresser you go to knows their stuff most just think they do in my experience. its hard to find a decent one!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iBabe)
    My hair is dead!
    You're not the only one...

Edit: Damn, someone else got there first.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    oil them atleast twice a week. Shampoos often dry your hair and the only oiling them is the only way to make them better.

Obviously putting egg and yogurt are other traditional techniques but i doubt you wanna try them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's the heat. Stop using heat on your hair, and it will grow out healthier. There's no hope for what is already damaged though- as hair is already dead it can't heal itself.

Things like stretching your washes and using a good shampoo and conditioner are way down the list from this, to be honest. And by good stuff, i don't necessarily mean the most expensive, some of the cheap ones are good because they have a higher proportion of natural ingredients. Some.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, unless you're the Medusa then yes, your hair will be dead.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I've stopped using my straighteneners and curlers and I'm going to book in and have what is dead cut off so I can start again and try and get my hair as good as it used to be Thanks people!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you use any heat-defence products before curling it? Sounds like you should, if not... Also, either give it a total break from being curled for a bit, do it on a lower heat, or use less damaging techniques, such as putting it in rollers, or taking secrions of your hair after it's been blow-dried to about 70% dry, twisting them all the way from the scalp to the ends, pinning them up until your hair's dry, then letting them down and running your fingers through them to loosen the curls a bit. Works a treat and looks really natural - trust me. The tighter you want the curls, the tighter you twist the sections of hair.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I use heat daily. My hair is also in decent conditions - strong with few split or dry ends (I trim it every 3 months or so).

The products which help are John Freida intensive conditioner and Moroccan Oil. Seriously, they have saved my hair.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 30, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered hair care and hairstyles threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.