Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Honor Killings Justified?

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    As a sikh, i find it disgusting that the small minority of the people in the community carry out these crimes. however, if it was in a circumstance where your brother or sister was raped, abused etc then i understand if you beat the person up. You would do the same thing to a peadophile abusing your child. But killing your own family, when their trying to do something like liberating themselves from an abusive relationship is disgusting. Theres more honor it getting a divorce and being free from a abusive relationship than dying from one. Asian families especially those who have been brought up with these types of morals and values are un-educated individuals. Alot have been brainwashed by religion and wider society therefore, don't know the rights and wrongs. Although some people claim to be good sikhs, muslims and hindu's doesn't mean they know 110% about their religious scriptures - unfotunetly these people are the ones who carry out the disgusting acts that label our communities which is a sad fact.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not in this day and age, especially in this country. Victims should come forward so that the perpretrators are locked up and given mental medical help.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Yeah its a fail......read them both, very biased and taking her words out of context a lot.
    It really hurts when you have a newspaper read a few million and which people take as factual info -_-
    Err it's not factual really...just a couple of women talking about their own experiences.

Anyway like I said, it is the Daily Fail Mail, but the woman from the first article has often done a lot of interviews on her experience. She even has a book called dishonoured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0QT2qeczA
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    Err it's not factual really...just a couple of women talking about their own experiences.

Anyway like I said, it is the Daily Fail Mail, but the woman from the first article has often done a lot of interviews on her experience. She even has a book called dishonoured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0QT2qeczA
    Oh no, I mean as some people use the Daily Mail as a good factual source of info.

I read her story, it's more like her Mother was afraid to speak out to a domestic abusing husband....it seems to play a role in her upbringing and the way she see's Islam.
    I'm Bengali myself, I do hear stories, but when I do hear them, it's just so much crap, it's so obviously against their faith, but their stubborn and unwilling to accept it...the older generation hate being told their wrong or being proven especially by someone younger as we are seen as chatting non-sense -_-
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Honour killings wrong yes BUT capital punishment should be brought back.In the UK the killer serves time in a prison cell where he has access to a TV,heating,games consoles,gym,sports and is fed on time every day. YOU call that JUSTICE? the victims family suffers as a result of the killing, the breadwinner is no more and the family is destroyed, the children wondering what happened to their father and they will suffer with this for the rest of their lives. The victim suffers whilst the killer can put his feet up and enjoy free heating and free food. Make these murderers rue the day they ever thought about killing someone.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i watched it too.

and in no way whats-so-ever are honor killings justified

EVER
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Honour killing! please define it so I can answer
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How about no?
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shub90)
    Honour killing! please define it so I can answer
    Well there is nothing honorable about it.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    I disagree, I think honour killings is not a special title. When people kill ex boyfriends/girlfriends that is not because their family name, pride or reputation is damaged is it?
    So when a woman has an affair and the guy murders her, you don't think that's an honour killing? It's all about pride, reputation, feeling betrayed etc. In Western countries that have stronger family ties, such as Italy, it's more prevalent. The British family unit is smaller and isn't extended like many other cultures.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    So when a woman has an affair and the guy murders her, you don't think that's an honour killing? It's all about pride, reputation, feeling betrayed etc. In Western countries that have stronger family ties, such as Italy, it's more prevalent. The British family unit is smaller and isn't extended like many other cultures.
    That is different, it is a crime of passion based on jealousy.

When we talk about honor crime we are talking about family honor, and it often manifests as daughters/sisters betraying 'family honor' by shagging the wrong colour bloke and being punished for it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    Well there is nothing honorable about it.

What does it mean ? everyone has different definition to it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajie_)
    As a sikh, i find it disgusting that the small minority of the people in the community carry out these crimes. however, if it was in a circumstance where your brother or sister was raped, abused etc then i understand if you beat the person up. You would do the same thing to a peadophile abusing your child. But killing your own family, when their trying to do something like liberating themselves from an abusive relationship is disgusting. Theres more honor it getting a divorce and being free from a abusive relationship than dying from one. Asian families especially those who have been brought up with these types of morals and values are un-educated individuals. Alot have been brainwashed by religion and wider society therefore, don't know the rights and wrongs. Although some people claim to be good sikhs, muslims and hindu's doesn't mean they know 110% about their religious scriptures - unfotunetly these people are the ones who carry out the disgusting acts that label our communities which is a sad fact.

Completely Justified and I agree. And sikhism is the religion where women is given equal status. Everyone is treated equally (in scriptures). Proud to be Sikh
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Historophilia)
    the 20 year old guy who made the comment about men being like gold and women being like silk.
    Now watching the documentary makes sense! I was a bit confused about that comment. Now I understand :sad: It's so disgraceful.

Unfortunately this is the case in such cultures. In one of the articles that I posted on this thread, the woman being interview said that she was raised to believe that all girls were like a piece of white cloth - once they do something considered bad, they and 'stained' and 'dishonoured' forever, so they must remain clean.

It was back to what I was saying before - if a woman files for divorce, it's shame or her family and herself. She would be seen as 'unmarriable'.

That's why in some cultures, when a woman gets married, she must be a virgin before the marriage, because on the wedding night when she and her husband have sex, she'd have to bleed (some women bleed when they lose their virginity). If she doesn't, then it is assumed that she is not a virgin, therefore 'dirty'. There have been cases where some women have decided to have surgery to 'fix' their hymen so that they bleed when they have sex with their husband on the wedding night.

It's another reason why in some families, some girls are not allowed to further themselves in education, or not allowed to move out at all until they are married.

One of my friends is a British born Afgan. She has an older brother. Her brother was allowed to move out for university. He does his own thing, going out partying, clubbing, raving, dating. Whereas for her, she is not allowed to move out for university because she is a girl, so she has to commute. She is not allowed to move out until she is married, because if her parents let her move out and then she was out and about, doing her own thing like her brother (partying, raving, dating, etc) then it would be frowned upon by the Afgan community and shameful for the family because like the previous statement, a girl is like a piece of white cloth. Once it's stained it's stained forever. So once she does something which is frowned upon, the family is dishonoured forever.

I also knew another girl who nearly didn't apply to university because her dad wouldn't let her go. Instead he and her mother were planning an arranged marriage. She even told me that often girls would get married off and that girls are expected to be 'a bit dumb' so that they don't succeed in education and go for a top career, instead living at home to do domestic chores and to have kids. She also said it wouldn't seem right to the males in her community for a girl to be educated or focused on having a career, and that a lot of the men wouldn't allow it. That was a long time ago. I saw her a few months ago and she said she will apply to uni to do a degree in relation to childcare.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Completely Justified and I agree. And sikhism is the religion where women is given equal status. Everyone is treated equally (in scriptures). Proud to be Sikh
    Is that petty attempt at a dig at Islam? Where does it say in the Qur'an that women aren't treated equally? Islam gives women rights and protection much more than any other religion.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajie_)
    I do agree with what you are saying but I don't think they have been brainwashed by religion it is a cultural issue that is thinly veiled with religion.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDizzeeKid)
    Is that petty attempt at a dig at Islam? Where does it say in the Qur'an that women aren't treated equally? Islam gives women rights and protection much more than any other religion.

No i didn't name Islam mate ! i just talked about my own religion. I don't talk about other's religion. And why did you assume I was having a dig at Islam ?.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    No i didn't name Islam mate ! i just talked about my own religion. I don't talk about other's religion. And why did you assume I was having a dig at Islam ?.
    Because the thread is about a Muslim who killed a white girl....I obviously don't agree with what he did as he has not only violated the law of the land but Shariah law as well.
    You said Sikhism doesn't promote it as if saying Islam or other religions do.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    That lawyer is so great. So smart and speaking sense.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didnt mention islam at all!. Secondly the post is i replied to didnt mention of white girl or muslim man killing her. And i didnt read posts before it. So stop assuming things !

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 1, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.