The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
To ask the British rep on his position on this issue.
The UAE also condemns Taiwan, although does understand that they may be feeling weak due to the demands of their powerful neighbour.
Reply 22
Vienna
Could Singapore outline precisely what its One China policy entails?
The US supports Taiwanese desire for independence and sovereignity, something that the Republic of Singapore is happy to enjoy since winning its independence from successive British and Japanese rule. Is Singapore willing to deny Taiwan the same opportunity to govern itself as a sovereign nation?

Singapore acknowledges that the Government of the People's Republic of China is the sole legal government of all of China, and Taiwan is an inalienable part of the territory of the People's Republic of China.

Singapore understands Taiwan's desire for independence, but we stress that the Taiwanese government should not unilaterally shift the neutral equilibrium in its favour without consultation from the mainland.
Vienna
Could Singapore outline precisely what its One China policy entails?
The US supports Taiwanese desire for independence and sovereignity, something that the Republic of Singapore is happy to enjoy since winning its independence from successive British and Japanese rule. Is Singapore willing to deny Taiwan the same opportunity to govern itself as a sovereign nation?
Query: Is this in character? I thought the US, despite the various treaties it has with the Republic of China (ie Taiwan) was basically in favour of the status quo rather than being pro-Taiwan, as evidenced by the fact that the treaty offering actual military support to Taiwan, or something along those lines, was quietly dropped in the '80s.

I'm probably just being picky here. Perish the thought, but I might even be wrong.
Reply 24
Agent Smith
Query: Is this in character? I thought the US, despite the various treaties it has with the Republic of China (ie Taiwan) was basically in favour of the status quo rather than being pro-Taiwan, as evidenced by the fact that the treaty offering actual military support to Taiwan, or something along those lines, was quietly dropped in the '80s.

I'm probably just being picky here. Perish the thought, but I might even be wrong.

AFAIK, it is.

WASHINGTON, March 2 (Xinhuanet) -- The U.S. State Department on Thursday asked the Taiwan authorities to correct their comments that there is no distinction between "abolish" and "ceasing activity" with regard to the "National Unification Council."

"We have seen reports that senior Taiwan officials have said, with respect to the 'National Unification Council', that there is no distinction between 'abolish' and 'ceasing activity' and that the effect of Taiwan's action earlier this week was to abolish the Council," the State Department said in a statement.

"We expect the Taiwan authorities publicly to correct the record and unambiguously affirm that the February 27 announcement did not abolish the 'National Unification Council', did not change the status quo, and that the assurances remain in effect," the statement added.

Taiwan leader Chen Shui-bian declared on Feb. 27 that the "National Unification Council" (NUC) would "cease to function" and that the "National Unification Guidelines" would "cease to apply,"which has drawn immediate opposition and condemnation from major political parties and groups on the island.

And at the same time, many countries in the world have reiterated their stand on adhering to the one-China policy and opposing Chen's move of advancing "Taiwan independence".

"Our understanding from the authorities in Taiwan was that the action Taiwan took on February 27 was deliberately designed not to change the status quo," the U.S. State Department's statement said.

"Abrogating an assurance would be changing the status quo, and that would be contrary to that understanding," the statement added.

"We believe the maintenance of Taiwan's assurances is critical to preservation of the status quo. Our firm policy is that there should be no unilateral change in the status quo, as we have said many times," said the statement.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-03/03/content_4254446.htm
Reply 25
Agent Smith
Query: Is this in character?

Probably not.
Reply 26
Knogle
Singapore acknowledges that the Government of the People's Republic of China is the sole legal government of all of China, and Taiwan is an inalienable part of the territory of the People's Republic of China.

Singapore understands Taiwan's desire for independence, but we stress that the Taiwanese government should not unilaterally shift the neutral equilibrium in its favour without consultation from the mainland.

How much independence has been acheived with "consultation" from the mainland?
Reply 27
Vienna
How much independence has been acheived with "consultation" from the mainland?

The very fact that Taiwan has been able to operate, pass her own laws, and recognise an elected President is already something noteworthy.

Your question is something the Taiwanese and Chinese should be answering.
Reply 28
Vienna
Probably not.

Shouldn't you be representing the views of the U.S. in real life? :p:
Reply 29
China is pleased to see that the Taiwanese people have in such large numbers, up to 100,000, decided to condemn the Taiwanese government's incompetance by protesting against the abolishment of the UC in Taipei, despite the cold and drizzle.

We hope this sends out a clear message to the Taiwanese authority. We now suggest they turn their attention towards improving the livelihoods of their people, rather than himself and his party.
I suggest to the Chinese rep that you cannot have it both ways. If Taiwan is to be part of the People's Republic, then it is not the responsibility of Taiwanese officials alone to improve conditions there, but the responsibility of the People's Republic as a whole. The central government has a part to play too.
Reply 31
Taiwan has it's own authority. The best China can do at the present moment because of the agressive tone of the Government is limited in what we would actually like to do in Taiwan for it to achieve its full potential, because of the seperate Taiwanese authority.
Reply 32
India condemns the actions of Taiwan.
Reply 33
The Ukraine, as a country struggling to escape from the influence of a large and powerful neighbouring country, would like to express suport for Taiwan. We believe that the people of Taiwan have a right to decide how they are governed and urge other nation to support any moves Taiwan makes to assert her independance.

We now suggest they turn their attention towards improving the livelihoods of their people, rather than himself and his party.

We would like to point out that Taiwan has a far better human rights record than China, and therefore a fully indepentant Taiwan would be in a far better position to improve the livelihoods of their people.

Furthermore we condem China's aggresive stance towards Taiwan and would like to suggest that they:

turn their attention towards improving the livelihoods of their people

and allow Taiwan to become fully independant from the mainland; if that is what the people of Taiwan wish
IF. That's the point, really. To the Chinese delegate: Would a free and fair referendum on the issue be a possibility in the near future?
Reply 35
First of all may I welcome you to the MUN.

It may interest you to know that in real life, Ukraine does support the One China policy.

China is making progress in improving human rights in the PRC. It is slow, but it is progress.

China is amused that the Ukrainedoes not believe we are not helping our people. If there was any research done, then it would be known that

China is making fantastic strides technological to make transport better for our people. We recently made plans which are being acted on to connect even small villages to our major cities. This will vastly improve their quality of life.

China is taking steps to protect our people from Bird Flu, including aiding our rural workers who may be affected.

China is taking huge strides to improve our AIDS situation, which I reported on earlier, you can read about that if you like here

We recently announed that we are now providing special funds for carterac operations in an effort to treat blindness in our poorer areas.

China could go on, but by now Ukraine should be reasonably interested into getting up to date with modern China.

The Secretary General
Would a free and fair referendum on the issue be a possibility in the near future?

Well the Taiwanese president is apparently going to hold a referendum to do with issues involving China, needless to say to wide criticism from countries such as the United States, so in theory Taiwan could have a referendum tomorrow, but it wouldn't be in reality that constructive to the negotiations, and certainly the pro-independence movement would not be in a better place on the world stage, regardless of the result.
Reply 36
Ukraine would like to apologise for acting out of role, I couldn't find any info on Ukraines stance, so decided to come up with what I thought their stance would be.

The Ukraine agrees with China that China is making progress on the human rights fronts, and is reasonably up to date with modern China. We understand that China is trying to help its people and applaud the many efforts they have made.

The point we were trying to make is that we believe political freedom can greatly accelerate the increase of livelihood of a population. According to the world bank Governance Research Indicator under "Voice and Accountability" Taiwan scores 75.7%, China 7.3%. We therefore believed that the people of Taiwan would be better off with their freer and more accountable government only.

Having said that we would like to thanks China for pointing out our error of stance, and wonders where China gets its information, as I said we could find nothing. The Ukraine therefore expresses its support for a one China policy. We also believe that China has shown great tolerance in this matter and welcome the news that China's PM has offered to open direct talks with Taiwin in order to solve this dispute in a peaceful manner
Reply 37
I go on Chinese news websites, but there isn't I imagine a whole load of Ukrainan counterparts. I imagine you probably will enjoy most information if you seach via Google News:

http://news.google.co.uk/nwshp?hl=en&tab=wn&q=

Then type "Ukraine" followed by the issue you want to research, e.g. "Ukraine One China Policy"

That should see you through, got me through my "Malaysia days" :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending