The Student Room Group

No Internship Offer

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by charles-perry
I also have to consider that this is my third attempt to break into a BB and next time will be my 4th (although I would have rejected myself in attempt 1 lol yes I was that bad!)

Fourth?
I hope you mean "the fourth year in a row"!
Otherwise... can I call you "beginner"?

I think a little bit of desperation is acceptable after the 40th attempt, not the 4th! :wink:
It has always been the case that contacts help greatly and never has it been more pertinent than now.

If you cannot get in through the "back" door, I suggest you rethink your goals and objectives.

What is it about Investment Banking that attracts you? The money, fame, long hours (and therefore macho), etc.

Apart from the the usual Investment Banks, you could try prop trading.

Alternatively you could even trade from home but that would mean investing your own money. You'll learn to be more careful at least!

In the meantime, try to do something to distinguish yourself, maybe concentrate on one of your hobbies and try to take it to international level.
Yup the next time I apply will be the 4th year in a row applying. Spring weeks, summer, summer again, now FT/summer.*

I did contact my contacts - several said they would 'help' but I landed only one BB interview. My trouble is - even though I can do activities to make me more unique etc - if my CV was not making the cut I would have never been interviewed at that BB (GS/MS/JPM), them telling me I have one of the strongest applications they received, and rejected from a CV screen from everywhere else.*

I already trade a live account. And one of my ECs has been completed on an international level already. :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Iqbal007
Can you guys give me advice if you don't mind, in terms of what I should do in my summer, i'm a 1st year.... but I want to do Islamic IB...any ideas? I know many of the top IB's have areas focused on that area especially in the Middle East but they don't do anything like that for experience.

I may sound crazy but...apply for internships in the middle east?

If you are hoping to learn more about Sukuk finance then it's probably the place to be. The chances of getting placed on a Middle Eastern sales desk in London are a bit slim.
Reply 24
Original post by Kerpal
I may sound crazy but...apply for internships in the middle east?

If you are hoping to learn more about Sukuk finance then it's probably the place to be. The chances of getting placed on a Middle Eastern sales desk in London are a bit slim.

Don't you think I'm smart to realise that. However they only got graduate schemes.

Thats why i'm looking here, it'll be far easier for a firm to take me.
Reply 25
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulge_bracket

Original post by charles-perry
Yup the next time I apply will be the 4th year in a row applying. Spring weeks, summer, summer again, now FT/summer.*

I did contact my contacts - several said they would 'help' but I landed only one BB interview. My trouble is - even though I can do activities to make me more unique etc - if my CV was not making the cut I would have never been interviewed at that BB (GS/MS/JPM), them telling me I have one of the strongest applications they received, and rejected from a CV screen from everywhere else.*

I already trade a live account. And one of my ECs has been completed on an international level already. :smile:

You do too much. Are you focussing on anything?

I could have put casual drinking on my CV and it would probably improve it.
It might look to them as you arent focussed on stuff, but rather try to blend in.
4th year in a row with no success? You should of learnt how to get internships after the first year.

Since you still don't have a clue.....
Original post by Spurious
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulge_bracket

You do too much. Are you focussing on anything?

I could have put casual drinking on my CV and it would probably improve it.
It might look to them as you arent focussed on stuff, but rather try to blend in.

I am focusing on things.... but its also important to be all-rounded right? I wouldn't say I do too much... I just do enough to be able to cope with studies also.
Original post by fail@maths
4th year in a row with no success? You should of learnt how to get internships after the first year.

Since you still don't have a clue.....

3rd year and i scored a couple of interviews (one last year, one this year). I don't think SW's count for me as my CV sucked/I didn't know what to do with life... so 2 years in a row tbh. I don't think its not having a clue... I honestly am doing as much as I can to secure interviews. If Im constantly failing CV screens, even though whoever I show them to thinks its good, then idk whats going on.

Have to try harder I guess.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending