The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Uni of Dundee accommodation 2012/13

Which accommodation does everyone likeeeeee? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
To me Heathfield, Westpark Flats and Belmont Flats all look great, since I like modern architecture :smile: Guess I have to check them out on the post application day in April.
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
Wow, okay really late reply. I would say Belmont/Heathfield. But I've read that they are mostly furnished the same and stuff.

On the other hand, which halls would be a good idea for a psychology student to choose? Meaning nearer to my lectures etc. Any current students care to shed some light? :smile:
Reply 3
I like Belmont/Heathfield too. But all the flats are even more expensive this year than before :redface: The West Park flats are cheaper but I don't know if I want to walk from there ever day :biggrin: And then I was also thinking about The Hub because the rent is almost the same as in the university's flats and I think it's a better place to stay?

Edit: Now I think I might choose West Park because it looks quite nice but most of all it's SO much cheaper! And if I think about it, a 15 to 20-minute walk is not bad haha.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Student-S
Wow, okay really late reply. I would say Belmont/Heathfield. But I've read that they are mostly furnished the same and stuff.

On the other hand, which halls would be a good idea for a psychology student to choose? Meaning nearer to my lectures etc. Any current students care to shed some light? :smile:

Also going to study Psych., also thought about that :smile: The Psych. department is located within the Scrymgeour building at the eastern end of the campus, so you can consult Google Maps and Streetview to find out. I think some residences are located roughly within the centre of the campus, none of them should be too far away.

You could also look for a hidden room in the cellar of the Scrymgeour building, shortest walk possible plus you could haunt the corridors at night :biggrin:
Reply 5

Belmont, Heathfield and Belmont Tower would be closest, they're in roughly the same place on campus so it doesn't make a difference :smile:. I can make it to my lecture in the tower building in 5 mins on a snooze day...

Also, Belmont and Heathfield are exactly the same, both built around the same time and have the same furnishings. However Belmont Tower is a lot older, but the rooms are bigger but just not as modern as the other two. Haven't mentioned West Park as its 20 mins away nor Seabraes, which would be about 10 mins walk from the Scrymgeour Building.
Reply 6
Original post by Sir Fox
Also going to study Psych., also thought about that :smile: The Psych. department is located within the Scrymgeour building at the eastern end of the campus, so you can consult Google Maps and Streetview to find out. I think some residences are located roughly within the centre of the campus, none of them should be too far away.

You could also look for a hidden room in the cellar of the Scrymgeour building, shortest walk possible plus you could haunt the corridors at night :biggrin:

Awesome! I guess I'll be seeing you when the semester starts :smile: Have you applied for accomdation yet?

Original post by Camppu
I like Belmont/Heathfield too. But all the flats are even more expensive this year than before :redface: The West Park flats are cheaper but I don't know if I want to walk from there ever day :biggrin: And then I was also thinking about The Hub because the rent is almost the same as in the university's flats and I think it's a better place to stay?

Edit: Now I think I might choose West Park because it looks quite nice but most of all it's SO much cheaper! And if I think about it, a 15 to 20-minute walk is not bad haha.

I know right! The cheaper rent could go into so much other things!! But then again, the thought of waking up so much earlier to get to lectures is making me reconsider again :/

Original post by Sarky.
Belmont, Heathfield and Belmont Tower would be closest, they're in roughly the same place on campus so it doesn't make a difference :smile:. I can make it to my lecture in the tower building in 5 mins on a snooze day...

Also, Belmont and Heathfield are exactly the same, both built around the same time and have the same furnishings. However Belmont Tower is a lot older, but the rooms are bigger but just not as modern as the other two. Haven't mentioned West Park as its 20 mins away nor Seabraes, which would be about 10 mins walk from the Scrymgeour Building.

Thanks for the info! Is the difference in floor space between Belmont and Heathfield very large?

Oh, and does it get noisy since it's near campus and the school facilities(tennis courts, etc). Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 7
Heathfield and belmont seem to be the most popular with my mates. The furnishing are quite nice and they are about two minutes from the union shop if you need anything. West park and seabraes are a pain if you have gaps between classes. The hub and keillor court are good too, and close to lidl and a small tesco.

Obviously it depends on personal circumstances, but keillor court is the nicest in my opinion and is about 30 seconds from campus :smile:
seabraes is hardly a pain, same walk to the tower building as from heathfield or belmont really.

it's all about heathfield really, but i doubt it would live up to heathfield 2009.
Reply 9
Suppose it depends which part of campus you need to get too where is most convenient tbh. West park is really popular with medicine students because it's closest to ninewells. All depends what course you're on!
Reply 10
Thanks for the info! Is the difference in floor space between Belmont and Heathfield very large?

Oh, and does it get noisy since it's near campus and the school facilities(tennis courts, etc). Thanks in advance :smile:

Not at all, I'd say the room size in Heathfield and Belmont is exactly the same (although it varies by what block you're in, some rooms are slightly bigger if you're on a corner), mostly because the design is the same :P.

Although I'd say the kitchens in heathfield are bigger, thats why Heathfield is better for parties! :biggrin:

Most of the noise comes from the ISE...if you're next to that it'll be loud or if you're next to Hawkhill in Heathfield, but apart from that, nope :smile:. Of course it can get loud on Tuesday/Friday/Saturday nights when people are returning from the union.
Reply 11
Original post by Sarky.
Not at all, I'd say the room size in Heathfield and Belmont is exactly the same (although it varies by what block you're in, some rooms are slightly bigger if you're on a corner), mostly because the design is the same :P.

Although I'd say the kitchens in heathfield are bigger, thats why Heathfield is better for parties! :biggrin:

Most of the noise comes from the ISE...if you're next to that it'll be loud or if you're next to Hawkhill in Heathfield, but apart from that, nope :smile:. Of course it can get loud on Tuesday/Friday/Saturday nights when people are returning from the union.

Hmmm... Heathfield. As for the noise, I guess I'll just buy earplugs or something if it gets that bad. hahaha.
Does anyone know when the accommodation is available for booking?
Reply 13
Accommodation applications are open today! Already sent away mine because I'm far too excited to wait :smile: I've put:
Belmont Flats premier
Belmont Flats standard
Heathfield standard
Belmont Tower premier
I chose the premier rooms because I need room for my sewing machine! Haha
I hope that Belmont is fun, after reading you guys saying that Heathfield is really good :/
Have any of you guys accepted your offers?
x
Any thoughts on the 'Is peace and quiet important?' question? I'm afraid to tick it in case I end up with folk that won't like me playing music etc but I also dont want to be with folk that are so rowdy I can't sleep/study/....
Reply 15
Original post by Lannie447
Accommodation applications are open today! Already sent away mine because I'm far too excited to wait :smile: I've put:
Belmont Flats premier
Belmont Flats standard
Heathfield standard
Belmont Tower premier
I chose the premier rooms because I need room for my sewing machine! Haha
I hope that Belmont is fun, after reading you guys saying that Heathfield is really good :/
Have any of you guys accepted your offers?
x

Not yet. Just returned to Germany a few hours ago, went to the Post Application Day yesterday. I had some doubts about my course but it was presented very well and as they also told me that students can change courses or just switch to a Joint Honours Degree I am sure I'll firm my offer very soon :smile:

Plus, there is the opportunity to go abroad to ANU in Canberra in 2nd year (didn't know that before). Had an offer from ANU but couldn't go due to horrendous fees over there, so being able to go abroad is just amazing :biggrin:

In terms of accomodation I'll probably go for Heathfield and put Belmont as my second choice. Thought a premium room would be unnecessary luxury, but as the difference in prices between premium and standard seems to be very little, I might choose premium.
Reply 16
Original post by TheAbominableJenna
Any thoughts on the 'Is peace and quiet important?' question? I'm afraid to tick it in case I end up with folk that won't like me playing music etc but I also dont want to be with folk that are so rowdy I can't sleep/study/....

I honestly don't think that anyone will complain about some music, unless you crank it up at 3 am to blow the roof off the building :biggrin: It will rather be an option for people who do not like to hear their flatmates coming home from a night out, being drunk and babbling :wink:
Original post by Sir Fox
I honestly don't think that anyone will complain about some music, unless you crank it up at 3 am to blow the roof off the building :biggrin: It will rather be an option for people who do not like to hear their flatmates coming home from a night out, being drunk and babbling :wink:

I wish there was an 'in betweeen' button! :P
Reply 18

I'm in the exact same position! I dont want to click it and be put with people that dont go out or don't like any noise! Also not sure whether I want mixed gender or not.. I think I do.
Reply 19
I wish there was an 'in betweeen' button! :P

You could try to specify the dezibel parameters you'd tolerate, mail them to the university and see what they reply :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest