Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who do you follow/support?

Announcements Posted on
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've always been a Mclaren man since the mid 90s, I just liked the silver paint job I think!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    BAR when they were involved as I loved the paint job especially the Look left look right thing on the back! Nowadays McLaren.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Favourite team - Macca

Favourite driver is Schumacher but Button is close behind, gone off Hamilton a bit.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Drivers I like: Schumacher, Vettel, Alonso, Button, Kimi
    Teams I like: Ferrari, Mercedes, Minardi (R.I.P)

But I wouldn't say that I am a particularly passionate supporter of anyone like I am with other sports. I would prefer to watch a great race with say Hamilton winning than a boring race with a Ferrari driver winning.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Mclaren @@@@@@@@
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    ... it says a lot about him that last season which by his standards was poor, he got 3 wins and Alonso, who most people would rate higher, only got 1.
    lol great logic there :facepalm:

Or hows about you consider that Alonso finished ahead in the standings in a car that won only 1 GP when Hamilton was in a car that won 6 GPs? Or that up until the last race he was ahead of Webber in a car that won 12 GPs?
    He was actually in contention for 2nd spot the whole way through, which is staggering given the car he had.

But nah, let's not consider that obviously, let's just ignore good ol' logic and let our delusions outweigh common sense. You should try a dose of objectivity once in a while; it saves people from making ridiculous statements. I mean seriously what goes through a person's mind when they allow their senses to be compromised like that. Might as well say Vettel is 4 times better than Hamilton because he had almost 4 times more wins.

Also please would you stop spelling McLaren like it's an Irish team.
    McLaren. Not "McClaren".
    You're the only fan I know who doesn't know how to spell the name of their favourite team, it's not difficult...

In response to the OP, I've been a Ferrari fan for almost 12 years, they're the reason I started to watch the sport. Mind you the past few years Ferrari have been a bit of a joke, incompetent personnel who think the answer to everything is firing people.
    Also used to really like Renault back in the Flavio/Alonso days.

Currently a big fan of Merc GP as well, imo the best team of people on the entire grid right now...but then I would say that seeing as it's mostly the former Ferrari dream team.

Never particularly liked McLaren, I mean, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes. Don't really see the logic in supporting drivers/team simply because of nationality. It's not the olympics or a tournament of nations, besides it's no more 'British' then Force India or the majority of F1 teams based here.

However I know I would've liked them during Prost days, and I really liked them when they were super cool with Mika, Kimi and Montoya. When they'd win with McLaren I'd be happy. Plus Ron Dennis was quite a natural character.

Now they've turned into a really cheesy corporate team under Whitmarsh and Hamilton, there's a vibe of fakeness. Drivers can't say what they like, Whitmarsh has to say things that please his board of directors, nobody can end a sentence without mentioning Vodafone or Santender...
    Just makes me cringe now how they think they're like Apple or something with the whole 'we're geniuses' culture.

Plus I regard them as winners, not champions. 1 championship in the last 12 years so of the last decade they are the 4th most successful team behind Ferrari, Red Bull and Renault. Yet for some reason they like to self-proclaim that they're the best team, when their fundamental strategy over the last few years has been to continue developing for wins at the end of the season when the leading team stops development to focus on next year...admitted by Ron Dennis himself.

But if Kimi goes back there then of course he's too cool to mix in with that cheesyness and it'd be awesome to see him win with them.

Favourite drivers are:
    1. Schumacher
    2. Alonso
    3. Raikkonen

Schumacher is just an inspiration since I was a kid, Raikkonen is the reason I truly fell in love with the sport. Imo he represents the true essence of pure racing like Senna. Alonso because I see a lot of myself in his character, probably the one driver I can relate to most, plus he evokes such passion. It's all about colourful emotion with him, whether it be his fiery anger or his ability to galvonize entire nations into worshipping him.

For some reason the only British drivers I like are Scottish, even though I'm English. DC is probably the most characterful British driver we've had in a loooooong time. From likening his steering wheel buttons to a woman's nipples to threatening to "kick three colours of ****" out of Massa, he's been awesome. Englishman Mansell was great though.

Fortunately for me all three drivers got the prestigious Ferrari seat so I've really enjoyed it. However I'm making the most of the time they're here because I can't see myself enjoying the sport once those 3 leave. For me it's like if you take out Federer, Nadal and Djokovic out of tennis...the sport becomes empty.

The newer drivers are just wannabes, gone are the days when you had real men who knew respect. Now you have prepubescent boys crying for their daddies or acting like depressed chicks because they split with their girlfriends or calling each other idiots etc. Vacuous characters pretending to be rockstars and engaging in superficial heinous cultures.

Plus the sport itself isn't as technically good as before, it's just gone backwards. So with the new crop of drivers and regulations I'm not sure I will even watch it as much once my favourite 3 leave.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marc Fiorano)
    Now they've turned into a really cheesy corporate team under Whitmarsh and Hamilton, there's a vibe of fakeness. Drivers can't say what they like, Whitmarsh has to say things that please his board of directors, nobody can end a sentence without mentioning Vodafone or Santender...
    I find this comment interesting, since it is hard to be more 'corporate' than good ol' Ron. I'd personally lay the corporate blame at his rather OCD/clinical door rather than Whitmarsh. After all, who was it that invented official partners instead of sponsors and other classic gems of ron-speak?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a fan of Jenson and I have to say that I have liked Grosjean just because he was so happy and smiley in Australia
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    I find this comment interesting, since it is hard to be more 'corporate' than good ol' Ron. I'd personally lay the corporate blame at his rather OCD/clinical door rather than Whitmarsh. After all, who was it that invented official partners instead of sponsors and other classic gems of ron-speak?
    I don't really follow them closely enough to know the ins and outs. I meant more in terms of the culture, or at least how it comes across to a non-fan. Under his management the drivers were still allowed to be themselves, expressive, even Ron himself would be quite a fiery character at times.

That's just my take on it. I may be wrong maybe they were just as corporate then but drivers like Mika, DC, Kimi and Montoya didn't give in to the culture imo. If you think about the way those 4 were as McLaren drivers, I can't see how they'd be allowed to be that way in today's McLaren.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    I'm a fan of Jenson and I have to say that I have liked Grosjean just because he was so happy and smiley in Australia
    Did you watch Spa 09 :lol:?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    Did you watch Spa 09 :lol:?
    No, this is the first year I have seen him...

Think I started watching last year but can't really remember...
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    No, this is the first year I have seen him...

Think I started watching last year but can't really remember...
    Lol.

Anyway, Grosjean recklessly took JB out of that race.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like: Webber, Kobayashi, Rosberg, Grojean.

Dislike: Schumacher, Vettel, Alonso.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lewis Hamilton ever since I started watching F1 2 years ago

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    McLaren since I only live 15mins from the factory, did work experience there aswell.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lbsf1)
    McLaren since I only live 15mins from the factory, did work experience there aswell.
    Cool!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    McLaren but it's not like football where I hate every other team. It's the great thing about F1. I can go on and on and truly praise someone who is doing well and a team for how well they work. For the innovations they come up with.

So although I support McLaren I look at all teams and I'm more into the engineering side of things rather than the racing. For example I am loving Grosjean at the minute. A rough diamond. He seems a really good lad and I want him to go on and do well in F1.

All in all it's the engineering. I love to see and learn how teams work, how they do things on a race day with regards to the car and when there is no racing I spend a fair bit of time looking into the parts of an F1 car.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm a huge McLaren supporter, so gunning for Jenson and Lewis all the way. Also have a bit of a soft spot for Perez and Maldy :P
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Huge McLaren fan being patriotic and all that jazz!! More inclined in LH than JB because I think he’s a better driver. LH always gets a bad rep as being rude, arrogant and dismissive, but he’s not, he’s just human and is so passionate about F1. LH wears his heart on his sleeve and that should be applauded.

Favourite 3 drivers:
    Hamilton, he’s quick.
    Perez, he’s quick and cute!
    Grosjean he’s quick and hot!

Least Favourite 3 drivers:
    Maldonado, psycho!
    Button, overrated imo, seems a nice guy though!!
    Vettel, that bloody finger. Put him in a **** car and then show me how great he is!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like a Toro Rosso for instance?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 8, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered motorsport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.