The Student Room Group

Advice – Business Management related degrees

I moved from Sweden to London in the summer of 2004 to gain some professional working experience before applying for university. I now have 1-½ years of working experience within a London based marketing firm (5 months in a management role).

I have applied to six different business management related degrees and have received the following offers so far:

City University (Business Management 1 years placement) unconditional
University of Surrey (Entrepreneurship in Technology, IT & Business) unconditional
Lancaster (Management and Entrepreneurship –1 years placement) unconditional
Nottingham Trent (Business studies) unconditional

Still waiting for offers from the following:

LSE (Management)
Kings (Business Management)

Would be great to receive feedback on the choices/degrees stated above. As it is today, my first choice would be City if I don’t receive an offer from LSE.

What do you guys reckon about Lancaster? I am quite interested in Entrepreneurship and I know that the management programme is decent, but what if I change my mind in 2-3 years? Must be better to study a pure business management degree?

Thanks in advance,

Fredrik
Rule Nottingham Trent & Surrey out immediately.

That leaves City & Lancaster. Both excellent uni's but i think Lancaster is slightly better for Business. Then again, I don't know much about City.

I think you should wait for LSE. If you get that offer then thats the one. :biggrin:
Reply 2
I went to Surrey for the open day visit (plus interview…) and I must say I was not very impressed. The reason why I applied for this school is because of the subject (Entrepreneurship in Technology, IT & Business).
Reply 3
And if you get an offer from Kings, thats also the one... ?
Reply 4
ElWilson
And if you get an offer from Kings, thats also the one... ?

So you are saying that King’s Business Management degree is better then City’s? What about the placement year at City?
MrBing
So you are saying that King’s Business Management degree is better then City’s?

Um yep
Reply 6
i got an offer from LSE (AAB) a few weeks ago, so you should hear from them soon.

I know its not quite the same as entrepreneurship, but i'm indecisive about whether to take management or fashion management - got offers from london college of fashion & LSE... really love LSE as a uni, but love the course at the other LCF too.. going to LSE would mean a broad degree, but fashion is what i want to go into..any advice?
eh_crimbo
i got an offer from LSE (AAB) a few weeks ago, so you should hear from them soon.

I know its not quite the same as entrepreneurship, but i'm indecisive about whether to take management or fashion management - got offers from london college of fashion & LSE... really love LSE as a uni, but love the course at the other LCF too.. going to LSE would mean a broad degree, but fashion is what i want to go into..any advice?

You're crazy for even considering fashion management to be replaced with LSE's management, my opinion anyway.
Multiplexed
You're crazy for even considering fashion management to be replaced with LSE's management, my opinion anyway.

That's what most people would say, however it's really up to the individual to decide whats best for themselves.
Superchris1987
That's what most people would say, however it's really up to the individual to decide whats best for themselves.

Totally true but most people would say that! :smile:
Reply 10
okok..i know thats what most ppl wud think but it'l be something i'd love to do..i totally understand how fashion management wouldnt be as "good", but i dont know if im going to b able to stand 3 yrs of "comparative studies of the late industrial revolutionary aspects of russia, japan, bla bla..." (i recall something like that)..but then can i really spend 3 yrs at a place full of essex girls (aparently so..even though i know a lot of ppl that go there who r not, but im sure uknowwhatimean)..
Fashion?!?! Can't you just go out and buy some clothes or something?!?! A Management degree won't stop you doing that! A fashion degree is pretty much worthless...IN MY OPINION anyway. And who says you can't go into "Fashion" after getting a degree from LSE??? Your CV would shine a LOT more than anyone who has studied fashion anywhere!!! Who knows? Maybe one day you'll even be a manager at Topshop! Or whatever...
hey I'm from Sweden too.

Out of you current choices I would def choose Lancaster.

However like Multiplex said you should wait for LSE. It's obvioulsy the best.

If you get rejected from LSE that leaves Kings and lancaster. If you really want to live in London then pick Kings. If you want a campus uni experience(like me) then pick lancaster.

Good luck

Latest

Trending

Trending