The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Anybody know much about sheepscar?

Come this september, myself and four others will be living on sackville street, which is just off meanwood road and servia hill.

I was just wondering what opinions people had on this area/areas surrounding it. When we put down the deposit we weren't really too aware on the area but some people have said it's quite rough.

The more opinions the better; i'm hoping we didn't sign for the house too quickly.

Thanks
Meanwood isn't bad....

but your street is bang smack in between Little London, and Chapeltown Road.

Little London is full of chavs and druggies, and Chapeltown in itself is full of black ghetto gangs, and has a bad history of violent crime.

I'm very familiar with all of these areas, and I'd be happy enough living in Meanwood, but I'd stay away from LL and Chapeltown personally.
Having said that, I lived for 5 years in Harehills, which is almost as bad as Chapeltown, and I survived.

I'd suggest asking your landlord whether or not he will consider getting some gates on the front of your door. That's what I had when I lived in Harehills - this sort of thing :

It's not a great area you've picked, I have to admit, but there ARE worse places in Leeds to live. And besides, I lived in LS17 for most of my life, and that's a pretty safe affluent area, yet my mam's car got broken into twice when I was a kid. So...ya know...swings and roundabouts really. I'm sure you'll be fine.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Check out Google Maps to zoom in your street, drag the yellow man icon to see street pics of your house :frown:
PinkMobilePhone is right about the area, trust her advice.
Sackville street is on a mini industrial estate connecting Little London & Chapeltown, both areas i would avoid, also i would take the long way round to the uni, rather than take a short cut through Little London, especially at night, but you might be 6'6" and built like a brick out house and have a black belt in some martial art so your experience may differ.
To summerise it's a sh*thole try get your deposit back or abandon it and rent elsewhere.
Reply 3
Original post by Stacy93
To summerise it's a sh*thole try get your deposit back or abandon it and rent elsewhere.

The traditional student areas in Leeds are in Hyde park and Headingley but increasing demand means places like Little London are offered to students. Meanwood isn't the most desirable place to live, but plenty of students do live there. Just be sensible and street wise and you should be ok. If you can renege on the contract, maybe do it, but if not, don't have a fit.

Quick Reply

Latest