Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone in S.E Asia this summer?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Im going to India on the 1st of June then to Thailand from the 15th of June and then around Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos until September time. Anyone else on here going out?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel232)
    Im going to India on the 1st of June then to Thailand from the 15th of June and then around Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos until September time. Anyone else on here going out?
    Amazing, been there the last 2 summers so taking a break this year :P

What's on your list of things to do?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Let me guess, Agra and Rajastan.

Then Bangkok, Chiang Mai...

Then Siem Reap and Phonm Penh, then Vientiane and Luang Prabang.

Then Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hoi An, etc.

Very touristy but still very exciting, especially if it's your first time in the area!

I don't think Cambodia or Laos need more than a week each though, which means you are spending a helluva lot of time in Thailand and Vietnam. 9 weeks each?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)

Then Bangkok, Chiang Mai...

Then Siem Reap and Phonm Penh, then Vientiane and Luang Prabang.

Then Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hoi An, etc.

Very touristy but still very exciting, especially if it's your first time in the area!

I don't think Cambodia or Laos need more than a week each though, which means you are spending a helluva lot of time in Thailand and Vietnam. 9 weeks each?
    1-2 weeks in Cambodia.

Laos can easily take 2-3 weeks. Luang Prabang, Vientiane, Vang Vieng, Phonsovan, Pakse, Bolaven Plateau, 3000 Islands. That'll easily require 2 weeks, I wouldn't write it off so quickly.

Vietnam as well, 9 weeks is barely enough. There's so much to see. Mekong Delta, HCMC, Da Lat, Hue, Hoi An, Hanoi, Sapa, Ninh Binh, Halong Bay, Nha Trang? And all the places inbetween.

Thailand could take 9 weeks too. Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pai, Ayutthaya, Sukkotai, the southern islands, Surin.

The key to travel is not to rush. If you've got the time, like the OP has, just take it slowly, staying longer in the places you enjoy, seeing places that are more difficult and time-costly to get to but just as amazing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No its going to be empty
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)

5th time to S.E Asia and completely wrong about the places im going but thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'll be there!! it'll be my first time tho...im planning to be there for about 8 weeks..any tips on 'must see' places and things to do??
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    5th time to S.E Asia and completely wrong about the places im going but thanks
    Why don't you explain which parts you are visiting then? Two people in yhis thread have presumed, yet you do not inform us yourself.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well In India sir, im visiting Mumbai and Goa as only there 2 weeks. In Thai, Bangkok, Phi Phi, Koh Tao, Phangan, Samui (maybe), dont want to do Krabi Again. ummm Went Bali before but not going this time and never been to Laos, Camb. Vietnam. Where would you suggest in Vietnam guys? Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    oh and btw, I live in Uxbridge too. Its lame
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well In India sir, im visiting Mumbai and Goa as only there 2 weeks. In Thai, Bangkok, Phi Phi, Koh Tao, Phangan, Samui (maybe), dont want to do Krabi Again. ummm Went Bali before but not going this time and never been to Laos, Camb. Vietnam. Where would you suggest in Vietnam guys? Thanks
    See my original post, above.

To expand, Hoi An is an awesome place, don't miss it out. Very laid back, I spent most days wandering the colourful streets eating and drinking. Stayed at the Hop Yen hotel in the dormitory for $4 and met loads of people. Quite cramped, but good fun nonetheless.

Hire a motorbike in Hue and go explore the countryside. There are some really cool pagodas that have been left to crumble and are being overgrown. Nobody else around, just you, a pagoda and a motorbike in the middle of lush, green paddy fields.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olibert)
    See my original post, above.

To expand, Hoi An is an awesome place, don't miss it out. Very laid back, I spent most days wandering the colourful streets eating and drinking. Stayed at the Hop Yen hotel in the dormitory for $4 and met loads of people. Quite cramped, but good fun nonetheless.

Hire a motorbike in Hue and go explore the countryside. There are some really cool pagodas that have been left to crumble and are being overgrown. Nobody else around, just you, a pagoda and a motorbike in the middle of lush, green paddy fields.
    Thanks for that. Really helpful! Will check out that hostel
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll be travelling in SE Asia from late July until mid-September
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    where is the cheapest place to fly to from UK? any ideas please???
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    hey, I am planning to start my backpacking from India as well..where are you flying to? and where are you planning to finish your trip?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dent2012)
    where is the cheapest place to fly to from UK? any ideas please???
    London.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olibert)
    London.
    Where in Asia would be cheaper to fly to from London?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Will be in SE Asia this summer, though mostly a business trip, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Bangkok. All within a week in August, I think I will extend the stay in Bangkok for a couple of days as I would be in a dire need of a break by then. Will see how it goes.

Thinking of spending a few days in Bangkok and then maybe taking a flight to Da Nang in Vietnam.

Sometimes if you look on KLM or Lufthansa you may be able to fly cheaper than having a direct flight from London, in which case you just look for the nearest place where these airlines fly to.

If I fly to SE Asia I only fly on Singapore Airlines, so most flights will be via Singapore....... not always the cheapest but I like flying with them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Bangkok, Singapore and Kuala Lumpa are the main hubs for SE Asia.

Mumbai and Delhi for India.

Hong Kong or Beijing for China.

There's a trend: usually the bigger cities are cheapest to fly to.

Don't write off Manchester or Birmingham when looking for flights though. Sometimes they do have good deals but in my experience the cheapest flights I have found to Asia/Pacific region are from London.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your replies Olibert and Herr...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 4, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.