Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dont Want To Lose Microsoft Word

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to do a system recovery on my laptop in order to be able to use Photoshop for an extra 30 days (ie download the program as a trial again).
    I don't want to lose Microsoft Word, I downloaded this after paying for it ages ago, and I've had 3 chances to download it so if I do the system restore it won't let me download it again. Can I send the program to myself in an email or something?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's a drastic measure. Why not just use a free alternative to Photoshop such as GIMP or Paint.NET? I'm sure others can reccomend more...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Use GIMP instead.

Seems like a bit much just to get another month of photoshop, do you plan on doing this every month? Use a different piece of software. If you need Photoshop for work or something then i suggest buying it just like you did with Word.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you copy all the system files for MS Word, and put them back into place after the system restore, it should work fine, at least this method worked for me with PowerISO.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisyfresh)
    I'm about to do a system recovery on my laptop in order to be able to use Photoshop for an extra 30 days (ie download the program as a trial again).
    I don't want to lose Microsoft Word, I downloaded this after paying for it ages ago, and I've had 3 chances to download it so if I do the system restore it won't let me download it again. Can I send the program to myself in an email or something?
    Do you have the key for Microsoft word?
    If so remember it, and transfer the files of the program on to a USB.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think there's a way you can register on the microsoft office website to allow you to reinstall it without losing one of your trials. I don't know how to do it though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Theoretically, if you're copying over the .exe and .dll files that had originally been 'serial'd' so to speak, they should still work, in the same way replacing the .exe and .dll with cracked versions works.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just use Belarc Advisor to get all the serials for your software. Get any copy of Word from any source, friends online etc, and use your serial instead.

This method is even allowed by manufacturers such as dell who allow the details of where you can download official copies of word (and even Windows) from to be listed on their support pages.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    System recovery just for Photoshop? My god you are mad.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    forget Word use TeX
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure recovering your laptop repeatedly to get a free trial multiple times is just as illegal as pirating the software - so you might as well do that.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    do you have the disc? or did you pay for download only? I have 2007 on disc and it'll let you register it more than the 3 times it says it will
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're better of pirating it in all honesty. I know you've paid for it already but I guess there's something to learn there.

When you download the package isn't that the installer, so you can simply store that on a USB and restore it a million times. Try it offline first in the hope it works because they probably try to keep an active connection, sort of like DRM.

If that fails there#s always open office.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are 3 easier options

1. System restore back to a point before you installed photoshop

2. Uninstalling photoshop, making a new email address, reregistering with that and downloading again

3. I can't mention this one but i'm sure you can figure it out
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangoh)
    Does that mean if you copied the files from computer 1 to computer 2, you could effectively install MS Word twice without having to require another serial key?

:confused:

#hasdoubtsinyourmethod
    No, it won't work. Transferring programs is incredibly tricky and rarely works because most software makes use of services/drivers/registry keys that aren't easily transferrable. Typically smaller programs may work (sub 10mb ish), but office won't. If you wanted to transfer word to another computer and not have to enter the serial key then you can delve into the registry and copy a key under the office tree named 'DigitalProductID', which if you import to another machine, will effectively have copied the serial number from the first machine; however when opening word, it will attempt to activate online, at which point microsoft can see the same key is used in more than one place
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just either get another PS trial with another email.
    Or pirate PS.
    Why the **** youre doing a system restore is beyond me anyway, it wont work, your 30 day key has been activated with adobe servers so it wont work again. A system restore has no effect on this.
    Finally try CS6 beta, unless youre some sort of pro, (which I doubt based on this thread), it will be fine for you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good point, good time for CS6 beta to come out for you.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    doesn't make sense as it doesn't explain how people sell software (fake office etc...) with unlimited serial keys on one disk.

your method is flawed
    By cracked (e.g. hex-edited) .exe files, so they don't activate with MSs servers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    so then how do they get the MS updates :rolleyes:
    They don't, they wait for an update package to be released by a pirate. I'm pretty sure they've changed now. You could get updates before because Windows Update thought it was registered officially since the serial key was active.

For example, I have Office 2010 on my laptop, it was active for about a month, I was getting updates for it. Then they must have blocked the serial key, or blocked the patch I had. Anyway the entire thing still works fine, with all features, you just have to close the message at the start telling you its unregistered.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    so then how do they get the MS updates :rolleyes:
    By the fact it is cracked, so that it doesn't send "Hi, I am pirated software" to Microsoft... :rolleyes:

Some updates, such as security updates, anyone can download, there is no checking if the product is valid (and technically, you can download if you don't even have the product). Other products then Office Genuine Advantage checks if your software is legit before allowing you to download the product. But it is possible to hex-edit the programs that are reasonable for that, and as such trick the programs into sending the 'ok' sign to the Microsoft, and then still get updates. Every now and then, Microsoft release an update, and then someone hacks it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 24, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.