The Student Room Group
im not 100% sure i want to do law but its definitely one of the strongest possibilities for me. my interest in law was triggered by a week's work experience in a solicitor's firm because it just made me think 'wow this is so fun/interesting/varied' and the more i research into the career, the more it seems to appeal to me.
Reply 2
I want to read law because im genuinely interested in the subject. I know a lot of people at college who have applied (to places like Nottingham Trent and Aston) purely because they think they're going to make oads of money as a barrister or solicitor.

Im not even sure i want to be a solicitor.... i think id like to join the police force. Law just interests me so much, and its a lot of work so i think it will satisfy me and challenge me :smile:
Law is motivating and a highly rewarding course. I find that if you know law, you have better chances of protecting yourself from hoax and cheats than people who don't. Plus if you are entering into fields like politics or business, it helps a lot.
Reply 4
I decided I wanted to study law when I was younger and couldn't. After working as a secretary in various law firms I decided to go for the part-time degree when I had the chance.

Although some lawyers have VERY boring jobs (and don't kid yourself that it's all interesting!) I the pros outweight the cons of it. It's an ever changing subject which I think adds to the appeal, you'll never know everything there is to know on it.

I want to work as a prosecutor for the CPS when I'm qualified, not as highly paid as some areas of law, but it's job satisfaction I'm more interested in and this would be it for me. :smile:
Hello Killiefan,im considering doing a part time degree whilst hopefully working for the CPS or HMCS.I am also interested in criminal law (hence the cps would be great for me).

If you have time could you tell me a bit about how you find it and so on,what your doing at the moment etc..
Reply 6
I'm doing the part-time degree at DMU Leicester. In my first year, and taking Criminal Process and Procedure, Criminal Law and Contract Law. Finding it quite demanding working full time, going to uni two nights a week, fitting in all the studying required and having a bit of a life.

It is hard work, but you get out of it what you put into it. We were told when we started that around 20 hours per week study is required on top of the two nights but it depends on what you want out of it, some people do less, some do more. I feel quite jaded now, but it's only 5 weeks till the easter break and then it's exams so the year will be over thankfully.

I am really enjoying the challenge though, I think so long as you are dedicated and set yourself a timetable of when and what to study it should be fine - just don't kid yourself about the amount of work involved like I did!!!

Latest