The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by notnek
Is this the same question as the one you PM'd me?

Indeed it is lol, something is not working out.

If a function is bounded by a domain measured in radians, I would still find the stationary points the same way, i.e converting something into a quadratic finding the 0 solutions.

The wheels are off. I must be making things a whole lot more difficult than they are.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by SubAtomic
Yeah I get that, it is a many one function though and what I get after all the calculating is incorrect. I already know the solution to the integral as have differentiated a similar equation already, something is not working out when I do the [F(x)]ab\displaystyle [F(x)]^b_a

May be some of the area is below the x-axis, so you are getting the 'net area'. You need to change the limits in this case.
Reply 62
If I was to have an integral like this 18(xn+2)7(x1) dx\displaystyle\int\dfrac{18 \cdot (x^n+2)}{7(x-1)} \ dx

Then I could take out the 18 and leave the 7 in?

18(xn+2)7(x1) dx\displaystyle 18 \cdot \int\dfrac{(x^n+2)}{7(x-1)} \ dx

Or if the integral was

18(xn+2)(x1) dx\displaystyle\int\dfrac{18 \cdot (x^n+2)}{(x-1)} \ dx but I needed a 7 in the denominator then I would have 126(xn+2)7(x1) dx\displaystyle\int\dfrac{126 \cdot (x^n+2)}{7(x-1)} \ dx and could take the 126 outside the integral 126(xn+2)7(x1) dx\displaystyle 126 \cdot \int\dfrac{(x^n+2)}{7(x-1)} \ dx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 63
If I was to have an integral like this 18(xn+2)7(x1) dx\displaystyle\int\dfrac{18 \cdot (x^n+2)}{7(x-1)} \ dx

Or if the integral was

18(xn+2)(x1) dx\displaystyle\int\dfrac{18 \cdot (x^n+2)}{(x-1)} \ dx but I needed a 7 in the denominator then I would have 126(xn+2)7(x1) dx\displaystyle\int\dfrac{126 \cdot (x^n+2)}{7(x-1)} \ dx and could take the 126 outside the integral 126(xn+2)7(x1) dx\displaystyle 126 \cdot \int\dfrac{(x^n+2)}{7(x-1)} \ dx

The answer to both of your question is yes.
Reply 64

Or if the integral was

18(xn+2)(x1) dx\displaystyle\int\dfrac{18 \cdot (x^n+2)}{(x-1)} \ dx but I needed a 7 in the denominator then I would have 126(xn+2)7(x1) dx\displaystyle\int\dfrac{126 \cdot (x^n+2)}{7(x-1)} \ dx

Yes, you can do this.

And you can also take both out.

18(xn+2)7(x1) dx=18(xn+2)7(x1) dx=1718(xn+2)(x1) dx=187(xn+2)(x1) dx \displaystyle\int\dfrac{18 \cdot (x^n+2)}{7(x-1)} \ dx = \displaystyle 18 \cdot \int\dfrac{(x^n+2)}{7(x-1)} \ dx = \displaystyle \frac17 \int\dfrac{18(x^n+2)}{(x-1)} \ dx = \frac{18}7 \int\dfrac{(x^n+2)}{(x-1)} \ dx
Reply 65
Cheers, no idea what is going on with my definite integral then:s-smilie:

You need to give us the question, so that we can see what is going on with it.

Otherwise, like before, wait for the dream.
Reply 66
Original post by raheem94
You need to give us the question, so that we can see what is going on with it.

Otherwise, like before, wait for the dream.

You aren't very creative are ya:tongue:
Reply 67

PS Raheem what is this talk of changing the bounds? I need to work out above x-axis so below is irrelevant

You were having some problems finding the area by integration.

In integration, area below the x-axis in -ve, so i was suggesting that the graph of your function, might also be in the -ve region.
Reply 68
You aren't very creative are ya:tongue:

So true :frown:
Reply 69
So let me get this air tight as am going to have to perservere with this, little different example

18(xn+2)y(x1) dx\displaystyle\int\dfrac{18 \cdot (x^n+2)y}{(x-1)} \ dx but I needed a 7 in the denominator then I would have 126(xn+2)y7(x1) dx\displaystyle\int\dfrac{126 \cdot (x^n+2)y}{7(x-1)} \ dx and could take the 126 outside the integral 126(xn+2)y7(x1) dx\displaystyle 126 \cdot \int\dfrac{(x^n+2)y}{7(x-1)} \ dx

Plus in general when I ask a question I am a bit cryptic about you can look at it as me not posting the answers to an exam you are sitting tomorrow type situation. Sorry if this is annoying but it is the way it has to be.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 70
The confusion has come from me using integers instead of radians for the stationary points:rolleyes:
Reply 71
So let me get this air tight as am going to have to perservere with this, little different example

18(xn+2)y(x1) dx\displaystyle\int\dfrac{18 \cdot (x^n+2)y}{(x-1)} \ dx but I needed a 7 in the denominator then I would have 126(xn+2)y7(x1) dx\displaystyle\int\dfrac{126 \cdot (x^n+2)y}{7(x-1)} \ dx and could take the 126 outside the integral 126(xn+2)y7(x1) dx\displaystyle 126 \cdot \int\dfrac{(x^n+2)y}{7(x-1)} \ dx

That's also correct.
Reply 72
Original post by notnek
That's also correct.

So the area under a graph a continuous function f(x)=[F(x)]ab\displaystyle f(x) =[F(x)]^b_a

Something isn't working out, have looked at some definite integrals in an under grad book, looked through my course books and am still non the wiser.

Will have a go at one here but do not have a clue why this isn't applicable to the one I am stuck on, maybe I need to have four different intervals within the domain, like [a,c] and [c,b]:s-smilie:

0π(cos(3x)+6sin(4x)) dx\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi} (\cos (3x)+6 \sin (4x)) \ dx

=[13sin(3x)32cos(4x)]0π\displaystyle = \left[\frac{1}{3} \sin(3x)-\frac{3}{2} \cos(4x) \right]_0^{\pi}

=(13sin(3π)32cos(4π))(13sin(0)32cos(0))\displaystyle = \left(\frac{1}{3} \sin(3 \pi)- \frac{3}{2} \cos(4 \pi)\right) - \left(\frac{1}{3} \sin(0) - \frac{3}{2} \cos(0)\right)

Need to pop out now but will come back and edit this in a bit, please point out any mistakes in the meantime.

=(032)(032)=0\displaystyle = \left(0- \frac{3}{2} \right)- \left(0-\frac{3}{2} \right) = 0
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 73
[QUOTE="SubAtomic;37436262"]So the area under a graph a continuous function f(x)=[F(x)]ab\displaystyle f(x) =[F(x)]^b_a

Something isn't working out, have looked at some definite integrals in an under grad book, looked through my course books and am still non the wiser.

Will have a go at one here but do not have a clue why this isn't applicable to the one I am stuck on, maybe I need to have four different intervals within the domain, like [a,c] and [c,b]:s-smilie:

0π(cos(3x)+6sin(4x)) dx\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi} (\cos (3x)+6 \sin (4x)) \ dx

=[13sin(3x)32cos(4x)]0π\displaystyle = \left[\frac{1}{3} \sin(3x)-\frac{3}{2} \cos(4x) \right]_0^{\pi}

=(13sin(3π)32cos(4π))(13sin(0)(32cos(0))\displaystyle = \left(\frac{1}{3} \sin(3 \pi)- \frac{3}{2} \cos(4 \pi)\right) - \left(\frac{1}{3} \sin(0) - (\frac{3}{2} \cos(0)\right)

Need to pop out now but will come back and edit this in a bit, please point out any mistakes in the meantime.

=\displaystyle =
It's all good so far.

By the way, when you say, "it's not working out", how do you know?
Reply 74
Original post by notnek
It's all good so far.

By the way, when you say, "it's not working out", how do you know?

As you can see now have edited it I am making a newb error somewhere surely, and I have used mathcad to find the increased function so that is where my suspicions come from.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 75
As you can see now have edited it I am making a newb error somewhere surely, and I have used mathcad to find the increased function so that is where my suspicions come from.

Ah I see your problem. When you find this integral between 0 and pi, the 2 regions above the axis cancel with the two regions below the axis (you can see this by looking at the graph), to leave you with 0. So your calculations were correct.

Which area are you looking to find?
Reply 76
Original post by notnek
Ah I see your problem.
Which area are you looking to find?

either would be good lol, they are both identical other than the negative sign aren't they? What am I doing wrong?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 77
either would be good lol, they are both identical other than the negative sign aren't they, what am I doing wrong?

You may want to find the total area i.e. the sum of the areas of the four regions.

If you want to find the area above the x-axis, then you need to consider the two regions separately. And for that you'd need to know where the graph crosses the x-axis. Once you know the two regions, [a,b] and [c,d], then the area would be:

abcos(3x)+sin(4x)+cdcos(3x)+sin(4x)\displaystyle \int_a^b \cos(3x)+\sin(4x) + \int_c^d \cos(3x)+\sin(4x)

Is this still an example question? I don't think you'd have this problem with the question you PM'd me.
Reply 78
Original post by notnek

Is this still an example question? I don't think you'd have this problem with the question you PM'd me.

Yep still an example of sorts to make sure am doing things "right", and yep get ya the function I pm'd you doesn't cross the x-axis in the interval given so I have no idea what is going on.

What module of the A-level syllabus would you say the question I pm'd is similar to (taken from)?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 79
Yep still an example of sorts to make sure am doing things "right", and yep get ya the function I pm'd you doesn't cross the x-axis in the interval given so I have no idea what is going on.

What module of the A-level syllabus would you say the question I pm'd is similar to (taken from)?

For the main question, it wants you to find the area above the x-axis between 0 and 2pi. There is only one region where there is area above the x-axis in this interval. Have you realised this already? And do you know the endpoints of this region?

If you just integrate between 0 and 2pi, then your answer will be the area of the region above the x-axis minus the area of the region below the x-axis. The limits in your integral must refer to the region that you want to find the area for.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest