Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

White glasses on an indian guy - yay or nay?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unless you got disgustingly high amounts of swagger like me, they'll look tacky and gay. So I guess they would suit you.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politricks)
    But you do realise that you could potentially take those who racially abuse you in this way to court? Even another South-Asian.

Why exactly do you think people from other Asian countries make fun of you for being Sri Lankan?
    What they are saying isn't physically hurting me and I'm only affected by what they say for a short time, I've been brought up to ignore what others say so I'm just gonna do that.

I really have no idea. In my area, there are a lot of Tamils and half of my sixth form is asians, so I guess others think we're 'taking over' or something :dontknow:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends (girl) wears white glasses in the typical "nerd" style and she is fair with very dark hair and she looks good. Go for it if you really want to- I think the contrast is nice.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How would one of those hipster ray ban glasses look on you?
    Think about them.. :P
    I'm going to buy one soon.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iLoveRobSwire<3)
    Lol it's fine, I've been told I look Indian a few times not sure if I should take it as a compliment though
    Urmmm seeing as there is a huge state in India called Tamil Nadu I would like to point out the majority of Tamils are Indian. ( Please also note there are a large amount of tamils in Sri Lanka ( I am guessing thats where your from?) and Malaysia... )
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I dunno)
    Urmmm seeing as there is a huge state in India called Tamil Nadu I would like to point out the majority of Tamils are Indian. ( Please also note there are a large amount of tamils in Sri Lanka ( I am guessing thats where your from?) and Malaysia... )
    I know that, I'm saying that people think that Indian's are lighter skinned than Tamils so they call me Indian because I don't look Tamil.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know that, I'm saying that people think that Indian's are lighter skinned than Tamils so they call me Indian because I don't look Tamil.
    See I still don't understand. Because I am Tamil and I am indian so to me it doesn't make any sense? Is it because they don't realise Tamil Nadu exists?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP, not to have a rant or anything, but I really don't understand why you think posting this question on the student room is going to get you any concrete answers without creating somesort of division line between 'Indians' and 'Tamils' (which doesn't quite make sense in itself, but oh well). To be frank, I couldn't care less about what glasses someone walking along the street is wearing. If you want to wear white, wear it. Why do you expect a consensus from us to make your mind up about a pretty simple issue? :confused:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeon28)
    OP, not to have a rant or anything, but I really don't understand why you think posting this question on the student room is going to get you any concrete answers without creating somesort of division line between 'Indians' and 'Tamils' (which doesn't quite make sense in itself, but oh well). To be frank, I couldn't care less about what glasses someone walking along the street is wearing. If you want to wear white, wear it. Why do you expect a consensus from us to make your mind up about a pretty simple issue? :confused:
    Jheez. A bit harsh! I just wanted some opinions. The glasses are pretty bold and expensive (with my prescription) and I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on a decision I may later regret.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry if I've hurt your feelings, but I guess I just got annoyed with everyone 'just going with the flow of the stereotype', and paired with that the thread question just seemed like a petty issue to start a division over 'Indians' and 'Tamils'. I'm Tamilian, and so naturally I got pissed off by some of the posts on here.However, once again, I'm sorry if I've come across as being quite harsh.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not all Tamils are dark you know :unimpressed:
    Why do you give a **** about skin colour?
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShredMaster)
    :congrtas: :borat:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am punjabi, and i dont wear glasses. However if i was to wear some, i would pick out black. White glasses contrast too much with brown skin.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeon28)
    I'm sorry if I've hurt your feelings, but I guess I just got annoyed with everyone 'just going with the flow of the stereotype', and paired with that the thread question just seemed like a petty issue to start a division over 'Indians' and 'Tamils'. I'm Tamilian, and so naturally I got pissed off by some of the posts on here.However, once again, I'm sorry if I've come across as being quite harsh.
    I completely agree, people are extremely ignorant (I.e. not even knowing or able to understand that TN is a massive state in India). What's worse is that the vast majority of the time those comments are intended as jibes or intended to mock ... so there's no defending it either.

Hell, even my good friends do it ... they don't know how much it hurts ...

To answer the question, yes white glasses would look fine.
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ree69)
    Jheez. A bit harsh! I just wanted some opinions. The glasses are pretty bold and expensive (with my prescription) and I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on a decision I may later regret.
    I say go for it....According to a documentary on discover channel... females are attracted to men who are diff. or stand out from the crowd...ironically the man(in the documentary) was testing this statement using 2 diff. types of sunglasses (normal shades:cool: n other a golden Vegas aviator look kind of thing) !!
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    My ex had black frames with cream around the inside edges, and they looked good. I think a mixture of white and black would be nice, like:
    http://www.boots.com/en/STING-XSI811_1152151/

http://www.boots.com/en/Diva-Adiva-DV-27_1152772/

Or red and black would be a good combo.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ree69)
    By white glasses, I mean bold white spectacles.

Here's what I mean: http://www.eyewearbrands.com/designe...01571%20white/

Something like that, maybe without the multi-coloured sides..

Anyway, say you saw some brown dude wearing that, would your initial reaction be

"Woah that guy's so...cool".

or.

"Hahahahaha what a knob".

Honest responses here! I genuinely think I could pull this off. Unfortunately I'm not giong to post pictures of myself , but try to imagine it.
    To be honest, I'd think your freshie.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    A thread about glasses turns into a bitch-fest about skin colour :sigh:

Indians will always be Indians.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShredMaster)
    Because I am Tamil... If people are gonna stereotype that all Tamils are dark, then yeah I will give a **** about it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ree69)
    By white glasses, I mean bold white spectacles.

Here's what I mean: http://www.eyewearbrands.com/designe...01571%20white/

Something like that, maybe without the multi-coloured sides..

Anyway, say you saw some brown dude wearing that, would your initial reaction be

"Woah that guy's so...cool".

or.

"Hahahahaha what a knob".

Honest responses here! I genuinely think I could pull this off. Unfortunately I'm not giong to post pictures of myself , but try to imagine it.
    Awesome. Go for it!
    Especially if you have nice hair. Which Indians tend to.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 9, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.