The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York postgraduate applicants 2012/3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I guess it all comes down to the kind of city you want to live in, both are good unis; the only difference is the cities' size, Birmingham is massive compared to York.
This was one of the main reasons (along with academic standards) I ended up choosing York instead of some other university, its smallish location :-)....
Just posted this in case it can help you make up your mind :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Galaxy Nexus
University of York
York
Reply 41
Original post by lex25288
I guess it all comes down to the kind of city you want to live in, both are good unis; the only difference is the cities' size, Birmingham is massive compared to York.
This was one of the main reasons (along with academic standards) I ended up choosing York instead of some other university, its smallish location :-)....
Just posted this in case it can help you make up your mind :-)

Thank you for your help. I have received an acceptance letter from Bham this morning. It will be hard to me make a choice...

The size of the city doesn't matters to me, I give more importance to life cost and rent costs and other stuff like the number of international students who are studying at York, for example.
Reply 42
As I said York is quite small compared to Birmingham, so private rent is gonna be cheaper for sure! I was having a look online before being allocated a room at one of the colleges, private rent is usually 70-90 pw + utilities. As for the on-campus accommodation, it is the same as the private one give or take. Only it's on campus which means always being on time for lectures :-)
As for the number of international students I really don't know about the statistics, sorry.
Are you from the EU? If you don't mind me asking.
'Cause if you are, then you will be eligible to apply for on-campus accommodation (at one of the colleges) but you will not be guaranteed a room. If you are from outside the EU, you will be allocated a room for certain.
The reason I am saying all this is that when I applied for accommodation (and that was during the first half of June) most of the en suite rooms had already been taken and I had to settle (i did get an en suite, just not at the college I wanted, 'cause there weren't any left).... This is all' cause I am from the EU, if you are not then that's a completely different story!
The point I was trying to make was: if you are from outside the EU take all the time you need, otherwise think fast because either here or at Birmingham non-EU students are always gonna be privileged when it comes to being allocated a room.
If you are still waiting for an offer from Birmingham, do what I did for York and phone them up: since I wanted to get into their programme so badly but had other offers that were about to expire, I gave them a call half a month after submitting my application and spoke to the department of computer science who told me that I had been recommended, so I waited for their letter :-). If they had told me that I didn't meet their requirements, I would have chosen one of the others who had given me an unconditional offer :-).
So when you have some time, give the university of Birmingham a call and ask their department of computer science about your application :-)
When you apply for a programme at any uni, the admissions' office usually sends the application down to the correct department who then make the actual decision :-)
Depending on when you sent in the application, they might have already made up their mind, but the uni's admissions' office might have not forwarded you their decision yet :-) ( cut them some slack, this is one of the busiest times of the year for them :-) )

Good luck with whichever uni you end up choosing :-)

(edited 11 years ago)
They havent changed conditional firm accommodation dates, have they?
I'm coming to study for the MA in Modern and Contemporary Literature (providing I get my 2:1, results Tuesday). Any other English goers?

I'm from Yarm so I'll be commuting in.
Reply 45
Original post by lex25288

The point I was trying to make was: if you are from outside the EU take all the time you need, otherwise think fast because either here or at Birmingham non-EU students are always gonna be privileged when it comes to being allocated a room.
Nexus

Thanks for your advices. Yes, I am from EU.

As I said, I have also been accepted in Bham, so I have to make up my mind. I have been reading Bham accomodation's policy and they guarantee a room for both EU (except UK) and non-EU students.

Have you hear about the "Find a Housemate" event? Also I have to say that the college system of York sounds great.
Reply 46
Congrats on your offer from Birmingham!
I read about the event on the university website, but it's in September.... I also liked the idea of a college system, so I just went for it :-)
Besides I already lived in private accommodation during my BSc and I have to say I didn't really enjoy it that much....
If you are in a college and end up not liking your flatmates, you can always go and bother other students who live next door :-)
In a building where your flat and another one two stories above yours are the only two that have students living in them, not so much :-)

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lowradiation
I'm coming to study for the MA in Modern and Contemporary Literature (providing I get my 2:1, results Tuesday). Any other English goers?

Hey, I shall be doing the same course as you providing I also get a 2:1 or above on Wednesday, so excited to be doing the course and to live in York!
Reply 48
I just accepted my offer to study for the MA in International Relations - anyone else on the same course (or something similar)? I'm beyond excited to be back at uni again.

I also did my undergrad at York so I'd be more than happy to answer any questions about the uni/city/anything else. :smile:
Original post by lowradiation

Original post by GrudgeReinhold
Hey, I shall be doing the same course as you providing I also get a 2:1 or above on Wednesday, so excited to be doing the course and to live in York!

I'm going for the Modern and Contemporary Lit. course too! Kind of worrying about how much history/ other artistic mediums/ sociology-based stuff that might be on the course. I really am a one-trick pony and can only cope with literature :P
Original post by TheHyacinthGirl
I'm going for the Modern and Contemporary Lit. course too! Kind of worrying about how much history/ other artistic mediums/ sociology-based stuff that might be on the course. I really am a one-trick pony and can only cope with literature :P

I shouldn't think that will be a problem, I think the MA encourages students and gives them the opportunities to use other mediums alongside literature (Theory, history, sociology, art history, film etc.), but it won't be forced upon you I doubt.

Nice to meet another who will be on your course, check your messages I've introduced myself.
Reply 51
So which college are people joining? Possible to select this now on evision. Wentworth seems like the most appropriate one as a postgrad only college, but interested to hear people's views!
Reply 52
I went with Halifax, because I read online that it's got a strong sense of community, like a small neighbourhood :-)
The CS department (where most of my lectures will be held), the sports centre and Halifax college are all located on the southern part of the Heslington campus. :-)
Almost forgot, I also read it's got a separate block for postgrads. :biggrin:

(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending