The Student Room Group

Bishop Grosseteste University Lincoln - PGCE Primary

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi, I'm studying on the PGCE course now, on my final placement as we speak! Just thought I would warn you as to how awful BG are at organisation....We had to undertake a week's placement in a 0-3 years placement during the summer that I only found out about in a letter they sent me 5 days before we were supposed to start the course! I wouldn't be surprised if you still need to do this placement this year, so thought I'd tell you incase BG didn't! :smile:
Reply 41
Thanks for that, one of the other applicants at the interview said that they had mentioned having to have 3 days experience of key stage 3 before starting the course, but then they didn't say anything to me and it wasn't part of my offer so I'm just hoping they don't turn round and do this as I work full time and will be doing right up to starting the course, plus the schools will be breaking up soon. Did they let you off the experience then or give you a bit longer? Apart from the organisation how do you find them? X
Reply 42
Original post by chatts21
I got accepted for the course aswell in march! where is everyone planning to live next year? i applied for crosstrend house but cant find any details of the accomodation anywhere on google or anything! anyone heard or no anything?

Hey ive also applied for crosstrend house, was told be able to view it from May but not heard anything :confused:

Bex :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by VivaLaBam
Hi, I'm studying on the PGCE course now, on my final placement as we speak! Just thought I would warn you as to how awful BG are at organisation....We had to undertake a week's placement in a 0-3 years placement during the summer that I only found out about in a letter they sent me 5 days before we were supposed to start the course! I wouldn't be surprised if you still need to do this placement this year, so thought I'd tell you incase BG didn't! :smile:

I didnt even find that out til before the half term holiday for the jubilee so obviously i couldn't get hold of anyone in the schools to arrange it. Im still trying to get hold of schools and waiting for them to ring back. I dont know if i'm going to be able to get the experience before the course starts now and im getting worried about that now.
Hi, Im starting my primary PGCE in september at BG and went to the open day last week. I just handed my crosstrend house application in and she said i was in luck cuz there were still a few places left and gave me one of the places. Does anyone know the exact address of crosstrend house and postcode for student finance forms ?

Thanks
Reply 45
Pinepapple how did they let you know about the experience? I've heard nothing since the offer. Does it say it's compulsory? It wasn't as a term of my offer so hopefully not as even if could manage to find a school theres no way can get time off :frown: x
Reply 46
Original post by Shelbel
Pinepapple how did they let you know about the experience? I've heard nothing since the offer. Does it say it's compulsory? It wasn't as a term of my offer so hopefully not as even if could manage to find a school theres no way can get time off :frown: x

Yeah its compulsory i dont know if they'll let you do it once you've started the PGCE but i suppose you need to ask them that yourself cos they may consider the fact you have a job. I got the letter from them about 2 months after i got my offer, which is a long time. I just managed to get hold of a school today and she said she'll ask around to see if they can accommodate me before the summer hols and then get back to me. So im hoping i can get it before the holidays. It is quite short notice BG have given though. x
Reply 47
Hi I rang them this morning as think they realised they had forgotten about me as got the crb email within minutes then and also spoke to a woman in schools office who said a pack should have come out to me explaining about the experience. I said I would really be struggling to first of all find a school but also get the time off and she said I may be able to do it once we start so fingers crossed! That sounds promising that you might have found somewhere then. Really just want to get started now - feeling very excited and may start my obsession with stationary shopping soon! Lol x
Reply 48
Original post by Shelbel
Hi I rang them this morning as think they realised they had forgotten about me as got the crb email within minutes then and also spoke to a woman in schools office who said a pack should have come out to me explaining about the experience. I said I would really be struggling to first of all find a school but also get the time off and she said I may be able to do it once we start so fingers crossed! That sounds promising that you might have found somewhere then. Really just want to get started now - feeling very excited and may start my obsession with stationary shopping soon! Lol x

Oo its a good job you did ring them then! Glad they sorted that out, at least they are being understanding about the job situation :smile: I hope i do get into this school for the experience before the summer holiday fingers crossed :smile: Unfortunately my laptop keeps breaking down so i'm hoping i dont need to buy a new one by sept but if it keeps happening then i really am going to have to spend some of my first loan installment on a laptop. Which by the way i've got my installment letter from student finance so i know what i'm going to get which is a pretty decent amount. So hopefully i'll be ok if i do end up having to get a new laptop. And i love stationary shopping, i've had to hold myself back and my sister calls me sad haha. I've already bought an academic diary for the course because i know its going to be hard to find one nearer the time lol but everything else i'm telling myself i can get nearer the time x
Reply 49
I just hope they mean it and it wasn't someone on the phone just saying what they thought. I wish I could do it beforehand though and get it out the way but never mind. I'm not looking too good on the laptop front either - I have no 'o' key! lol. When do we get our installments? Am I right in thinking the bursary is paid monthly and BG sorts that out? I'm trying to hold myself back a bit too as I guess a lot of stuff like folders etc we won't know until we start and see all the different units. Bet I'll end up gping mad and buying loads tho! Must say I'm still not actually clear on all the modules and what they entail and assessment methods etc, don't think they went into a great amount of detail compared to what I got for my post grad and degree - hopefully it will all become clear soon though! x
Reply 50
Original post by Shelbel
I just hope they mean it and it wasn't someone on the phone just saying what they thought. I wish I could do it beforehand though and get it out the way but never mind. I'm not looking too good on the laptop front either - I have no 'o' key! lol. When do we get our installments? Am I right in thinking the bursary is paid monthly and BG sorts that out? I'm trying to hold myself back a bit too as I guess a lot of stuff like folders etc we won't know until we start and see all the different units. Bet I'll end up gping mad and buying loads tho! Must say I'm still not actually clear on all the modules and what they entail and assessment methods etc, don't think they went into a great amount of detail compared to what I got for my post grad and degree - hopefully it will all become clear soon though! x

Im sure you'll find out soon enough :smile: But i suppose if you do it soon as you can when we start uni then it should be ok. The first instalment Is the 10th Sept, so the first week we are there for enrolment etc. then the second is in Jan then third in April (i think, not sure about the third instalment and dont have the paper to hand atm) As for the bursary i think the uni sorts that out themselves when we start. I know what you mean about the course, there isnt really anything to tell us about the course so its just a case of wait and see. x
Reply 51
I got my pack yesterday and it did say preferably completed before the course but can be done during the beginning so thats good and I'll just do it a day a week or something :smile: Also said about us having to arrange a week for w/c 24th sept so its good we will be getting in schools quickly, think I might try and arrange a larger school as both of my experiences were in village schools. I'm going to strart trawling ebay and amazon for some of the sugessted books this weekend and hopefully pick up some bargains before everyone else starts looking. REALLY excited now! Are you looking forward to your secondary experience? I think it should be quite good fun x
Reply 52
Original post by Shelbel
I got my pack yesterday and it did say preferably completed before the course but can be done during the beginning so thats good and I'll just do it a day a week or something :smile: Also said about us having to arrange a week for w/c 24th sept so its good we will be getting in schools quickly, think I might try and arrange a larger school as both of my experiences were in village schools. I'm going to strart trawling ebay and amazon for some of the sugessted books this weekend and hopefully pick up some bargains before everyone else starts looking. REALLY excited now! Are you looking forward to your secondary experience? I think it should be quite good fun x

I'm kind of anxious and excited because I really dont want to teach secondary but it'll be good experience to see the difference etc. But i've still not heard back so going to ring them on Monday to see if she has managed to get me into the school. I've heard that its harder to get a volunteer place in a secondary school so that is kind of making me wonder if i will get in now. It would be easier if i could get it done before the summer hols but if not then i'll have to try at the start of the course. I've sent the form back about the age range etc and rang to see if they received my CRB back today but they said give it another 2 weeks. So its coming together slowly :biggrin: Ive been trying to find out what the experience will be like on the course and i heard they gradually ease you into teaching the class in the different teaching blocks. Unsure now of how many days we will have to be in uni during the week, im hoping i'll find out that info soon. I should've asked when i rang up this morning lol. x
Reply 53
I spoke to student support today and they said they do sort the bursary and they start paying it from october in 10 monthly installments of £500 if you got a 2:1. Have started to look at textbooks too and think I'm probably going to need about £200 to get them all, going to get them soon if I can while I'm still earning and gives me chance to brush up on my knoweldge (particularly english!). I'm going next week to do my CRB so like you it feels like its all starting to come together - only 76 days! eek! I'm still trying to decide whether to leave my work a week early to have a break, just want it to be here though. x
Reply 54
Original post by Shelbel
I spoke to student support today and they said they do sort the bursary and they start paying it from october in 10 monthly installments of £500 if you got a 2:1. Have started to look at textbooks too and think I'm probably going to need about £200 to get them all, going to get them soon if I can while I'm still earning and gives me chance to brush up on my knoweldge (particularly english!). I'm going next week to do my CRB so like you it feels like its all starting to come together - only 76 days! eek! I'm still trying to decide whether to leave my work a week early to have a break, just want it to be here though. x

I'm not buying any textbooks at the moment cos im not sure whether to, but i did get one cheap off a friend who has done a PGCE so i have a textbook plus a behaviour handbook off her which is a good read to control behaviour. She gave me a good deal so i thought i'd get it lol. When you go to get your crb done it is a looong wait, so be prepared to wait. But then again if a lot of people have already done their crb then it might not be a long wait. It depends on how you feel i think nearer the time i'm going to have trouble waiting for it to arrive lol x
Reply 55
i'm thinking its probably worth me getting the english ones to brush up on over summer, I may ask them how many copies they have in the library so know what chance have of borrowing them. I'll bare that in mind and take a book with me (would fifty shades be inappropriate??!!lol) to keep me from getting bored. Guess I've gotta make my mind up as gotta hand my notice in on in on monday if going to have the week before off - just wish this draft timetable would hurry up as if we dont have to turn up until the tuesday then i'm not so fussed about having the week before off. Think my husband wants it here quickly too as think i must be doing his head in with my excitement! lol x
Reply 56
Original post by Shelbel
i'm thinking its probably worth me getting the english ones to brush up on over summer, I may ask them how many copies they have in the library so know what chance have of borrowing them. I'll bare that in mind and take a book with me (would fifty shades be inappropriate??!!lol) to keep me from getting bored. Guess I've gotta make my mind up as gotta hand my notice in on in on monday if going to have the week before off - just wish this draft timetable would hurry up as if we dont have to turn up until the tuesday then i'm not so fussed about having the week before off. Think my husband wants it here quickly too as think i must be doing his head in with my excitement! lol x

Haha i doubt it :sexface: everyones going on about that book at the moment lol. Just to let you know i rang BG and they said they still interviewing and no decisions have been made about timetables etc so its going to be a few weeks yet before we receive that, i was surprised about that! I want the timetable quickly too so i can sort myself out. I suppose you are just going to have to make a decision since the unis taking ages. X

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Reply 57
Also just to let you know i've had another letter through the post with a provisional timetable and more info so now im a little worried that i might not be able to commute if i have to be in everyday. I really dont want to move out the home and move to lincoln lol but i will have to if i need to but i really dont want that added expense. Also i've a code from the uni for discount on Sage publications on pre-course reading. Pm me if you want more info on that. Im not sure if im supposed to be talking about it to be honest :s
Reply 58
Ah great stuff hopefully I'll get mine in the next week or 2 then. Did it mention in the timetable abut the different half terms? My father in law needs to book our flights but don't just want to assume ill be in a Lincolnshire school. Does it look like we will have to attend everyday? That will be bad for you if means you have to move, seems a waste of fuel and time to have people coming in every day, also makes it difficult to find part time job. I got my application form for a parking permit today. have pm'd you about the code thanks. X
Reply 59
I'll just pm you a reply to all this lol, going to go check inbox now x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending