The Student Room Group

Biology case study - effects of drug on insulin

I have a question, it has given me an example of a test where a control group and a group exposed to drug x are injected with glucose and their insulin levels checked - with drug x they are slightly reduced. The question now asks me for another test to check treatment's results on insulin secretion and possible consequence, and I have been researching all week, and I am so confused. All I can think of is inducing hypoglycemia? if that would even work? injecting insulin and measuring insulin wouldn't work though?...
I am awful at problem solving things like that, essays and studying for exams - no problem but this has had me confused for a week....if anyone can even point me in the right direction I would be so grateful. :confused:
Original post by gemdiamonds
I have a question, it has given me an example of a test where a control group and a group exposed to drug x are injected with glucose and their insulin levels checked - with drug x they are slightly reduced. The question now asks me for another test to check treatment's results on insulin secretion and possible consequence, and I have been researching all week, and I am so confused. All I can think of is inducing hypoglycemia? if that would even work? injecting insulin and measuring insulin wouldn't work though?...
I am awful at problem solving things like that, essays and studying for exams - no problem but this has had me confused for a week....if anyone can even point me in the right direction I would be so grateful. :confused:

For measuring insulin secretion, can you not measure Pancreatic ß-cell function somehow?

Measure time taken for blood glucose level to decrease, from say 10 mmol/L to 5 mmol/L - that should give you an indication of insulin secretion.
hmmm unusual question. the only think i can think of is getting a lab result for insulin/C-peptide to see if that have been changed? i can think of indirect effects if this was abnormal but those ultimately all center around this more direct test.

you cant really induce hypoglycemia as its very dangerous, also what would it even show? you already know there is impaired glucose tolerance.

Original post by thegodofgod
For measuring insulin secretion, can you not measure Pancreatic ß-cell function somehow?

Measure time taken for blood glucose level to decrease, from say 10 mmol/L to 5 mmol/L - that should give you an indication of insulin secretion.

that's what has already been done.
Reply 3
The question is : the researchers have been interested in studying the effect of insulin secretion in animals exposed to drug x. Outline another test which could be undertaken to find out more about the effects of the fetal treatment on insulin secretion and its consequence.

The original test being - glucose injection, and insulin secretion measured in two groups, one with one without.

Originally I was confused if I was still even looking into drug x, and if I am (which I think I am) I know drug x is going to reduce levels on insulin, so surely thats always going to be the consequence.. and I am trying to just find something else, which basically effects insulin secretion, use that to check.
I dont actually have to carry out the experiment, but have to write what would be done and the possible consequence...
I totally feel like I am missing something!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending