The Student Room Group

Renault Clio 2.0 16V Renaultsport 172

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Camoxide
OP is 16 no point in even carrying on with this thread.

Nah im turning 18 next week and i have passed my driving tests. Thank you all for replying.
Reply 41
Its the wrong car for you. Its the wrong car for everyone.

Never buy a French car.
Original post by Dan1909
Yeah that will be the killer. Chances are most insurers will just laugh and push him away.

Even at 21 with 4 years no claims, I was looking at >£1000 to insure a 182 Clio, so at 17 it'll just be painful.

Many people have told me that insurance will be expensive. Can anyone expand on this? and perhaps tell me how much it would roughly be for a RENAULT Clio 2.0 16v Renaultsport 172 car. Thanks again.
Reply 43
Original post by JamesNeedHelp2
Many people have told me that insurance will be expensive. Can anyone expand on this? and perhaps tell me how much it would roughly be for a RENAULT Clio 2.0 16v Renaultsport 172 car. Thanks again.

At 18, with a maximum of 1 years no claims? I doubt you'll even be able to get insured on it.

If so, expect a MINIMUM of £5k probably.
Original post by drummer
OP, insurance premiums are getting higher. That Renault is pretty much out of the question especially if you're 16. The car suggests 'boyracer' style and since you're a male the insurance is going to be heavy. For a decent price you can get one with lower mileage and group 1 on autotrader assuming you just want a car in good shape to get from A to B. There's no need to get a Renault Clio 2.0 16V Renaultsport 172 unless you yourself want to.

What do you propose i get if i am 18 and i want a decent car with low mileage preferably a Renault Clio?
Reply 45
What do you propose i get if i am 18 and i want a decent car with low mileage preferably a Renault Clio?

A 1.2 Clio, if you've got your heart set on a clio.
Original post by Dan1909
At 18, with a maximum of 1 years no claims? I doubt you'll even be able to get insured on it.

If so, expect a MINIMUM of £5k probably.

Could i not some how put my dad on the insurance to reduce the costs?
Reply 47
Could i not some how put my dad on the insurance to reduce the costs?

That was a guess, assuming you already have both parents on your insurance and live in a decent postcode.

Put simply, I doubt you'll be able to get insured on a 2 litre hot hatch at 18, unless you're willing to pay absolutely ridiculous prices.

Im on my parents insurance and they refused to insure me on anything with 'sport' in the name until im 21. that included the 1.6 fiesta s.. if you even find someone willing to insure you it will be £5k atleast i would say..

Original post by JC.
Not quite sure why we're still talking about my car, but...
V8 weighs a ton with fluids same as the clio?
Clio has 150ftlbs of torque my V8 has around 220ftlbs

As for E types being heavey - they are 1.3 tons - hardly heavey.
A "little" corsa is around 1.6 tons. That's heavey.

No idea how you even pretend to know what your on about when you actually believe a corsa is 1.6 tonnes.. my focus is <1.3tonnes, and that weighs more than a corsa..
Also some people actually like driving a smaller, more convenient car. They are also one hell of a lot more fun to drive then some 2 tonne saloon car. Fine if old cars are what you want and you can afford as much fuel as your car needs.. but seriously your stereotyping of hatchback drivers is pathetic..
Original post by just george
Im on my parents insurance and they refused to insure me on anything with 'sport' in the name until im 21. that included the 1.6 fiesta s.. if you even find someone willing to insure you it will be £5k atleast i would say..

No idea how you even pretend to know what your on about when you actually believe a corsa is 1.6 tonnes.. my focus is <1.3tonnes, and that weighs more than a corsa..
Also some people actually like driving a smaller, more convenient car. They are also one hell of a lot more fun to drive then some 2 tonne saloon car. Fine if old cars are what you want and you can afford as much fuel as your car needs.. but seriously your stereotyping of hatchback drivers is pathetic..

Al-right thanks. What would you say is a decent car that wont have a high insurance?

Thanks!
Al-right thanks. What would you say is a decent car that wont have a high insurance?

Thanks!

Well if your fixed on a clio, then i guess probably want to be looking at a 1.2 (ish) especially if your wanting to be the first named driver

Dont really know what sort of budget your on or how big a car you want? but i guess could look at toyota yaris/aygo, ford ka/fiesta/focus, peugeot 206/306? Have a look around at what you like the look of, probably look at a 1.6 maximum, check out some reviews, and phone up a few insurers and ask for rough quotes for the different cars?
Reply 51

Thanks!

Corsa, Micra (lol), golf, polo, C1, ect...

Need to be under 1.5 (Unless diesel) and have no tittles like "sport" else you'll get raped by the insurance companies.
I got insured for about 1.2k a year on a Clio 182 I've just turned 20 although I have my parents on my insurance too. Still a bit steep but it'll be worth it
Original post by Johnathon332
I got insured for about 1.2k a year on a Clio 182 I've just turned 20 although I have my parents on my insurance too. Still a bit steep but it'll be worth it

Shame its slow ey.
Reply 54
Original post by Sam Walters
Shame its slow ey.

In terms of this "range" of cars it's one of the faster :wink:. I guess you're comparing it to a Veyron though.
Original post by Dan1909
In terms of this "range" of cars it's one of the faster :wink:. I guess you're comparing it to a Veyron though.

Not quite that far up the scale im thinking more.......106GTI`s at track days.

They are "quick" cars. In comparison to your every day mondane motorway sloggers. 1.9 oil burners ect ect. They arnt.

As you can tell im not a fan of the 172/182/19 yada yada clio`s. Pretty much because every driver of one ive met on my travels thinks they are in a rocket ship and then get pissy when they get nailed down the slip road.
Reply 56
They're a fair bit faster than the 106GTI models were. Yeah a lot of people think they're a lot faster than they are, but they're still a relatively fast car, and I don't think you'll genuinely find anyone who honestly thinks they'll take on something a lot larger with a lot more power. People just like to boast about what they have :smile:.
Original post by Dan1909
They're a fair bit faster than the 106GTI models were. Yeah a lot of people think they're a lot faster than they are, but they're still a relatively fast car, and I don't think you'll genuinely find anyone who honestly thinks they'll take on something a lot larger with a lot more power. People just like to boast about what they have :smile:.

On paper perhaps but in practice its a diffrent story.

All in all they just need a turbo strapping to them and then they are alright.

Quick Reply

Latest